Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 April 2011
Just received book and have found it to be exactly what I wanted. I have a copy of the 'York Notes' TKAM revision book, but found it was too in depth for when I just wanted to revise the basics.
If you want a SIMPLE refresh of the text and each character, it's great. The end of the book contains sample grade answers, and although I wouldn't rely on this to give you original analysis, it is good if you just want to go over the basic points and quotes for each character.
The book contains: Cartoon breakdown of the whole text (not very useful), chapter-by-chapter breakdown of text (good if you aren't going to re-read the book), practice exam questions (useful for revision but not asked in the style of the exam and often too specific compared to likely exam questions), character breakdowns (good - with quotes, but not enough in my opinion), run through of the book's themes (good for the exam), "The Writer's Craft" pages showing WHY and HOW Harper Lee does things (not enough of this IMO), a short summary of book's historical background and sample answers for different grades.
Hope this gives you more of an idea of the book and what it contains - my only criticism is that I HATE the text that CGP use, and the pictures are often unhelpful. I would make sure you feel you can revise from the CGP format, or you will find this very difficult to concentrate on.
on 22 September 2011
There are several study guides published for To Kill a Mockingbird. In my eagerness to buy one at the start of term, to capture my child's interest in the book and forthcoming GCSE, I chose this study guide after a fairly rigorous study of the date of publication, authors and so forth. I did not buy blind without any idea of what I was purchasing. Nevertheless, I am hugely disappointed with this book, with its authorship, its presentation, its child-like cartoon drawings and overly simplified and grammatically poor analysis of the text, plot and characters.

Please do not buy this book if you have any hopes or aspirations for your child at GCSE. The narrative and perspective of the author comes through strong and clear at every turn, creating an additional and disturbing subjective commentary on the book. It is unnecessary, and does the real value of the book, no good service at all.

The cartoon drawings, the simplificaiton of character and very base analysis of what is going on in the story, would seem to be aimed at those entered for GCSE but with little expectation of attainment at a good pass grade. It really is a waste of paper, and I would suggest, of the author's time and the publishers commitment.
on 24 September 2010
I got this for the GCSE's I'm currently studying and its great
Explains all the things I need to know and is very easy to understand
I recommend for anyone studying To Kill a Mockingbird for GCSE
on 17 October 2013
Easy to access, with lots of different approaches to analysing the text to keep it interesting. Good for reluctant learners.
on 1 February 2015
These CGP Study Guides proved to be helpful to my kids. They supported the work they were doing at school and also gave a guide as to the expected perspective of possible exam questions. i.e. what an examiner may be looking for as an answer when asking about a character and their view of the situation they were experiencing.
on 6 February 2014
This is a great book - have purchased others of the GCSE literature guides - they are very good and informative, and give you extra insight into the book. I purchased this for my husband for Christmas, along with the book "To Kill a Mockingbird" - just great! LOVE IT!!
on 13 April 2012
This guide is so easy to use and really good if your studying the book for a literature exam. There are indepth summaries of the book and the characters, themes and plot. A great buy for a couple of quid. helped me a lot with my exam preparation
on 18 June 2010
This was for my daughter to help with her GCSE, she said it was excellent.
on 25 February 2014
This is a very clear and comprehensive guide to " To Kill a Mockingbird". Good illustration and map etc really help and the quotes are highlighted well and put into clear topics. Just need to get my teenager to read it now!
on 25 November 2015
My son is in Yr 8 and he needed it for his KAP 1 test. He had already seen the film. He found the book very informative and helpful and said that the book not only prepared him well for his test but for class discussions as well