5.0 out of 5 stars Love Love Love
I picked up this book for a ridiculous price in Tesco. Because it was so cheap I didn't have the highest hopes but the blurb interested me so I bought it. I'm so pleased I did.

Published 22 months ago by E. Stokes

3.0 out of 5 stars No brainer
Enjoyable read. Not much too it ending could have been a bit stronger. Felt a little unfinished. Funny at times.
Published 18 months ago by Louise Bruce

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Love Love, 18 May 2013
E. Stokes (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leftovers (Paperback)

The story had me hooked from the very first page. The thing I liked most was that the characters were so believable - flawed, but not so much they became caricatures, also the description is so good that if you squint you can actually see Susies office, and I'm sure I can perfectly imagine Pear Tree Court.

If Left Overs has a downside, it is one it shares with all my favourite books. I work from home and have little self control. This weekend I'm having to work to make up for the hours I spent reading when I should have been working.

Buy this book. If you have a soul, you'll be glad you did. I'm off to buy Pear Shaped.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great follow-up to Pear Shaped, 21 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Leftovers (Kindle Edition)
Difficult to follow up a cracking debut novel like Pear Shaped, but Stella Newman pulls it off. Again, we might call this chick lit for people who hate chick lit. It's very funny, terrifyingly accurate about the hellhole which is the advertising industry, and splendid in its obsession with food (Newman should probably consider a supplementary career in being a food critic). Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 April 2013
This review is from: Leftovers (Kindle Edition)
So sad that this book had to end. Lovely feel good book, the references to the food just make it all the more perfect. Can't wait to see if stella releases another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Leftovers (Paperback)
Susie is a leftover, 36 and pining over her ex, stuck in a job she hates. She works in an advertising agency, with a bunch of egotists. Convinced if she can just keep the company's pizza company Fletchers happy, she'll bag a promotion and a bonus and she can finally wave goodbye to the career she's grown tired of and set up her own culinary blog. Susie's main love is food, pasta to be precise. She has the perfect pasta for every occasion, pasta for a Monday when you've had a bad day in work, pasta for a lazy weekend, pasta for when you've just seen pictures of your ex and his new girlfriend. Pasta really is the passion of Susie's life and the perfect tonic.

The novel mainly deals with Susie's disastrous dating and attempt to break away from the corporate world into the creative world of blogging and her lack of confidence and things holding her back. She has to deal with lots of awkward dating situations - blokes who are complete idiots, a man she thinks is interested but is married, the return of a childhood sweetheart who's marriage is on the rocks and attending dinner parties as a singleton amongst a sea of happy twosomes.

The things that I like about this book are that it isn't obvious who she will end up with: Jeff, Sam and Daniel all seem like likely candidates at some point. I especially like the ending, it isn't obviously tied up by her falling into someone's arms. There is a strong hint that she might be with someone but it isn't a big romantic ending. I also like how the character grows and evolves from a leftover into a strong confident woman. There is also the theme of leftovers in the pasta recipes Susie makes. I think the loneliness and isolation of her situation is dealt with well, there are times when you really sense how hard and difficult things are for her, getting blown off by her friend who is only interested in her boyfriend and spending weekends alone watching Ryan Gosling films. I also like the depiction of the crazy ad types she works with, the divaish Devron and Karly and Nick, stereotypical creatives who believe its their way or no way.

I didn't particularly like the cover, it looks very girlish and a bit twee, but I picked up the book and liked the quiz at the beginning of the book and the writing style. A great ready, easy to get in to and hysterical in places.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leftovers, 4 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Leftovers (Paperback)
I received a copy of this book from publisher in exchange for a review.
I didn't read the first Stella Newman's book so I didn't know what to expect and started totally afresh. What I know is that I really adore books with food as one of the "characters", although lately there are many books like this. And I mean, many.
Nevertheless, pasta. When I was dieting myself some time ago I was not allowed to eat pasta and my, how I have missed it. I have also read that it is scientifically proofed that when you want to eat pasta it means that your emotions probably have a problem. Looks like it is true:) Because Susie, when problems arise, cook and eat pasta.
One of the strongest points of this story is Susie herself. The author created here a real, a person that we can relate to, because let's admit it, we have all been dumped, we have stalked our exes or their new girlfriends on social net, we have all tried to solve problems by eating junk food, we have all been stuck in a job that we feel is not for us. I've been at least:) And this is what makes Susie a very likeable character. She is also not weak, she is just normal, and when situation calls for this, she can stand for herself as well. I was almost whooping reading her speech at Happy Hour and the way she solved the situation at work.
And there is actually no love story. Some affairs, some romance, yes, there is, but that's all. The novel concentrates more on Susie and her job and on pasta of course as on the romantic. Which was not bad, I must say, it was refreshing and interesting.
The writing flows, it's very easy to follow, it's funny and light and kept me hooked. What's more, it was actually not predictable but it made me hungry, for sure. And I wouldn't say it is some thoughtless read about a woman who hates her job and about pasta. No, there are some serious, deeper moments in this book as well. Altogether, brilliant, witty and clever read.
And today gives pasta for dinner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Book from Stella!, 28 May 2013
This review is from: Leftovers (Kindle Edition)
What I love about the way Stella Newman writes is it is really true to life and her characters are great!! I couldn't put this book down and when I did I wanted to pick it right back up again it was such a fantastic book. I have already recommended it to my friends and also have recommended they read Pear Shaped also!

Keep them coming Stella! Can't wait for the next book!!!! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 April 2013
This review is from: Leftovers (Kindle Edition)
From the very start you are totally gripped! It's quick, witty and has you salivating with both story and food references. I must warn you against reading it if your hungry though, my stomach was seriously far from my friend when I was reading and daydreaming about pasta and cake.

The book follows Susie Rosen through her days as a single, heartbroken, advertisement accounts manager, who's Pasta and Ryan Gosling obsessed. Her once loved Job is going pear shaped (too soon?- I'm such a knob *Hangs head in shame*)

You connect with every character as they honestly are all so very real. You have people in your own life like every single one of them. Even the bitches and back stabbers. This makes it easier to let go and enjoy the book. The excitement you feel when reading this is brilliant, the enthusiasm and sharp humour it's been written with is captivating. It's so down to earth. Bursting full of silliness and giggles, but also sadness and reality. You find yourself furious and tutting at pages and next minute wanting to clap and shout bravo.
I actually nearly did do that you know. Imagine me at the hospital. "Why did you think you could stand unaided Mrs McCormack?" "It was a spur of the moment thing you see Doctor, Susie proper socked it to her rivals at work and it was totally worthy of a round of applause."

I honestly can't tell you enough about this book without going into detail and giving loads of spoilers away. Just trust me though when I say this is a serious must have for your collection. It's everything you could wish for in a chick-lit/rom-com book. It's one of them that stick in your mind when your not reading it. For example: I saw a photograph on Instagram right, and I thought that would be perfect in Susie's kitchen for her Pasta. Honestly, no lie. Like Susie's my mate and not a fictional character. The Picture's along side there to your right.
You get proper involved, I absolutely loved it! There's no better way for reading than like that for me.

What are you waiting for click the link and buy it... you so won't be disappointed.
I'd get some pasta while your out shopping next too. You're gunna need it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 25 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Leftovers (Kindle Edition)
Leftovers...a witty and loveable heroine, a bit of sexual tension, yummy pasta & Ryan Gosling. What's not to love. Roll on the next book...thanks Stella!

5.0 out of 5 stars Left me hungry for more, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Leftovers (Paperback)
Having thoroughly enjoyed Newman's debut novel Pear Shaped, I was excited to read her latest offering of which I devoured in a matter of days. Smart, witty, scarily relatable and laugh out loud funny. She just manages to capture the very essence of us 30-something single girls navigating the stumbling blocks of life, love and relationships and if your a foodie like myself then her books always have the added bonus of having great 'must try' eateries and in Left Overs you get some fabulous recipe tips, with a lovely serving of Ryan Gosling to top it all off. Can't wait for the next one Stella.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable quick read!, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Leftovers (Paperback)
I read this in 24 hours at the weekend (followed by Pear Shaped) and really enjoyed it. Its a bit laborious in some places, she spends a lot of time flashing back to her ex whilst ignoring some lovely men in front of her. However, thankfully it went nice and quickly and as other readers mentioned the second half really picks up the pace. I think I liked it most of all because I could relate the relationship side of it all to my own life, which is nice as some books tend to be a little bit unrealistic in that respect. I also liked that the back of the book you finally got given the recipes!

Leftovers
Leftovers by Stella Newman (Paperback - 25 April 2013)