5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Look At A Famous Historical Adventure
Published on 19 Feb. 2013 by Crux Roesia

3.0 out of 5 stars The King's Mistress
Published on 22 Sept. 2012 by MrsFrank

3.0 out of 5 stars The King's Mistress, 22 Sept. 2012
I found this book a little bit long-winded and somewhat lacking in pace - I know that Charles spent a lot of time poverty stricken and hanging about European courts but did not find it particularly entertaining reading! I also found it difficult to warm to Jane's character - gullible or sanctimonious? Maybe a bit of both - I did find her slightly irritating and skipped quite a few pages that seemed repetitive to me. Not my favourite book or character.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Look At A Famous Historical Adventure, 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The King's Mistress (Paperback)
It's the seventeenth century and the olde world of England is in turmoil, with one king deposed and one in waiting on the run for his very life. It is into this maelstrom that Gillian Bagwell takes us, on a journey of suspense, history, adventure, love and lust, recreating in a marvellously written, addictive manner the flight and exile of Prince Charles Stuart, later King Charles II, and his fall and rise in the annals of British history through the eyes (and emotions) of Jane, daughter of a royalist family.
From her rural home to the docks of the south coast, to France, Flanders and back again, Jane tells us the story of a tempestuous time in British history, where the very foundations of the ancient monarchy was ripped from its soil then gradually replanted again, and her unavoidable love for the man on whom that restoration rests.
I found this intriguing, beautifully written and captivating from the start and though, as another reviewer comments, there is a dip in the pace/action when Jane, along with many others of Charles's court (including the man himself), has to suffer the hardships of exile from those she loves, I still really enjoyed this story and was sad to come to the final page and close the book.
More like this, please, Gillian!!

4.0 out of 5 stars suky says, 8 Nov. 2012
this is a good book for a cold night - early to bed with my Kindle. Hope I can make it last at lrast two nights!

5.0 out of 5 stars The King's Mistress, 23 Jan. 2013
The King's Mistress is areally good historical read, interesting and with enough detail and description to bring the story to life

5.0 out of 5 stars The King' s Mistress, 31 Jan. 2013
Very enjoyable and truly believable. WILL be reading more of Gillian Bagwell. In line with Philippa Gregory. Next one please

5.0 out of 5 stars The kings mistress, 25 Jan. 2013
Enchanting. Read in a day as couldn't put it down for long. Left me with a smile and looking for more.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 21 Feb. 2013
this was not a book that I would normally have read, but I have been trying different books on my kindle and I must say I am very pleased I tried it. A very good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable., 20 Feb. 2013
This was my first book by this author and I will certainly be looking out for her other books. I found it flowing and easy to read whilst being informative of the period.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating history., 17 Feb. 2013
K. J. Daniels (Walsall, UK) - See all my reviews
This novel was a gift from someone who just knew I like historical novels. By pure coincidence and unknown to the gift giver, the main character, Jane Lane was born and brought up a stone's throw from where I live and many of the manor houses and places mentioned in the story are very familiar to me. There is a school named after Jane Lane in my home town built on the site where she grew up.
It was Jane Lane who helped King Charles II escape to France and the author tells the story beautifully and accurately. Whether or not Jane became one of his mistresses is unknown but its very interesting to contemplate what may have been.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 14 Jan. 2013
thought this was a great read especially if you enjoy the Phillipa Greggory novels about the tudor court & Henry VIII

The King's Mistress
The King's Mistress by Gillian Bagwell (Paperback - 19 July 2012)