• Ruby

Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 June 2012
This is the first Marie Maxwell book I have read and finished it pretty quickly. I fell in love with one of the characters, there were a few twists and turns and I didn't for one minute predict the ending. Looking forward to reading Gracie!
Ruby is the first novel from Marie Maxwell, and was published by Avon books earlier this year.

Marie Maxwell is better known as Bernardine Kennedy, author of seven contemporary novels. I can remember clearly reading her first novel Everything Is Not Enough, in Cyprus, in 2001. I was hooked and have read each of her books as they were released. It's been a while, but she's back - with a new genre, a new publisher and a new name.

Ruby is the first of four books and is set in the 1950s and 60s and although not quite as 'edgy' as her previous stories, it really is a compelling read.

Ruby is 15 years old and has been living in the peaceful town of Melton for five years. An evacuee, she was sent to live with Dr George Wheaton and his wife Babs who have treated her as their own daughter. When Ray, Ruby's older brother arrives unexpectedly and demands that she returns home to London, Ruby is devastated. She knows that with her Father now dead, and bully Ray as the head of the household, she will be expected to cook, clean and look after her elderly Grandmother. Her dreams of continuing her educations and becoming a nurse are dashed.
Once back in London, Ruby's fears are realised. Ray appears to be more evil and hateful than ever and her Mother shows her no affection. She does find affection from bad-boy Johnnie Riordan - Ray's arch-enemy, older and quite intriguing to her.
When Ruby realises that she is pregnant, she knows that she has to leave London and flees back to her beloved Melton.
Ruby grows and matures and deals with heartbreak and tragedy along the way.

Ruby is a feisty character, she sometimes makes the wrong decision, she can be headstrong and stubborn, but her story is a great read. With a cast of characters that are so well drawn this is a gritty tale of family and relationships. Tackling some hard-hitting social issues including unmarried mothers, mental illness and black market dealings incorporated with charismatic characters, this is a really satisfying read. A great start to the series - I'm really looking forward to reading about Gracie next.
on 2 July 2012
Very enjoyable book from start to finish and knowing the area in which it is set, adds to the enjoyment. All of the charecters are likeable in their own way and complete the story. Am looking forward to the follow up "Gracie".

I would highly recommend this book for the holiday season.
on 10 June 2012
Cracking read, well written characters living out the challenges of life in the 1940's and 50's. A great one for the beach.
This is the first book by this author I had read. It looked like a book that I would enjoy, I wasn't disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, all the characters came to life. Ruby was so real to me. I followed her right through this story with interest. Her friend Gracie is going to be featured in the next follow up book and I can't wait.

It wasn't until I got the the end of this read that I saw the author writes under another name, bernadine kennedy then I realized, I had read all of her books to date!

I would highly recommend this book you will not be disappointed.
on 20 July 2012
This was a fairly two dimensional book. It had all the writing style of an Enid Blyton Secret Seven book, but for all that I wanted to know what happened to the main character so it can't have been all that bad. I can best describe it as being similar in style to a woman's magazine short story. It was cheap for the Kindle though and probably fine for a flight. If you are not too demanding of style or plotting ability it's okay.
on 4 July 2012
Enjoyed this book very much, well researched and thoroughly enjoyable. A great page turner, I would recommend as a good holiday read.
on 27 July 2012
When I started this book I didn't expect to get very far. The writing style feels rushed and suggests almost as if this is the outline of the novel and not the novel itself; it descends into meaningless cliche at times and some of the dialogue is strained and unnatural - but despite all this I found myself really drawn into the story and had to keep reading.
Ruby is a well-rounded, sympathetic character and I rooted for her early on. All the characters are well-defined and have real traits you can identify with. The period is obviously well-researched and the amount of background detail is just right and does not interrupt the flow of the story. I felt a real sense of place as the story moved between Walthamstow, Southend and the country village.
If only the writing itself was as creative and inventive as the actual story, this novel would be lifted into the 'superb' category, but for all its faults it's a real page-turner and I was sorry when I got to the end. Can't wait for 'Gracie' to be published.
on 31 December 2013
Excellent story line - really enjoyed reading this book - will read more by this author. I can recommend this book
on 19 July 2012
Downloaded to my Kindle for 99p I didn't expect much but it was a fantastic read. The storyline kept me gripped from start to finish and it was not at all predictable. I totally disagree with the review by Anne I, this is definitely not "Mills and Boon rubbish", more in the line of Anna Jacobs. I can't wait until the sequel Gracie is published next year....I bet that won't be at such a bargain price! In the meantime I've found out that Marie Maxwell also writes as Bernadette Kennedy so it will be a case of forget the housework and get reading!