5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it
This is the first Marie Maxwell book I have read and finished it pretty quickly. I fell in love with one of the characters, there were a few twists and turns and I didn't for one minute predict the ending. Looking forward to reading Gracie!
Published 22 months ago by Claire

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy Reading
Published 21 months ago by B. Robertson

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 10 Jun 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love Ruby!, 18 July 2012
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ruby (Paperback)
Ruby is the first novel from Marie Maxwell, and was published by Avon books earlier this year.

Marie Maxwell is better known as Bernardine Kennedy, author of seven contemporary novels. I can remember clearly reading her first novel Everything Is Not Enough, in Cyprus, in 2001. I was hooked and have read each of her books as they were released. It's been a while, but she's back - with a new genre, a new publisher and a new name.

Ruby is the first of four books and is set in the 1950s and 60s and although not quite as 'edgy' as her previous stories, it really is a compelling read.

Ruby is 15 years old and has been living in the peaceful town of Melton for five years. An evacuee, she was sent to live with Dr George Wheaton and his wife Babs who have treated her as their own daughter. When Ray, Ruby's older brother arrives unexpectedly and demands that she returns home to London, Ruby is devastated. She knows that with her Father now dead, and bully Ray as the head of the household, she will be expected to cook, clean and look after her elderly Grandmother. Her dreams of continuing her educations and becoming a nurse are dashed.
Once back in London, Ruby's fears are realised. Ray appears to be more evil and hateful than ever and her Mother shows her no affection. She does find affection from bad-boy Johnnie Riordan - Ray's arch-enemy, older and quite intriguing to her.
When Ruby realises that she is pregnant, she knows that she has to leave London and flees back to her beloved Melton.
Ruby grows and matures and deals with heartbreak and tragedy along the way.

Ruby is a feisty character, she sometimes makes the wrong decision, she can be headstrong and stubborn, but her story is a great read. With a cast of characters that are so well drawn this is a gritty tale of family and relationships. Tackling some hard-hitting social issues including unmarried mothers, mental illness and black market dealings incorporated with charismatic characters, this is a really satisfying read. A great start to the series - I'm really looking forward to reading about Gracie next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Proper page turner, 10 Jun 2012
Karen A. Bailey (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ruby (Kindle Edition)
Cracking read, well written characters living out the challenges of life in the 1940's and 50's. A great one for the beach.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT READ, 2 July 2012
This review is from: Ruby (Kindle Edition)
Very enjoyable book from start to finish and knowing the area in which it is set, adds to the enjoyment. All of the charecters are likeable in their own way and complete the story. Am looking forward to the follow up "Gracie".

I would highly recommend this book for the holiday season.

5.0 out of 5 stars My cup of tea, 6 July 2012
This review is from: Ruby (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book by this author I had read. It looked like a book that I would enjoy, I wasn't disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, all the characters came to life. Ruby was so real to me. I followed her right through this story with interest. Her friend Gracie is going to be featured in the next follow up book and I can't wait.

It wasn't until I got the the end of this read that I saw the author writes under another name, bernadine kennedy then I realized, I had read all of her books to date!

I would highly recommend this book you will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy Reading, 20 July 2012
B. Robertson "Fauxfax" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ruby (Kindle Edition)
This was a fairly two dimensional book. It had all the writing style of an Enid Blyton Secret Seven book, but for all that I wanted to know what happened to the main character so it can't have been all that bad. I can best describe it as being similar in style to a woman's magazine short story. It was cheap for the Kindle though and probably fine for a flight. If you are not too demanding of style or plotting ability it's okay.

5.0 out of 5 stars mamapat, 4 July 2012
P. Holland (Yorkshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ruby (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed this book very much, well researched and thoroughly enjoyable. A great page turner, I would recommend as a good holiday read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely read, 31 Dec 2013
Mrs. S. M. Dunn (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ruby (Kindle Edition)
Excellent story line - really enjoyed reading this book - will read more by this author. I can recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruby, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Ruby (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed the era in which this story was set, the two different settings, London and the seaside! Just found it hard to put down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!, 18 Aug 2012
This review is from: Ruby (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed reading this book. Great story,characters & well written. Couldnt put it down.Would definately like to read more from the same Author

ARRAY(0xb2f31cc0)

Ruby
Ruby by Marie Maxwell (Paperback - 7 Jun 2012)
6.99