5.0 out of 5 stars San Francisco here I come!
Published 5 months ago by Miss R. Saberton

2.0 out of 5 stars Twee chicklit tale about perfect, beautiful people
This is an entirely predictable chicklit tale. Everyone's beautiful, everything's amazing and perfect. There are many descriptions of food and parts of San Francisco.

Published 5 months ago by Nicola Taunt

5.0 out of 5 stars San Francisco here I come!, 17 Nov 2013
Another winner from Miranda and for me it is hard to choose between this one and her first novel for a favourite. I preordered this book and as soon as it pinged onto my kindle I was stuck in. It kept me company while stranded at Miami airport and, like Nell, I soon realised that plans don't always go smoothly! Well written, sympathetic characters that stay with the reader and, as always, delivered with Miranda's trademark compassion and humour. I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I left my heart there!, 18 Nov 2013
B. M. Dunkerley "radio freak" (Sussex England) - See all my reviews
Took me back to the lovely days I spent in San Francisco especially the clam chowder at Pier 39 and the sea lions in the bay. If you haven't been there read the book and make up your mind to GO.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely escape, 9 Dec 2013
I loved the descriptions in this book, there are lots of quaint English moments (even when in San Francisco). My boyfriend hates when I read these kinds of books as I get itchy feet and want to run off a visit all the places in the book.

I was a little disappointed with how abruptly this book ended it could have done with another 10 pages to finish it properly.
I occasionally got lost in the book as not all speech is labels at occasionally it gets a little hard to follow.

This is not a deeply intellectually challenging book but its lovely, light and refreshing read for the commute home, and I will keep an eye out for other books by Miranda.

4.0 out of 5 stars Take A Look At This!, 17 Nov 2013
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Take A Look At Me Now (Paperback)
Nell is horrified and shocked when she is made redundant out of the blue. She isn't expecting it, and leaves her office and her friends behind feeling totally shell-shocked. She makes her way back to her parents house, and there she makes a momentous decision... she decides to spend her not-so-large redundancy cheque and fly to San Francisco for a few months. She joins her cousin Lizzie and moves into her small apartment, with the now San-Fran native helping her explore her home for the next few months. While there, she meets native Max Rossi, an artist who she immediately feels an attraction to. Is it going to be just the city of San Francisco that Nell falls in love with, or is there something else that will be making Nell want to stay?

The book begins with Nell being made redundant, and given that is told to us in the blurb of the book, it isn't a spoiler! What happens for the rest of the book is all due to this moment in Nell's life though, one defining moment that forces her to make a decision that previously she never would have considered. San Francisco isn't somewhere that I have been yet, although it is definitely somewhere I want to visit before I die (wow, that's cheerful!) and once you've read the book, you can see why Nell wanted to go so badly. What I really loved about the writing in this book is how you can tell that Dickinson has really done her research with this book - everything about the place comes to life in your mind due to her brilliant descriptive writing, everything from the buildings, to the famous sites such as the Golden Gate bridge are so brilliantly written. Miranda Dickinson went on a holiday to San Francisco, and all this really does come across in her writing, it is clear she's fallen in love with the city too.

The cast of characters in the book are fantastic. Nell is very likeable, and you can feel sorry for her situation straight away. The demise of her relationship with her ex-boss and ex-boyfriend Aiden also adds to Nell's woes, and in a way, you can't blame her for fleeing. I liked how Dickinson writes in Nell's cousin Lizzie, who is a great addition to the story. I loved her, she has a great attitude and work ethic, and seems like such a genuinely warm and kind person, her and Nell really are perfect female leads for the book, there is nothing dislikeable about them at all. I loved reading about them working together, exploring and just hanging out in Lizzie's small apartment. The inclusion of the residents around San Francisco and in Lizzie's neighbourhood were perfect, there were some real characters in there and made it fun to read, you never knew who you were going to meet next.

The book is a great journey of self-discovery, and shows what amazing things can happen out of something that seems so awful at first. Nell's passion for cooking and diners really comes through, especially in the scenes in the brilliant Annie's Diner... I wish I had somewhere like that to go on a regular basis, it sounds amazing! I loved the vivid descriptions of San Francisco from Nell's eyes, she's really in awe of the place and it comes across so well in her writing. Dickinson has a way of drawing you into a story, making you care about its characters and them all getting the happy ending that they deserve. I loved the surprises along the way too, it certainly kept me interested and I didn't want to stop reading, even when my eyes were begging me for sleep! I really enjoyed Take A Look At Me Now, it's another heart-warming and life-affirming story from a fantastic author. Read it!

4.0 out of 5 stars San Francisco has never looked so appealing.... Fab book., 29 Oct 2013
Reviews
Take a look at me now - Miranda Dickinson
Source: Review copy courtesy of Avon

What a difference a day makes...

Nell Sullivan has always been known as `Miss Five-Year Plan'. But when she finds herself jobless and newly single on the same day, Nell decides it is time to stop planning and start taking chances.

Nell blows her redundancy cheque on a trip of lifetime to a place where anything is possible - San Francisco. There she meets a host of colourful characters, including the intriguing and gorgeous Max. Very soon the city begins to feel like Nell's second home.

But when it's time to return to London, will she leave the `new Nell' behind? And can the magic of San Francisco continue to sparkle thousands of miles away?
Take a look at me now follows newly unemployed Nell as she packs a bag and with her redundancy money heads of to visit her cousin Lizzie in San Francisco.

My first Miranda Dickinson novel has finally been read and I must say I enjoyed it greatly. Take a look at me now is extremely thorough in explanation and has a quirky and unique way in which it is wrote, this means that you are straight away dragged into the book by your hair! Straight away you are smiling and giggling at the unique sense of humour and comments. These luckily continue right throughout making it a refreshing and very up to date read. All characters are relatable too and you do find yourself stuck between choosing who you want Nell to be with when she's faced with a little love triangle dilemma between her ex Aiden and holiday fling Max. I adored diner owner Annie and she fast became my favourite character.

I did have one issue with this book though and that was It jumps from one scenario to another sometimes a bit to fast. I found this a bit off putting and would have liked to have seen a bit more in a few of the chapters.

Other than that, this is a really good book and Miranda Dickinson should so send it to the San Francisco travel board. Her thorough explanations of the city and tourist attractions make you want to jump on a plane and do everything Nell did. I bet San Fran has a whole lot of new fans now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Twee chicklit tale about perfect, beautiful people, 18 Nov 2013
Nicola Taunt (York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

The heroine, Nell, is the kind of woman who everyone loves instantly and takes to their hearts. Nell loves everyone back, especially if they're handsome. Nell has no self-confidence, but is uber-talented and has to be told as much by everyone she meets, the poor thing. But Nell also has an annoying tendency to jump to conclusions, decide that's the only explanation without asking any questions and never giving anyone a chance to tell her differently.

I didn't particularly enjoy this, but I didn't absolutely hate it. It just irritated me a fair bit. It's too saccharine, twee and predictable for me, but if that's your bag, you'll love it

5.0 out of 5 stars a very engaging read, 21 Dec 2013
The book seemed slow at first, but as it gathered pace it drew me in. Obvious turns didn't happen, and the reader is led down different pathways, and is not quite sur e where it is leading. Until right to toy he end. A thoroughly enjoyable read

5.0 out of 5 stars .seems like getting to know real people, 13 Dec 2013
You will love the story, and realistic characters even more if you have ever been to Frisco, if not been there, will make u want to! A feel good story.

5.0 out of 5 stars light hearted escapism, 9 Dec 2013
Nothing too intellectually taxing here, which is why I love Miranda Dickinson's books. Perfect escapism - easy to read, entertaining and with the obligatory happy ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 8 Dec 2013
This book had made me want to visit San Francisco and hopefully in the future I will with my daughter.

ARRAY(0xac33b7ec)

Take A Look At Me Now
Take A Look At Me Now by Miranda Dickinson (Paperback - 24 Oct 2013)
5.03