5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful, feelgood romantic comedy
I am not even a big fan of Jane Austen but I loved this book.

If you enjoyed Victoria's first novel, 'Molly's Millions', then you are in for a treat as this is even better. From the moment I picked it up, I found it impossible to put down.

The book focuses on two love stories that take place over a Jane Austen weekend. The author has clearly done her...
Published on 13 Dec 2010 by D. Walne

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet read
I guess that most people who want to read a book with the title "A weekend with Mr Darcy" will probably read it because they love Jane Austen's stories. Unfortunately this book has neither the wit nor the depths that make the original Austen books stand out. That being said I actually quite liked this one. I didn't expect much and was positively surprised. I've been...
Published on 6 May 2011 by Maria

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 27 Mar 2012
jamesthegreat (Great Blakenham, Suffolk) - See all my reviews
I bought this (Kindle version) book for my wife, who is a keen Jane Austen fan. She thoroughly enjoyed it and said that she'll be reading it again. What more can I say?

4.0 out of 5 stars Gave me the warm fuzzies, 28 Feb 2012
I have to say, I've never enjoyed chick lit, and the only reason I bought this was I'd just finished Death Comes to Pemberley and wanted a bit more of the Austen magic. It's not exactly Austen, but I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this. Warm, lively, witty and romantic - it's an easy and pleasurable read. Would recommend if you want something escapist and lighthearted, but probably not if you're an Austen purist! It's made me want to read Connelly's other books and will probably lead to me reading other Chick Lit at some point too. Loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Jane Austen fans, 8 Nov 2010
This review is from: A Weekend With Mr Darcy (Austen Addicts) (Paperback)
I loved Victoria Connelly's previous book 'Molly's Millions' and so I was really looking forward to reading her next offering 'A Weekend With Mr Darcy'. The story follows two main characters - Katherine and Robyn, who are Jane Austen fanatics, as they venture to Purley Hall for the annual Jane Austen conference.

I have never read a Jane Austen novel before and nor do I know very much about her or her books, however, I didn't let this put me off reading this book and I found that the little bits and pieces Victoria has added to this story - such as the Austen quotes and facts were interesting and they helped me to understand why Jane Austen and her novels are so well known and loved.

Overall, this is a great read and defintely one I would recommend to Jane Austen fans. And if like me you're not an Jane Austen fan then it's nice to discover more about her and her books while at the same time enjoying the story and journey of Katherine and Robyn in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, 14 Oct 2012
I have never read any of Jane Austin's work & despite this, i did really enjoy A Weekend With Mr Darcy. There were some lovely moments in the novel & quite a few likeable characters. I will definitely be reading the 3 other novels in the series & may well be tempted to read up on Miss Austin herself :0)

4.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoy a good romance you should definitely read this, 24 Sep 2012
Lesley for Big Book Little Book

I am an Austen fan, I enjoy her books, but with the wealth of material out there to read I don't re-read them all that often. Books about books I also enjoy and if that comes packaged in the form of a good story so much the better. This novel is a good story, does relate back to Jane, her life and her books, and does use the themes of her writing in its own weaving. On top of all that I thought this sounded like a bit of a giggle and it was that too, in particular the scene at the conference where Jace rides into the dining room on a horse!! I will leave it to you to find out more...

The blurb above covers the beginning of the story well and to tell you more I would have to include a huge spoiler! I saw it coming a few paragraphs early, but you can't talk about the story much without giving the game away so I won't do that.

Victoria has written interesting characters, I liked both Katherine and Robyn. Katherine has been a bit battered by her love life and brings that to the situations she finds herself in. As an Austen lecturer she is very knowledgeable and her thought s are often turning to Austen and Darcy in particular. She gives voice to that feeling that we might all have that it is unfortunate that there is only one Mr Darcy and no-one else quite seems to measure up. Robyn on the other hand has got stuck in a rut in her love life but is much more nave than Katherine, and although she also is in love with the thought of Darcy she is romantic enough to believe it is possible (although maybe not for her...).

There is more than one love story in this story, which I enjoyed, shifting the focus between the two women also allowed Victoria to use different parts of Austen, falling in love with the wrong people, the help of chaperones, waiting for the right time and the right man, overcoming deceit, dealing with first impressions, following your own heart, not settling for second best and so on. I could see Persuasion, Emma, Pride and Prejudice themes all coming out. These themes are often there in romantic literature but with this being an Austen book you can't help but feel this is not accidental. More than one love story also provides more good looking men to read about too!

Verdict: So in short, if you enjoy Austen (but are not snobby about it) and enjoy a good romance then you should definitely read this. A great light read.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT READ, 17 Sep 2012
Mrs. S. B. Graham (Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Weekend With Mr Darcy (Austen Addicts) (Paperback)
If you like Jane Austen then this novel is a fun read. Miss. Connelly obviously knows her Austen and has created a really lovely light hearted romantic story for when a girl needs to escape into a good read for a while! On the strength of this book, I purchased her next two, so I hope they are as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, feel-good, romantic book :), 30 Aug 2012
This review is from: A Weekend With Mr Darcy (Austen Addicts) (Paperback)
I have read this book countless times now and I never get tired of it. If your looking for a story that pulls at your heart strings then this is the one for you, I have laughed and cried along to this book and it never fails to cheer me up. You don't even have to love Jane Austen to enjoy a storyline like this one.

A very easy read that is hard to put down once you have started. If you are buying the paperback version, as I have, it is very slim and can be slipped into your bag for those boring times of the day and you can slip into the romantic story any time you like.

A really fantastic book to buy, very good quality, and if you're a romantic like I am you will love it :).

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 10 July 2012
I liked this book, thought it was well written, the author is new to me but would like to read some of her other works.

5.0 out of 5 stars very Jane Austen, 10 July 2012
A great book, can't put it down. I've nearly finished it, only started yesterday. It must end 'happily ever after'

4.0 out of 5 stars Good weekend read, 28 May 2012
This is not my usual read, but I wanted a break from crime novels, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Perfect for a bit of light reading escapism. Weaves around two characters on a Jane Austin weekend. Perfect for a weekend away or holiday read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

A Weekend With Mr Darcy (Austen Addicts)
A Weekend With Mr Darcy (Austen Addicts) by Victoria Connelly (Paperback - 16 Sep 2010)
Used & New from: 0.01