5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOMENESS!!
Published on 4 Jan 2011 by Andrea

3.0 out of 5 stars Predictable chick-lit
Published on 3 Oct 2011 by Beansmummy

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOMENESS!!, 4 Jan 2011
This review is from: A Girl Like You (Paperback)
I read this book non stop on a plane going home after a bad breakup. It was one of the smartest decisions I could have done, it cheered me up big time. The people sitting next to me had to ask me what was I reading that was so funny since I was literally laughing out loud for hours. This book not only is incredibly funny, but it also reminded me how much fun it is to be single and how it's not that scary to put yourself out there and enjoy the ride. Gemma has a way with words that makes you feel you're listening to your best friend telling you all about her week over drinks in a bar. The book is warm, smart, funny and you won't be able to put it down once you start reading it. If you haven't read her first novel "The Dating Detox" you are totally missing out!

5.0 out of 5 stars A smile on every page - BRILLIANT!, 6 Feb 2011
This review is from: A Girl Like You (Paperback)
This is the second of Gemma's books I have read and I've loved both. This book is just the perfect mix of female crazy (exposing our inner worries and illogical thoughts on dating and boys) mixed with lots of humour. I found myself not wanting to get off the packed tube every morning I was so engrossed in what Abigail (the main gal in the book) is getting up too. I now have that 'I wish I hadn't read it so quickly feeling' now I've finished it.
Girls this book is perfect to make you smile before work or as holiday read. I read it post break up and it has great cheer up factor and surviving singledom stories that are so true to life!

Buy it it's great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Chick Lit, 1 Jan 2011
Tina "Tina" (Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Girl Like You (Paperback)
I am such a fan of chick lit and Brit chick lit is THE best!

A Girl Like You was a fun, entertaining read that is exactly what a good chick lit read should be.

Of course, most chick lit books do stretch reality a little bit, but I don't care, A Girl Like You was so engrossing that I felt as though this one was way too short.

Abigail has learned the hard way that some relationships are so definitely NOT forever. She needs to learn how to date again and this, of course, is one of the central premises of the book and frankly, the funniest part. I loved reading about Abigail's fears and tribulations with the "losers" she somehow ended up with. It makes me feel better about all the jerks I dated in my lifetime :)

The story of Abigail slowly, but surely discovering her "dating feet" is charming and no story would be complete without the "right" guy - or is he really?

I loved, loved this charming story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this sooo much., 28 July 2012
This review is from: A Girl Like You (Paperback)
Loved every part of this book from beginning to end.
The ending is amazing.
Fell in love with Robert...
It was really funny, I cried with laughter.
I couldn't put it down.
Definitely one of the best reads in a long time probably my favourite book ever.
Truly NOT to be missed.
A MUST read.
Author explains front cover is a girl doing the walk of shame, the morning after the night before as
Abi new to single life tries to own the London single scene.

Can't wait for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED THIS BOOK, 13 Jun 2012
This review is from: A Girl Like You (Kindle Edition)
Started reading this book one evening and finished it by the end of a very lazy Sunday the next day, I could not put it down! The main characters are great, very likeable and so easy to relate to. There is a huge amount of truth in the advice given in this book - perfect if you've just come out of a long relationship! There were times when I laughed, times when I cringed, times when I got angry, and times when I cried - all these reactions make a perfect girly book! I really felt like I was in the book with them, and was gutted when I realised I had nearly finished. A great book to take on holiday with you, and an extremely easy and fun read. Well done Gemma Burgess, another fab book!

4.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: A Girl Like You (Kindle Edition)
Nice easy read ,total escapism. I loved the way the main character kept addressing the reader as though we were there with her. Only down side was the bad language but I suppose it added realism. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a light hearted read.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZZZIINGGG!, 6 Nov 2011
This review is from: A Girl Like You (Paperback)
I got this book because it recommended to me by amazon....I didn't think much of it but I got it anyway cos I didn't have much else to read....BEST DECISION EVER!!!this book is most definitely one of my all time favourite chick lit books ever!!It's got the right balance of comedy and romance. And you really grow to love the characters so in the end you're really rooting for Abigail. The main character Abigail really speaks to me as see myself just like her :)
I COULD NOT put this book down which i think is the sign of an excellent book...
I definitely recommend this book to ANYONE who loves a good old chick lit book--you won't be disappointed!! Gemma Burgess is a genius writer cannot wait for even more books by her!:)

5.0 out of 5 stars A girl like you!, 2 Sep 2011
L. Thomas "laurie" (Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Girl Like You (Kindle Edition)
What a barrel of laughs!
Just what you need to turn that frown upside down!
Loved every page of this book. Was immediately hooked, kind of guessed the ending. That didn't bother me though, just made me want to read, read and read some more.
All the characters were a laugh a minute.
Already purchased The Dating Detox, I just hope it's as good as A Girl Like You!

3.0 out of 5 stars Predictable chick-lit, 3 Oct 2011
Beansmummy (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Girl Like You (Kindle Edition)
While there's nothing wrong with this book, there's nothing special about it either. If you're looking for an undemanding, happy-ever-after holiday read, it's fine. But really, it is so utterly predictable in an inevitable Mills & Boon (but with sweariness) sort of way, that it just never grabbed me; I wasn't all that interested in what was going to happen next, because, frankly, it was obvious.

The characters are well-written, likeable and believable, and the story (newly single girl facing singledom with great friends, the perfect flatmate and a job she hates) will resonate with many new dump-ees. But this is (probably) not a book you will cherish for years or re-read repeatedly. It's one to pass on to your girlfriends for their poolside reading or to leave in a hotel room somewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kick Ass Chick Lit, 7 Jan 2011
This review is from: A Girl Like You (Paperback)
Well, where to start. I'm not a quick reader but I read this book in a couple of days. I enjoy a 'will she, won't she' story at the best of times. Who wouldn't like a happy ever after in January? But A Girl Like You is different. It's chick lit with attitude.

The story revolves around Abigail Wood's quest to learn how to be single again. Abigail is made from a tiny piece of every woman out there who has come out of a long term relationship with fear in her heart about the prospect of dating again. Through the help of Robert, Abigail learns, hilariously at times, how to become a bastardette. She dates with a man's take on things. But is she happy when doing this? Well, now, that would be telling...

I like Abigail Wood. I like Abigail Wood a lot. She is fiesty, she comes across as a great person to have as a friend and she's not afraid to give anything a go. Yet she is vulnerable, making her easily someone to empathise with. The rest of the characters are well rounded too. There are no cliches, apart from the ones that she sets out to disprove. And the sexual tension at times - phoar!

The blurb on the back of the book is exactly what is inside the pages. There are so many one liners in A Girl Like You, so many laugh out loud moments. So many lines that I will remember and use - I'll never go to the 'loo' again. I'll always try to look 'pretty with a punch' and well, let me just say nimble footed mountain goat...

This is another fine example of how chick lit can be made modern. I sense a change in the genre with a few books I've read recently and, personally, I like the change. You heard it here first, this is KICK ASS CHICK LIT.

A Girl Like You
A Girl Like You by Gemma Burgess (Paperback - 6 Jan 2011)