5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read
Romily Parker meets a gorgeous stranger on the last Saturday before Christmas after embarrassingly telling her best friend she is in love with him. The stranger kisses her and tells her she is beautiful then disappears. Romily is on a mission to find him. Her best friend Wren, Auntie Mags and Uncle Dudley help her find him but do they succeed?
I loved this book from...
Published on 12 Nov 2011 by Ails

1.0 out of 5 stars A very disappointing read
I downloaded a sample of this book and as the first chapter started well I went ahead and bought the book.
What a disappointment.It is a VERY rare thing for me not to finish a book but this is one of them.The charactors
were one dimentional.The chapters just went on and on about various gigs that the group were performing at which all
just seemed to be more...
Published on 3 Dec 2011 by Mrs. Anne Oppenheim

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 12 Nov 2011
This review is from: It Started With A Kiss (Paperback)
I loved this book from the gorgeous Christmas cover until the end. I think although the first few chapters are set around the Christmas period it's a book that can be read any time of the year, I found it funny; I loved the song titles after each chapter number. I couldn't put it down; I wanted to see what would happen at the end. I want to adopt Auntie Mags and Uncle Dudley as my own Auntie and Uncle. I would definitely recommend this book; it's the best book so far by this Author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miranda Strikes again!, 12 Nov 2011
realovesbooks (South east London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: It Started With A Kiss (Paperback)
It started with a kiss follows Romily's quest to find her mystery man who kissed her just before Christmas. With no leads to go on not even his name Romily sets herself a year to find him with the help of her quirky family and friends.

The first thing which stands out for me in this book is the descriptive writing that Miranda Dickinson uses to set the scene straight from the start of the book. I felt as though I was there in the Christmas market with Romily which helps the storyline feel more real.

The book starts off at such a fast pace and throws us straight into a gripping storyline. By the end of the first chapter I loved the character of Romily she is so easy to connect to and you find your heart going out to her.
This book has a real mixture of content including Christmas, romance, music and suspense which means there is something for everyone in this book. I really couldn't predict what I thought the ending was going to be in this book and this is what made it such a page turner.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Start, middle and end!, 4 Nov 2011
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: It Started With A Kiss (Paperback)
Somehow, I have managed to not yet read a Miranda Dickinson novel, despite her having released 2 gorgeous books over the past few years. Now I've started my own site, I decided it was time to finally read one of Miranda's books and eagerly decided to read her new book, It Started With A Kiss. Firstly, I have to comment on the cover - gorgeous much?! The pink and wintery scene work perfectly together, and it's definitely one of my favourite book covers of the year. I've read such positive things about Miranda's earlier books that I had a feeling I was going to like this one, but I didn't just like it... I loved it and here's why!

This book follows the character of Romily Parker on her quest to find her "phantom kisser" who unexpectedly kissed her in a local Christmas market. Romily has no idea who the man is, but after a disastrous heart-to-heart with her best friend Charlie, she decides she needs to do something positive with her life and sets about looking for PK (phantom kisser!).Romily is a lovely character, if a little bit barmy with her obsession with PK at first. However, I found her really warm and likeable, and despite the trouble she's having with best friend Charlie over her surprise confession, she's funny and a great lead character for the book. Her relationship with best friend Wren was hilarious, and it was a lovely friendshup to read about. Wren was a source of a lot of the comedy within the book, and she was just great for some funny one liners!

The other characters in the book were mainly made up of the band members - Charlie, Romily's best friend, Tom, Jack and manager D'wayne. They are all really likeable male characters, quite unusual in chick lit I must say, and they all play their part in the story. I really liked that Romily's band were really close, always working hard for the people paying them to perform and actually enjoying themselves in the process. In fact, the weddings and other events that The Pinstripes played at were just as important as the other thread of the story really, because they formed so much of the book, and it was important for Romily to go through various events with her bandmates to keep up her momentum for operation find PK.

I found Dickinson's writing was really easy to read, and a pleasure as well. She writes very descriptively about the locations for the events that take place throughout the book, and some of the weddings she wrote about sounded beautiful, they were written so well you can easily imagine them in your mind. I especially loved a few scenes set in London, Dickinson had really hit the nail on the head with her writing here and I thought it was wonderfully done. Something else I really do have to mention was the fantastic relationship Romily has with her aunt and uncle. Her Uncle Dudley in particular was a fab character, full of life and enthusiasm for Romily's project, and it was great to see such family support, especially as we don't actually meet Romily's own parents in the book apart from one brief phonecall! The relationship between the three was lovely to read, and I really looked forward to the scenes when Romily turned up on their houseboat!

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and it's certainly made me want to go and read Miranda Dickinson's previous 2 releases as well now, especially now I know what I've been missing! I'm sure you'll be attracted to this book because of its beautiful cover, but let me assure, what's inside is magical too. It's a well written, well constructed tale of love and searching for something that you believe in, no matter what anyone else says or thinks. I did think Romily was quite mad in what she did but I found it great that she was willing to give it a whole year to find PK, if she would ever find him at all of course. I liked the inclusion of Romily's blog posts, it is certainly a modern novel that reflects current times in that respect. If you love romantic novels with a bit of a twist, then It Started With A Kiss is certainly the book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get started with this!, 3 Nov 2011
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
It Started With A Kiss was a brilliant read. I mean, seriously. Amazing. It's like an amazing chick-flick wrapped up in a book, if that even makes sense. It's the type of book you imagine Richard Curtis making into a film (it would be an awesome film and I'm not just being hyperbolic because I love Miranda). Who doesn't dream of meeting the man of their dreams one day? Who doesn't like the idea of being so sure of a man - despite just seeing him for all of a couple of minutes - that you'd spend the next year of your life determined to find him? It's so magical and romantic and heart-warming and if anyone else can make a plot like that work (because it is a bit more `out there' than your usual Chick Lit novels) then Miranda Dickinson can because she's just a natural storyteller. Romily's quest is one you can get behind; her unwavering belief that this year will be the year her life changes is unshakeable and easy to get on board with.

The novel isn't just about Romily's search for the mystery man who kissed her at a Christmas stall, it also focuses a lot on Romily's hobbie as a singer in a wedding band. Miranda Dickinson is part of a band herself - a wedding band, if I'm not mistaken - so she's rather aptly placed to write about a wedding singer/band and I thoroughly enjoyed that part of the novel. I loved hearing about the different weddings Romily and her band attended. From straight-forward weddings to weddings featuring bunny ears to weddings with medieval costumes... There are plenty of different weddings featured throughout the book and they're all very different and all very enjoyable. It's such a fun aspect to the book and Miranda has put her own experiences to brilliant use.

The characters in It Started With A Kiss are excellent. From Romily herself, to her bandmates, to her quirky Aunt and Uncle... it's such a well-rounded, heart-warming cast of people. Romily was a wonderful lead character and I loved her immediately. Her vulnerability on those first few pages as she spills her soul to her best friend Charlie about loving him to kissing a random man a few pages later... It's an exhilarating start to the book and Romily quickly and easily becomes a favourite character. Her band mates are all wonderful, too: Jack and Sophie, Tom, Charlie, and Wren. But my absolute two favourite characters were Auntie Mags and Uncle Dudley. Lots of Chick Lit novels have wonderful and supportive family members, but Auntie Mags and Uncle Dudley are the best. I mean... They're so supportive, always being there for Romily no matter what, helping her on her quest to find the man who kissed her. I loved that Auntie Mags baked cakes and knew exactly which cakes suited the mood.

As It Started With A Kiss progressed, I truly believed I had the ending sorted, figured out. And just at that moment where I was doing a triumphant "I knew it" dance, Miranda pulled off quite a surprising twist. It was a totally tricky surprise, it was so unexpected but in the best possible way. I like when authors manage to pull a surprise on me and Miranda Dickinson did it perfectly. I absolutely loved the ending of the book. I loved every single page of the book. I adored Miranda's previous two novels, but this is her best yet. The story is amazing, the characters are so warm and so witty and loveable and Miranda's writing just flows so naturally. I'm always wary of synopses that proclaim the book to be the "perfect book to curl up with" but It Started With A Kiss is the perfect book to curl up with. Miranda Dickinson just gets better with every book and I can't wait for book number four. She's rocketed up my favourite authors list and I don't see her moving from there any time soon. It Started With A Kiss was a triumph in every sense of the word.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 3 Nov 2011
Loved this latest book from Miranda.Adored the characters and the whole feel of this story.Great work,lovely book to snuggle down with on the sofa with a glass of wine and some choccies on a cold winters evening.
Lovely!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Miranda Dickinson!, 23 Nov 2011
I was so excited to get this book, as I have loved Miranda's previous books, and she is one of my favourite authors :)
It's such a lovely book, really took me in, and I adored the characters. I absolutely loved Uncle Dudley and Auntie Mags, they are so lovely! Really felt like I was in the room with them whenever they were in a scene :)
I loved how Miranda kept you guessing, even when I thought what the ending would be, Miranda manages to produce a twist that I didn't see coming!

Definitely get this book, you won't be disappointed! And if you haven't read her other books, then get those too!

Fab book to curl up under a blanket with :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 Nov 2011
What a lovely story.

I wasnt sure upon buying this book if it would be predictable like most of the books in this genre
I decided to purchase it and give it ago and i read it within a day, such alovely story.

It feels as though you can really relate to the characters within the plot and it is just a really good book

would definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 11 Nov 2011
The title had me humming that 'Hot Chocolate' song as I turned the first page and it proved to be very apt as the whole confection slipped down like a mug of melted delight. Ms Dickinson is such an infectious writer that you really believe she's your best friend telling you an incredible story about someone you know. At various times touching, moving, surprising and hilarious it is a delightful book and I would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars FOLLOW YOUR HEART.., 21 Nov 2011
This review is from: It Started With A Kiss (Paperback)
well other reviewers have made such a good job of giving insight in to this book so all i will say is.. it was a great read sweet and a little festive and if you are thinking of reading it then go ahead it will certainly entertain you and you will not be disappointed..

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for all us romantics out there, 16 Nov 2011
S. A. Broadhurst "SBroadhurst" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: It Started With A Kiss (Paperback)
I have loved Miranda's previous two books and have been looking forward to this book for sometime, and Miranda has not disappointed! It is a great read and has a Christmassy theme although the book covers the following year too.

Miranda Dickinson is a local(ish) author to myself and this book is set in Birmingham, again close to me. As I began to read the book I was able to picture the scene and this really made the opening scene at Birmingham's Christmas fayre even more special. I also really enjoyed the 'Birminghamisms' which littered Uncle Dudley's speech throughout the book.

The book begins with the main character, Romily, telling her best friend, Charlie, that she is in love with him, and want them to be together, however Charlie does not take the confession well and Romily walks out of the coffee shop and around Birmingham. Charlie manages to find her and shouts after her, but Romily runs away - and into a soft toy stall within the Christmas Market. Of course the market is very busy but nobody offers to help Romily to pick up the toys and just stand around watching or recording on their mobiles. However, help does arrive, a gorgeous man, who helps pick up the toys, before being called away by a friend before they can swap names and/or numbers. Following this encounter, Romily decides that she wants to find this handsome stranger, and gives herself until Christmas Eve the following year to find him. Her family and friends think she is mad but Romily is determined. Her only real supporters are Uncle Dudley and Aunt Mags.

Romily is a singer in a band and alot of the book is about the bands gigs, often wedding entertainment and some of the weddings sound like the perfect experience, whereas others are peoples worst nightmares. I enjoyed reading about all the weddings and also the friendships between the band members. Charlie is also in the band and I realised that through the book, Charlie's feelings towards Romily are changing and this is another big storyline within the book. I will not spoil the ending for readers of my blog but it does reach a who will Romily choose - Charlie or her handsome stranger.

The band are also major characters within the book and all appear to be a great set of friends. I was unsure about the manager D'Wayne but towards the end of the book, he won me over. However, my favorite characters were Uncle Dudley and Aunty Mags. They seemed like Romily's second mother and father and cared for her like a daughter - I enjoyed the history of their relationship and thought it bought another side to the story. As I have also said, I loved Uncle Dudley's Birminghamism's - with 'bab' and localisms littering the text. It all added to the character of him in my imagination.

Miranda also adds references to blogging in the book - a popular pastime for many in this virtual world we live in and it is through her blog that she tries to find her gorgeous stranger. There are copies of her posts intermingled within the story and I enjoyed this modern style and its inclusion within the text.

The front cover is beautiful and is one which will jump off the shelf in the shops. However, I was disappointed to see the cover was featuring London, the book does finish with a trip to London but it would have been great to include a scene of Birmingham Christmas Market where it all began.

Miranda's writing style is a really easy read. It is one of those books that you can loose yourself in for an evening. I really enjoyed, as I have previously said, the scenes around the Birmingham Christmas Market and I also enjoyed the winter scenes in London, they were beautifully written and very descriptive.

I would recommend this to anyone who loves chick lit or a good romance, with a reference to Christmas but not the entire book. It is a great read and one you could loose yourself in on a cold winter's afternoon.

It Started With A Kiss
It Started With A Kiss by Miranda Dickinson (Paperback - 10 Nov 2011)
5.05