5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome To My World
Published on 3 Dec. 2010 by Leah Graham

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special- good for a cheap read though
Published on 14 Oct. 2011 by A.B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome To My World, 3 Dec. 2010
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Welcome to My World (Paperback)
I was sucked into Welcome To My World immediately as the full extent of Harri's problems isn't immediately told to us. All we know from the first paragraph is that Harri is not the type of person to lock herself in a toilet, yet that is where she finds herself. We then travel back to the fateful day that sets the night in question in motion and from then on, at the beginning of each chapter we get a snippet about Harri's present situation before diving back into how it all came that Harri found herself locked in a toilet stall. I thought it was such a clever way of writing the novel as it really built up the suspense over why exactly Harri had seen fit to lock herself in a toilet. I'm not the most patient person in the world, and used to have a habit of skipping to the back of the novel to learn how it all ends, and you have no idea how desperate I was to do the same with Welcome To My World. However, I kept my patience in check and was handsomely rewarded come the end of the novel.

But what Miranda really excells at, is that she manages to make her characters so real and she connects us to them so well. I fell in love with Harri from the first line, and she's such a wonderful character that I truly hoped the story would end well for her. The fact that she's a travel agent who has never actually travelled made me feel so sad. I wasn't entirely convinced by Rob, Harri's boyfriend, because he worked away a lot we barely get to see him, and I admit he did seem nice at first but I always had a few doubts about him. The main man for me, though, was the lovely lovely Alex. I loved how he fed Harri's travelling addiction, and I loved how easy-going their relationship was. For me, that was my favourite part of the novel. Alex's mum Viv is a prominent character and really sparkled and Harri's best friend Stella and Aunt Rosemary (who you may recognise from Fairytale of New York as she's Rosie's mum!) add to the cast nicely.

I must admit, I did worry that Welcome To My World wouldn't live up to my expectations, and wouldn't match the fantasticness that was Fairytale of New York but I am very happy to announce that I was wrong. Welcome To My World was just as good as Fairytale of New York. It's true, there's not a lot going action-wise, but for me, I read Miranda's books for the story, for the unravelling of the plot, not for cliched action scenes that appear in a lot of Chick Lit novels. Miranda has a very distinct writing style, and a distinct way of telling a story and for me it's a huge hit. You have no idea how sad I am to have finished the novel as it means a wait of another 12 months before Miranda's next one It Started With A Kiss, but believe me, it will definitely be worth the wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read, 15 Jan. 2011
Kathryn Eastman "Nut Press" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Welcome to My World (Paperback)
I was soooo looking forward to reading this, after having thoroughly enjoyed Miranda's debut novel, Fairytale of New York.

This is an even better read than Fairytale and I pretty much gobbled it up in one sitting. Welcome to my World tells the story of Harri, a travel agent who hasn't actually been on holiday anywhere outside the UK yet, which is in stark contrast to her best mate, Alex, who has recently returned home to the Black Country village of Stone Yardley, after extensive travelling.

I loved the structure of this book. When the book opens, something has happened to make Harri take refuge in a cubicle of the ladies' toilets at Stone Yardley Village Hall. Each chapter returns to Harri in her cubicle and then goes onto reveal more backstory until it leads up to the present and takes you from there on to the conclusion. It's an unusual device but one that really works well and each time it lets you digest what's happened to date before the story moves on.

Miranda excels at writing characters, and not just when it comes to the main ones. You get a whole village of them here. She is also very clever at bringing a place to life within her books and making it a character in its own right, something she did exceptionally well with New York in Fairytale of New York. While reading the book, the villagers and vilage of Stone Yardley felt so real that it was almost as if I knew them and was living among them.

As with Fairytale, I felt that the ending was a little rushed, although that could have been partly due to me frantically turning the pages to find out how it was all going to end for Harri!

I cried, laughed, shouted and giggled my way through this and now can't wait to read Miranda's next book, It Started with a Kiss, which is out in November 2011.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic second book, 5 Feb. 2011
Susan Sant (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Welcome to My World (Paperback)
Love it. Can't wait for her third. Where does she get her ideas from? What an imagination. Don't normally read books like this but as she's locally born I dug in and read her first book and got hooked. This book is as good as first. Well done Miranda.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special- good for a cheap read though, 14 Oct. 2011
I'll be honest, I didn't love this author's first book and I only bought this because it was ridiculously cheap at the time. I am a massive fan of this genre, so I knew what to expect when I started this, and I like to think I'm not overly picky when it comes to this genre- but I did find this a bit dull and overly predicable. I can't really put my finger on what it was I disliked about this book- on paper it sounds pretty great- but it was just nothing special and instantly forgettable. It's a shame really- I would have liked to have seen that this author had developed a bit from her debut. Unfortunately she hasn't- if you've read her first book and like me you thought it was a bit so so then don't bother with this one as you end up with the same feeling after this one too. On the other hand, if you're a fan of this genre and have never tried anything by this author before then you may as well give it a go if it's still selling at the same price as a bar of chocolate. I've certainly read a lot worse in the cheap price bracket on my kindle than this. If the price has gone back up to something resembling a bookshop RRP though then I definitely wouldn't bother- there's plenty of other great stuff in this genre available on kindle to choose from. I feel like this author could write something great in the chick lit genre, but just hasn't quite managed it yet, so I'll probably still keep my eye out for her future work in the hope she improves with practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome To My World, 13 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Welcome to My World (Paperback)
Harri is locked in a toilet cubicle in the village hall, hiding herself away from everyone (as she is feeling a bit sorry for herself).

Each chapter starts with Harri in the toilet cubicle. You then go on to Harri's life and how she has got where she is today - sitting in the toilet cubicle.

Harri works in a travel agents and has a lovely boyfriend Rob who she totally adores and is in love with. You have her best friend Alex who can not get a girlfriend, so his mum Viv puts an advert in a magazine and Harri has to try and find the right girl for him. You also have her anut and a few other aswell.

The book does centre a lot around Harri and Alex and it keeps you hooked as you want to know if any girl is every going to be right for him. Also Harri's love life plays a big part in it and in some ways you just know what is coming.

Really good book to cosy up with on a cold night - really enjoyed it and would highly recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars i didn't even finish it the first time!, 26 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Welcome to My World (Paperback)
i liked how each chapter started with harriet in the cubicle, in the present tense.. about the only thing that kept me reading the first time, second time it was sheer determination!

i just think it got too narrative (the irony of it!) when it went back to explain how it all went wrong.

i didn't particularly warm to harri much.. she seemed like a bit of a bridget jones to me in places.. and her boyfriend Rob should have been chucked very near to the start of the story!

and it seemed a little rushed to get to the happy-ending in the last chapter.

i'm sorry but it was probably my worst-ever read.. :|

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed to finish, 6 Jan. 2012
I am only 30 percent through this book and I just can't face another page, it's been a real struggle to even get this far. I keep thinking that something will surely happen to grip my attention but alas No! Books very rarely beat me but I have found myself scanning the text and reading a couple of words on each page and, truthfully, I'm not missing anything by doing this. Very disappointing because the book has great potential with likeable characters but the author just fails to deliver.

3.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to my world, 16 April 2011
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Welcome to My World (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Harri works in a travel agent though she has always dreamed about travelling the world herself. Somehow she never seems to quite realise her dream. Her boyfriend Rob is tied up with his work and when she is asked by the mother of her best friend, Alex, to help him find a girlfriend she agrees almost because she has nothing better to do. Alex has just returned from globetrotting himself and Harri never tires of hearing about his adventures.

While I did like Harri I really found I could not get involved with her life. I almost wanted to get hold of her and shake her and tell her to get her life sorted out. Yes there are some interesting and quirky characters but the novel just seemed to drag and I felt could have been about seventy five pages shorter.

I think my problem with the book was that I could not believe in the way Alex's new girlfriend was to be found - it just seemed too contrived to me and that spoilt the whole book. It was clear from the start what should happen and consequently the whole thing seemed a little boring. Maybe I was in the wrong mood when I read it as I normally enjoy this type of book. The writing was good and the characters were interesting but they seemed to be in search of a plot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and lively!, 19 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Welcome to My World (Paperback)
Welcome to the world of the Miranda Dickinson books. Miranda is a great author and I finally found the time to read another one of her books, so here we go.

Harriet Langton is a dedicated travel agent, who has never ever left the UK. Yes, you heard right a travel agent, who has not at least seen some of the places she recommends to her clients. Her boyfriend Rob is always busy with work, so Harri finds the time to help her best friend Alex to find his true love. She signs him up for a magazine spread, where women can answer to meet the guy.
Harri, of course, is going through these carefully to find the right woman for Alex. But it’s not as easy as it seems, none of them last longer than one date.

Harri is such a lovely character, with so much passion for her job and with a dream to travel to Venice with her true love. Rob however, only takes her camping all the time and there was a thing I didn’t like about him. I couldn’t really figure out what at first, but I had my suspicions soon. I felt really bad for Harri, she deserves a man who loves her with all his heart.

Then, let’s come back to Alex. He’s super gorgeous and he has travelled the world. Now he owns his own coffee shop and I really admired their friendship. They were there for each other all the time… Until, she overheard him saying something to his friend Jack, about her. She wants to take revenge and chooses a real Barbie for him. Unfortunately, the effect is different and Alex seems to be in love…
Harri doesn’t like her at all, but why does it bother her that much? Well, you have to read this book to find out.

Harri also had some great friends to help her go through everything: Stella, Viv (Alex’s mum) and her aunt. I loved them all, especially Viv always looking out for her son.

Let me just tell you that it was always full of drama and at one point she finally took some time off and left the country. I loved the scenes in the end, I couldn’t bare not knowing what was going to happen… Miranda’s writing shows a real and vivid storyline, with some wonderful characters and cute little scenes.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Less Cheeky Bridget Jones, 14 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Welcome to My World (Paperback)
Miranda Dickinson's "Welcome to My World" is a less cheeky Bridget Jones, a dollop of "Mrs. Dalloway" with an Amy Adams movie thrown in. The characters in Dickinson's world are richly drawn characters each individual and quirky. The writing is equally florid, and strong. Dickinson knows the world she's writing about well and brings that world to the reader.

Harriet Langton, Harri to her friends, works in a travel agency Sun Lovers International Travel (that goes by the acronym of SLIT with humorous connotations for its employees) in the small English town of Stone Yardley. Harri dreams of romantic adventures abroad while even her travel agency customers are only interested in weekend trips in the country. Her boyfriend Rob is faithful, but the demands of his job frequently take him away from Harri, and their weekend camping trips don't fulfill her stymied wanderlust. For those dreams of foreign adventure she looks to childhood friend Alex Brannan who has just returned from years abroad, and living by his wits, to open a coffee shop in town. Harri and Alex are just friends, and Alex's luck at love is as stymied as Harri's travels abroad. Harri sends Alex's name and picture to a magazine that runs a feature called "Free to a Good Home" that finds matches for local bachelors. Alex turns out to be the hunk that the magazine and women are looking for.

I'm not a reader that needs a lot of car chases, or flashy contrived plots, or jumping off of roofs and into beds and other staples that have made their way from the movie screen to literature, but there's no dramatic tension between the plots or the characters' relationships. This may be because between the main plots of the story Dickinson fills in with scenes from small town life, from the octogenarian neighbors to nostalgic forays into Harri's past. There seems to be no sense of urgency to any of the storylines. In some cases the author is letting the story unfold before the reader but in "Welcome to my World," Harri's dreams of Venice seem far off and not a very compelling factor to her character or the reader. One of the subjects of Harri's fantasies is Dan Beagle, a rugged adventure seeking travel writer who is the author of books and DVD's Harri collects. While she may have those daydreams she doesn't seem to be pining for these things. She seems very satisfied within her life and none of the frustrations of her life drive her towards anything. Harri is the most reactive character in the book.

"Welcome to my World" is a romance for the holidays. The climactic action takes place over Christmas and the cover art is definitely suggestive of the holiday season. If you're a hopeless romantic and don't have any plans for the holidays "Welcome to my World" may be the way to vicariously live those dreams.

Welcome to My World
Welcome to My World by Miranda Dickinson (Paperback - 11 Nov. 2010)