Shop now Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

Chocolate Wishes
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£5.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 5 March 2010
Trisha Ashley has always been able to write wonderfully charming, funny romantic stories which have a bit of bite, and this new novel is as fabulous as the best plain chocolate that's been spiced up with a hint of chilli.

I loved the heroine Chloe, who is a successful businesswoman with a delightfully crazy family, and the hero strides into the story like a rock god coming on stage to a rumble of thunder - which is appropriate because Raffy is indeed a former rock god turned vicar. I wish we had vicars like Raffy where I live.

This is a great story about love lost and found again, enlivened with a sparkling cast of wonderful supporting characters. I love Grumps and Zillah - I could see them in my mind's eye as I read about them. It was also good to go back to the village of Sticklepond, which is one of those fictional settings that become real for the reader as the author trickles more information about it into each subsequent novel.
on 5 March 2010
If you need a really good book to curl up with in front of the fire on a cold Sunday afternoon, this is exactly what you want - a lovely, feel-good, romantic story suffused with humour and with the sort of characters that stay in your mind long after you've put it down. A likeable heroine who has made huge sacrifices in order to take care of her younger brother (a most appealing teenage Goth!), a grandfather who is a warlock complete with coven and a gypsy aunt are only some of them, not to mention a most unusual (and gorgeous!) hero. The village in which they live is peopled with loveable eccentrics and you are swiftly drawn into their affairs. I highly recommend this, but be warned - you will fall in love with the sexiest vicar ever and if you don't have a box of chocolates to hand, you'll be very sorry!
on 9 March 2010
As a bloke I was wondering what I was going to encounter when I first started to read this particular book going by its title, but I soon found out that I need not have worried!
Trisha Ashley is a wonderful writer. This particular story revolves around Chloe Lyon who lives with her younger half brother Jake and her grandfather 'Grumps', who heads a covern which practices pagan rites! Her life up until now has not been easy and also appears to have been fairly complicated in places, to say the least.
Chloe makes chocolate wishes in her spare time (hollow chocolate shapes containing 'wishes', which are small pieces of paper with encouraging thoughts,suggestions or predictions printed on them). All is looking well for Chloe following a house move to the picture perfect Lancashire village of Sticklepond, until a new vicar arrives in the village!
This story is not just for the ladies, but is a very readable book for the male species as well! Trisha's writing style is easy to read, flows well and is very humourous in places.
As a bloke I actually really enjoyed reading this particular story about Chloe, her family,friends and the unfolding events that impacted on the regular routine that Chloe once seemed to have!
This is a story well worth reading.
on 24 August 2011
Having never read Trisha's books before and being promised that she always delivers a good tale, have to say that this sadly didn't capture me. I struggled to identify with the characters...'Grumps' who seemed to be a cross between Victor Meldrew and Dumbledore...Zillah, a Romany-type aunt...and the heroine Chloe who is also a substitute mother to a Goth. I gave up on the book before Raffy the rock-star/vicar re-entered Chloe's life. Sorry! However, I shall certainly try another of Trisha's books because she has a strong following and I suspect this novel might just be the one that can't be good every time.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is the story of Chloe who makes wishes. Chocolate Wishes. These delicious treats contain a wish or thought for each customer a prediction of what might happen in the future. Similar to fortune cookies but with more chocolate!

However, Chloe's life is not so easy to predict. She was left to bring up her step brother Jake, when her mother went off on a cruise and never came back, which resulted in Chloe giving up university and the man she had fallen in love with Raffy Sinclair. He never responded to her letter. Years later it turns out she never responded to his message either and they had both been blaming themselves for no real reason.

Now time has passed and lives have changed Raffy is back in Chloe's life under a rather different and surprising guise which unites the little village that Chloe lives in.

Chloe's responsibilities are not for her growing business and growing stepbrother but also her rather eccentric family that she is attached to both through love and location. Her `Grumps' as a character makes for delightful reading as does her aunt Zillah. Both have a unique way of predicting and perhaps determining the future with some rather strange methods.

This book has plenty to get absorbed in; the love life of Chloe mainly of the past which comes back to haunt her in the present. Her friends, Poppy and Felix who it is obvious should be together but have yet to realise that themselves. Chloe needs to help them. There is the eccentricities of Chloe's family and the move to a new house to open a museum for all things `warlock' as well as expand her own chocolate business and carry on as typist to her grandfather who writes novels. There is also village life to regale at, the parish council meetings, the threat of an outsider coming in and developing local land into housing estates as well as the theories about what actually will be going on in a museum to do with warlocks' et al. It might seem very random but fits together for me very nicely.

Chocolate is melted throughout this book. We get descriptions of the smell, the texture, how the wishes are made, how the truffles Chloe makes just for herself taste, the quality of chocolate compared to the people she knows, in fact all things cocoa related.

A book to curl up with when you want some cheering up, a little cocoon to escape into and devour without perhaps putting any weight on! Though be warned it makes you want to eat chocolate......
on 24 August 2010
I really enjoyed this story, almost from the beginning, felt an afinity with the heroine...who whatever life had thrown at her, she continually bounced back, (despite a rather diverse background) due to her great friends and rather unusual family members she'd created a great business and lifestyle for herself and young brother... My only criticism being, due to the excellent narrative / hugely descriptive areas of the book relating to the making of chocolate 'wishes' etc, I found myself craving chocolate...! Even having finished the book, I'll never forget my cravings whilst enjoying the story itself. I'd definitely recommend this as an excellent winter read, (despite my having read this during Summer I feel the story would prove even more conforting as a winter read...!)
on 24 May 2010
I read the reviews about this book and they were pretty mixed. This book is really good, I read it in 2 days (but I was recovering from an operation!).

This is about a girl called Chloe who lives with her brother and grandad. She has her own business making and selling cholocate. She has never been quite lucky with her love life and she has to deal with 2 ex-boyfriends turning up, while dealing with her business as they have just moved to a new village. She also has her friends Poppy and Felix nearby her now and she would love for them to become an item and she tries her hardest to make it happen.

This book deals alot with chocolate and goes in to some detail about how Chloe is making it and you get the feeling you are actually there.

You get a bit of laugh.
on 6 March 2010
I love Trisha Ashley's books, especially the early ones like 'Every Woman for Herself' and 'The Urge to Jump' and her recent 'Wedding Tiers' - but this one didn't quite do it for me. Like biting into a chocolate truffle and finding it hollow.

Maybe it was because it seemed to promise much more than it delivered. It started quite strongly, but most of the supporting storylines just fizzled out weakly well before the end.

I did like the village setting, the characters and the chocolate theme (who wouldn't!) but the 'magic' aspect reminded me a little of Christine Jones's books.

Also, although the heroine was supposed to be about 35, her taste in music and her attitudes seemed more appropriate to an older generation, which affected the tone of the book for me.

So, alhough it passed a couple of evenings quite cosily, with the help of a large box of chocolates (because I'm quite suggestible!) I didn't stay up late to finish it this time. I will probably wait for the library copy rather than pre-ordering the next one from Amazon as I have always done in the past.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 March 2010
This is a read for when you need something that warms you up inside like the very best hot chocolate prepared from Criollo grated into milk. Chloe is the grand daughter of a warlock, possibly Eton and Oxford, definitely well off enough to support his unusual family. He was very much my favourite character, and I longed to read a good juicy extract of Satan's Child, which Chloe types up for him. I also liked the local witches, all very cosy, even if somewhat unironed when 'sky clad'. The joy comes from the 'take it for granted if you were brought up with it' tone here as Chloe is so sensible and 'normal'. I was also enamoured of the extremely sexy vicar. For those who love chocolate there is plenty of deliciousness here as well, even recipes. There were also passages about the maternal love we can feel for the young, even when they aren't our own, which I found very appealing. I am now investigating this author's back list with the certain hope of entertainment.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Chloé and her family are moving to Sticklepond . It's a new start for her say the cards she usually read with Zillah .
Her shop of chocolate wishes works well and she is happy with that .
Her grand father Grumps plans to open a pagan museum in the village but most of the people are religious so they are against the family in the village ..
But maybe there will be a chance as a new vicar will be coming soon and Grumps hopes he will be more open to his ideas which are not against religious point of view .
Chloe's friends are members of the church's committee that's why she knows all about that ..
One day she met one of her ex boyfriend David .Maybe it's the change that the cards have talked about she thought . She wants them to be friend but not more but he thinks differently . Of course they were on the way to get married when he dropped her .
What is her surprise when she learns that the new vicar is no one else than Raffy Sainclair her first love .The one she never forgive to have let her down to go on tour with his famous band .
Will Cloe and her family be accepted in the village?
Will Cloe succeed in forgiving and giving a new start to her 2 exes ?
Will be a more serious threat than Grumps in Sticklepond ?
As usual I love Trisha Ashley books and this one is not an exception. We find the lovely theme of cooking much more on chocolate this time. The idea of including pagan ideas was nice . I loved the reading cards too it is quite a nice theme in this book .
The love story is well introduced as usual and comes slowly in the book .
As usual we learn about the village gossiping ; which is funny .
I really enjoy Chloé and Raffy story .They are both sweet to me and I loved seing them being friends again .
Grumps was a bit mysterious to me as we don't hear much about him except that he wants to open his museum and that he writes books
Nice book as usual ;)