5.0 out of 5 stars A very lucky find!
I bought this Kindle version by chance after downloading the Kindle app on my iPad. To be honest the reason I got it was that it was very cheap and I wanted to test out to see if the app worked!

Published on 10 Aug 2011 by Clara Von Kluk Kluk

3.0 out of 5 stars The Alchemist 's Secret
Published on 11 April 2008 by Frances Orme

5.0 out of 5 stars A very lucky find!, 10 Aug 2011
Clara Von Kluk Kluk (South Cumbria, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

As there was nothing on TV I decided to read a few pages - AND WAS GRIPPED! I could not put the book down and even though it got into the early hours and I had work the next day, I kept trying to take in more and more pages, each one keeping me on the edge of my seat.

The background to the story is captivating and much is baseed on hisorical fact but with a good dose of mystery and intrigue. The main character (Ben Hope, an ex SAS Major) is very likeable and the array of characters he comes into contact with range from interesting to ruthlessly sadistic! I also loved the way his investigation takes him through different countries and settings.

It annoys me when people dismiss this book as a mock up of the De Vinci Code. Why other authors cannot take a similar line and make it their own is beyond me. I for one could not get stuck into the De Vinci Code, however, The Alchemists Secret seduces you from the word go. i thoroughly enjoyed it and will be reading the rest of the Ben Hope series in the next few weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable! ! Great stuff!, 12 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Alchemist's Secret (Ben Hope 1) (Paperback)
I've just finished reading this - if you enjoy the DVC type yarns, you'll really enjoy this!! Better - in my opinion - than, say, "The Templar Legacy" by Steve Berry (and I thought that was good!!)
There's plenty of fast-flowing action, believable characters, mystery, deciphering of old manuscripts, codes, artefacts, murder, plots, torture, historical interest, slowly kindling romance, etc.,etc..
I've never read a book as quickly as this, as I found it so intriguing, exciting, and enjoyable that I didn't want to put it down!
I would highly recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking and Enjoyable, 24 Nov 2011
Plot and characters count for me in the appreciation of a good book, as does a gripping storyline. I found all of these things in The Alchemist's Secret. I found the middle portions of the book in particular very well done, which is a rarity, since it's precisely here that most prose lines stop to catch their breath before mustering their energies for a run toward the finish. I would have liked to see a bit more verve at the end of the book, which seemed just a touch flat, though I'm possibly being somewhat harsh here. This is a book, though, that I'm putting on my "read again" list, which I assure you is a short one. Consider this book a solid recommendation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Price, 30 Nov 2011
If you wish to critique a book regarding the detailed stuff and compare it with others, and the author with other authors, please do so after at least reading it fully with an open mind - at least once!

Would be well worth buying at a hardback price. As for 49 pence? Well I would be perfectly happy to pay twenty times that for the next book from this author!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought by chance, fantastic read, cldn't put it down !!, 10 Sep 2011
I don't read this kind of book normally, not a girlie thing........... I thought !!! Got it because it sounded half interesting and cost 49p ! Best 49p I've ever spent. Couldn't put the book down, devoured every word and learned quite a lot. I downloaded the next 5 of the series within 5 mins of buying this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Alchemist 's Secret, 11 April 2008
This review is from: The Alchemist's Secret (Ben Hope 1) (Paperback)
This is another story with a seek the treasure in Rennes-le-Chateau, but is well written and entertaining, but not as gripping as Dan Brown or Kate Mosse novel. In this book the hero Ben accepts a contract to find the Fulcanelli manuscript, which is believed to contain the formula for the elixor of life. His hunt attracts the unwelcome attention of Gladius Domini, a catholic organisation, whose leader seeks the same gaol. Ben and his accomplice Dr Roberta Ryder and Gladius Domini leave a bloody trail across France, with the story reaching it's climax at an ancient Cathar temple close to Rennes-le-chateau. There are notes at the back of book informing the reader about the facts behind the story. A good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to be thrilled - Ben Hope is one hell of a hero!!, 30 April 2007
Once you have begun reading The Fulcanelli Manuscript, it is impossible to do anything else other than finish it! It is a 'read in a day' kind of book, causing you to feel all extremes of resentment towards other activities which prevent you from reading it!

It is an intelligent thriller, fast paced, action packed and full to the brim with historical secrets and scientific fascinations. Scott Mariani captivates his reader from the outset, refusing to let go or give anything away until the very end! The description of the locations and the character's relationship with their surroundings makes this novel appear cinematic. You live the danger and intensity, becoming as hooked on the book as Ben was on saving Ruth!

I strongly recommend The Fulcanelli Manuscript. It is truly addictive and I wait with great anticipation for Ben Hope to be brought to life again by this wonderful author!

4.0 out of 5 stars Likeable lead character and strong storyline, 22 Sep 2011
Stephanie (Thatcham Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This was my first Ben Hope read, but many other authors have set their stories around the same or a similar theme - The Cathars and their treasure. I found Ben to be an endearing hero and Roberta a likeable heroine - so glad she wasn't useless! I shall read more of Ben. I like Scott Mariani's style too - very easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to put down, 16 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Alchemist's Secret (Ben Hope 1) (Paperback)
Have just read this having stumbled across a Mariani book being sold in one of the 2 a book shops. Really enjoyed that (Heretic's Treasue) and have since read the rest. This is the best of the bunch. Fast paced but without spoiling the intrigue and lots of interesting characters. Actually had to stay up until 1.30pm to finish it - haven't done that for a while. Would really recommend this guy to anyone who likes escapist thrillers/quest type books - have tried quite a few of the genre and Mariani is up with the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great stuff !!, 12 Mar 2008
This book re-appears in paperback version, but with the title "The Alchemist's Secret".
This is highly recommended!! (see my review of the above paperback version)

The Alchemist's Secret (Ben Hope 1)
The Alchemist's Secret (Ben Hope 1) by Scott Mariani (Paperback - 3 Mar 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01