VINE VOICEon 6 September 2011
Not sure why I downloaded this book as I would not normally be attracted to it - ironically, if I had seen the cover as I now have, instead of downloading through Kindle, I probably would have rejected the book as one of those slushy "women's" books that I usually avoid. However I have really enjoyed it, the storyline is quite original and the characters are great examples of strong women in adversity. As a fan of cooking and good food I found the struggle to secure ingredients for a proper feast despite rationing and shortages was fascinating and loved the warm female camaraderie that grew up around the Olive Oil Club. If I had been the author I might have titled the book the Olive Oil Club and I think somehow that would have sold many more copies. I found myself cheering Lily on to make the right choice in her life and was only surprised she didn't do so sooner. Almost a feminist text! Do give it a try.
on 5 July 2010
Wonderful story.
This is an easy- to -read book for those lovely lazy days when you put your feet up and can spoil yourself with a good tale .
Enjoyed the book from beginning to end.Hope you do too.
on 2 May 2008
What a brilliant story line! Wish I had thought of it....With a great cast of totally believable and all-too-human characters, this is a wonderful book that I was sad to finish - I wanted more of it!
on 18 September 2011
THIS IS A REALLY GOOD READ, NOT MY USUAL SORT OF BOOKE,BUT HAVE REALLY ENJOYED IT. wELL WRITTEN, THE STORY IS SO BELIEVABLE AND UNDERSTANDERBLE. SOME FUNNY BITS. JUST HOW YOU WOULD IMAGINE THESE GIRLS TO FEEL
on 3 December 2011
A fantastic read, as always Leah Fleming keeps you glued to every sentence,cant wait to read next book, keep up the good work Leah
on 21 August 2011
this book was brill i like to read murder but i thought l would give the war widowsa a go i am so glad i did i could not but it down l have just downlowded war orphn i hope ts as good
on 19 October 2015
Have read most of Leah Flemings books which I have loved, especially captains daughter and The postcard. However was not so keen on this one a little bit slow but still a good read from a wonderful author.
on 12 May 2015
I enjoyed this book being someone who grew up in the 5os and 60s. Leah Fleming researches her eras well and I found the family interesting and the story kept my interest. OK it isn't deep and meaningful but is a good, entertaining read. Now reading the sequel Mothers and Daughters which I think is even better with more depth and covering some things that were controversial in the 60s such as homosexuality and unmarried mothers. She does this with great insight and sympathy so if you liked The War Widows give Mothers and Daughters a try. She nails the early 60s very well.
on 18 December 2013
This was an excellent book, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Leah Fleming is an author to watch and I'm looking forward to reading more of her books.
on 9 April 2012
This book is very predictable. It is ideal if you like detailed descriptions of post war Britain - the food shortages, rationing, coupons etc. I thought that the characters were 'wooden' and had no depth. It is a very easy read - the 'good' characters are the winners and the 'bad' characters are the losers!!! Unfortunately I didn't like it and would not recommend it. I will not download another book by Leah Fleming.