5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, Mind-stretching and Inspirational
Okay, so that's a bit over the top. But these stories (one story, told in many different ways, actually) make me smile, make me think about language, syntax, construction and style, and inspire me to have a go myself.
The writer uses a range of styles to explore the differences this makes to the story, and to the reader's perception of the protagonists. This book is...
Published on 19 Aug. 2002 by Andy Back

1.0 out of 5 stars Excrement in Piles
Sorry to break with the consensus on this supposed masterpiece, but I'm afraid that I found it a great big malodorous heap of merde. I could say that in 98 other ways but I'd surely bore the pants off you.

It's not that I'm a Wilbur Smith reader who just stumbled on this book by accident. I've read Queneau before and was interested by the concept behind this...
Published 15 months ago by James Abbott

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential book for writers, 20 Nov. 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Exercises in Style (Paperback)
Queneau keeps you laughing so that you almost fail to notice him slipping in a remarkable lesson about language, writing, and creativity. This book forever changed the way I teach my college writing course-and changed me as a writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Dec. 2014
theideasguy.co.uk (Amersham, Buckinghamshire, UK. HP6) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Exercises in Style (Oneworld Classics) (Paperback)
thought provocking - shame about the story used. but ha ho. write your own.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is hard to render Queneau's wit into another language., 21 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Exercises in Style (Paperback)
I have not yet read the English translation Barbara Wright made of "Exercices de style". Someone else said that she "stayed true" to the original version, but I find it hard to believe that she could exactly render Queneau's wit into English. Instead, I exhort anyone who is learning French to read the original version; it is a remarkable opportunity to learn the structure of a foreign language, and to laugh at the same time. Or, if you know Italian a little, try to read the translation by Umberto Eco; as both a semiologist and a writer, he skilfully added new amusing variations on the main theme.

Exercises in Style (Oneworld Classics)
Exercises in Style (Oneworld Classics) by Raymond Queneau (Paperback - 1 July 2008)
Used & New from: £4.44