4.0 out of 5 stars The real america for me.
Published on 12 Oct 2011 by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

3.0 out of 5 stars A road that lost it's drive.
I have always enjoyed The Big Yun in whatever form....but...it was with reasonable expectation that I began to read this book.Billy started of well but became more pompous than usual and seem to wander about a lot without making Route 66 live,it mainly existed..
I finished it but was close a couple of times to giving it up saying "who cares"
I'm glad I read it...
Published on 17 July 2012 by R. D. Mayles

3.0 out of 5 stars A road that lost it's drive., 17 July 2012
R. D. Mayles (uk) - See all my reviews
I'm glad I read it but wouldn't rush to lend it to my friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars The real america for me., 12 Oct 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As a fan of Billy Connolly, I was glued to the TV series so when I heard that the book accompanying it was on its way, I signed up straight away so that I could relive the ride with one of my favourite comedian's. Whilst I wasn't enamoured with the previous book this one felt more like the Billy Connolly I knew from his shows, with his witty observations, his sense of fun and of course the chance to travel one of the most famous roads in the world without having to pay astronomical holiday fares.

All in, its fun, it has a great sense of humour and for me it was chance to see the real America over the Hollywood representation/invention that is becoming taken as fact rather than the myth to which it is. Add to this some great photographs, a step by step guide and a wonderful journey all round.

3.0 out of 5 stars Started well and then ran out of steam, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Billy Connolly's Route 66: The Big Yin on the Ultimate American Road Trip (Hardcover)
I bought this book for an upcoming visit to USA during which we will be taking Route 66 from Chicago to St Louis. Fortunately for us about 50% of the book covers this section. After St Louis he starts to run out of things to see/do that the average Joe would also be able to see/do. At times he is a bit pompous and condescending and the last 3rd of book is very weak and ends in a bit of a whimper.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good..., 15 Jan 2013
Mr. T. Wilkinson (York, England) - See all my reviews
This was an easy read for sure and contained some useful information that wetted my appetite for travelling down Route 66 later this year.

The trouble was, Billy Conolly (who I like as a comic), tended to waffle on about people he'd met and who I will almost certainly not meet enroute. I think he could have used the time and space talking more about the things I will see and which he didn't. It was interesting to read the waffle, but in a relatively short book I didnt think there was the space for it.

So, although the book was an interesting read and contained a few tips, there was an awful lot of the 400 pages that contained nothing that will benefit me on my drive. He was quite clearly privileged in some of the things he was able to do as well, so the trip to a medicine man or going on a turkey shoot I'd never be able to do, nor could I afford the $700 to spend a night in a cave...but he spent a lot of time talking about these. He also talked quite a lot about how miserable the weather was and how cold he was and how great trikes were and how people shouldn't drive in a convertible or a Harley etc. There was an awful, awful lot of "dead space" in the book.

I'd have prefered it if he had spent more time telling me about the route and what "I" would see and less about the things I never would. That said, I read it all and enjoyed the read, but at the end of it, I'm not sure I learnt much at all. I wish it had been longer or that he had "got on with it", which is what I was thinking at some times while reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Wish I could have given it 4.5, 21 Aug 2014
I started the book with a bit of trepidation the the BigYin might go all show biz and bollox with this one, but thankfully not, we'll not too much any way.

A thoroughly good read which left me (and probably many others) jealous that you just don't get meet such interesting characters in our humdrum lives. However Billy made it feel like like it was me talking to them. I never realised I had so much in common with the big fella over matters of real importance.

As for the road itself, I have always resisted making the bucket list that every saddo does, but I think I really would like to take the highway that's the best, probably in an old Mustang or even a pick up truck, reading the Grapes of Wrath again as I went.

3.0 out of 5 stars Billy Connolly's Route 66, 12 Nov 2011
I was so looking forward to this, having driven the route a couple of times but I can't help feeling a little underwhelmed. Billy's 'take' on American culture is, as with everything he does, highly entertaining and, to a significant degree, informative. If the remit was to produce a TV programme and book that gives a personal and subjective overview of some aspects of the 'mother road', then it hit the mark. For me, though, it was a missed opportunity to delve a little deeper into the role of Route 66 as a metaphor for America's relationship with the car and how it's a country whose commercial businesses have developed to service the automobile. His references to towns that have almost disappeared since the de-commissioning of the road were very few and far between. As another reviewer has noted, he was very wide of the mark in his comments about the Meramec Caverns and just didn't seem to 'get' what they were all about. I've always loved Billy Connolly's anarchic humour and I enjoyed his trip overall, I just wish it had been a little more thorough and nuanced in it's approach - but maybe that's another book!Billy Connolly's Route 66: The Big Yin on the Ultimate American Road Trip

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
An interesting and funny read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 July 2014
Brilliant especially as it inspired us to travel Route 66 last year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Billy Connolly at his best again, 19 Jun 2014
Excellent travelogue of this iconic road written by a gifted narrator with humility, wit and majesty. Highly recommended. Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Billy Connolly's Route 66., 5 May 2014
It is a very enjoyable and good read. What else is there to say? Cheers and thank you to the people at Amazon.

Billy Connolly's Route 66: The Big Yin on the Ultimate American Road Trip