Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Listen with Prime Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Shop now

on 29 September 2013
Whilst the sentiment of appreciating time, or rather not worrying about time, that the author tries to convey is perhaps admirable, the book comes across as slightly preachy and religious. The writing style is very easy to read but reminded me a children's book. Personally, I didn't get much out of reading The Time Keeper and the religious themes made me slightly uncomfortable at times, but overall it was OK.
on 17 September 2013
'With endless time, nothing is special. With no loss or sacrifice, we can't appreciate what we have.'

===Sort Synopsis===

This story starts 6 millennia ago when a man first discovers how to record time and is banished and turned into Father Time.
Only in the 20th century is he released to make amends - ad he has two people to meet up with and work through their problems. A fictional fable about how we think of everything in relation to Time.

===My Opinion===

I have been quite a fan of Mitch Albom, enjoying his two other books, 'The Five People You Meet in Heaven' and 'Tuesdays with Morrie'.
I quite enjoy time travel stories so when say this book was newly released on Amazon I decided to give it a try.
Like all other of Mitch's books it is written in an easy to read style. The chapters are very short and there are quite a few pages with just a few lines of writing on, so although the book is classed as
256 pages the actual story only takes up 136 of them and being short chapters as well you can read it really quickly. You could easily finish it in a day.
I am not quite sure what I think of this book and it was not until you actually got to the end of the story that you had any idea how things would work out.
The main character is Dor, who is clever and figures out how to record time with sticks and shadows. For bringing the awareness of time to the human race he is banished - but then comes back to save two individuals.
I am sorry to say this book did not grip me quite as the other Mitch Albom books did. I enjoyed reading it and wanted to keep reading the net page and the next age, but although it was dealing with how we think of time and how we value it, or not, it did not really resonate with me as much as it should have done.
According to the book 'everything happens when it is supposed to'.
You get to see a certain part of the future where ' everyone can live longer than we imagined. They fill every waking minute with action, but they are empty'.
It is a moral tale to encourage people to value the time they have, and not to wish for the past or the future - tie is limited on earth - so that we value it more - ''There is a reason God limited our days - to make each one special'. For 'when you are measuring time, you are not living it'.
I did enjoy this book in its way - and am not sure really why I feel slightly detached from the characters. I would recommend this as a quick short read - quite enjoyable - but not quite as good as some of Albom's other works
on 14 November 2012
This novel tells the story of two seemingly insignificant people - one who is running out of time and is desperate to extend the inevitable, another who wants nothing more than to make time go faster - as they are brought together by a man who lived thousands of years ago trying to teach them to value the time they've both been given, no matter how short or long.

'The Time Keeper' starts at the dawn of man's history with Dor and his friends Nim and Alli. As they grow older Nim seeks power and tries to control the people, Dor on the other hand seems perfectly content to build a life with Alli. Until he gets consumed by tracking time. He is the first human to make devices to count time, and as he predicts when the sun and moon come and go he even starts on the first calendar.

But as Alli falls ill, Dor wants to not only count time, but also control it. Desperate to gain more time with his wife Dor runs up a tower, which Nim's slaves built all the way to heaven, in the hopes that the gods can help save Alli. Instead he ends up in a cave as Father Time and as thousands of years pass he hears the people's voices pleading for more or less time, never happy with the speed at which time passes for them.

Sarah Lemon is a high school student, smarter than most of her peers and an outcast. But when a popular guy in her school suddenly pays attention to her she keeps wishing for time to go quicker so she can see him again.

Victor Delamonte is the fourteenth richest man in the world and while he's in his mid-eighties he's still working as the head of his company. Suffering from cancer his time is quickly running out and using the wealth at his disposal Victor is seeking a way to stop time and extend his life.

Dor observes both Sarah and Victor and as their stories escalate he comes into their lives to try and show them those things about time he didn't know himself when he was still walking the earth.

As a reader it takes a few chapters to truly get engrossed by the novel. The writing is quite abrupt, the various storylines chopped up and intertwining even though they do not belong together yet. However, the characters gradually start to come more alive, or perhaps it was a case of me getting used to the writing style, as their stories come together.

Other than the story being told in short chunks, making it hard for the reader to connect to the characters, the writing is beautiful. Some of the phrases that particularly stood out to me were:

"It is never too late or too soon. It is when it is supposed to be."

"There is a reason God limits our days."
"Why?"
"To make each one precious."

In an age where everything is measured by time and we are absolutely controlled by it, often rushing from one place to the next because a watch or calendar or clock says we should, it's fascinating to stand still by the principle of time; how and where it started, why we're so consumed by it now and how important it truly is in the grand scheme of things.

'The Time Keeper' is a novel that makes you think, that's for sure.
on 17 February 2014
By the same author of The Five People You Meet In Heaven, this short novel (or long fable, which seems more appropriate), is a thought-provoking, engrossing read, and I finished it in about four hours, at three in the morning, whilst stuck in a moment of insomnia. I was running out of time to sleep whilst, ironically, reading about time--the concept of it; the implications that time has had on everyone's lives.

We never have enough time. Or we have too much. We're either looking to the past, or ahead to the future, but we barely ever live in the present day. In the now.

Either way, Mitch Albom approaches the subject in a fresh, non-preachy, non-patronising way, and the effect worked. I put the book down with a good feeling bubbling inside me; a need to stop placing time on a pedestal and just live my life and enjoy it. The story itself doesn't have much depth, and yet there's a measure of depth in its simplicity. It's a thin story wrapped around a lesson.

Or a lesson wrapped around a story.

Or entwined.

Whatever.

Anyway, check it out. I recommend it. Plus you'll finish it in an afternoon, so it won't take up too much TIME. Ya dig?
on 24 December 2012
I have chosen a 3 star rating based on a comparison to all the other books I have read written by this author. The topic of the book, the invention of time and mankind's problems with it, is well chosen and interesting, however the story itself drags along and I had to force myself to read on to the end. I love Mitch Albom's other books and recently went to see "Tuesdays with Morrie" as a play on stage, but I was disappointed by the Time Keeper.
on 31 December 2013
Fables are meant to be short - just enough to get the point across, reasonably subtly. Since this this a fable about the how precious time is, beating the reader over the head for 200+ pages about how precious it is, smacks of overkill.
The simplistic writing style grates at this length. The saccharine ending is poor. Reading this book is, unfortunately, a waste of time.
on 12 June 2013
This is the 4th book by this author that I've read and I think this is my favourite so far. I love the idea behind this book .
on 25 September 2013
Having read and loved The Seven People You Meet in Heaven I thought I would give this a try.
It is an interesting take on our perception of time and its dominance over us. But for a short book it is a bit laborious in trying to get a spiritual feel across.
on 9 February 2014
Having read The Five People You Meet in Heaven and read the reviews of The Time Keeper here, I was so looking forwards to reading it. Sadly, it didn't live up to expectations. While the story of Sarah rang true, and the story of Dor was clearly fantastical so acceptable, Victor's story was just too far fetched. It ruined the rest of the book.

I also felt rather cheated with the style. It felt very much as if he was trying to base something on the successful style of The Five People, but it lacked any natural fluidity of that book.

It was ok but nothing more. The Five People I will keep, this goes to the charity shop.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 September 2012
As a fan of Mitch Albom I was looking forward to reading this,however in my opinion it was not as good as his previous novels.
It centres around Father Time, a man doomed to live forever listening to the voices of people wishing they had a longer life with more time for themselves. He is given the task of coming to earth to help two people, one an elderly gentleman Victor who is terminally ill and wishes to live forever, the other Sarah, a teenager who wishes to end her life. If successful Father Time will be granted the freedom and happiness he has yearned for.
An easy read with as is usual with this author a strong meaning running through the book pertaining to life. For me I just found the story lacking, not my favourite.