Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 9 November 2007
cynthia harrod-eagles continues the tale of the Morlands during World War 1. Her characters are real and as I have read the full series they are like family to me. The war scenes are descriptive and harrowing and the twists in the story never fail to amaze. Very readable either on its own or as part of the series. Highly recommended
on 24 January 2009
I have read every single one of the Dynasty series books and have thoroughly enjoyed them - the trials and tribulations, triumphs and successes of the Morland family and their involvement in history through the last five centuries. I am, however, becoming a little concerned.

Early on in the series, we were promised that 'Cynthia Harrod-Eagles will be bringing the saga up to the present day'. Now, I don't know how old Ms Harrod-Eagles is, but the last three books (and from the marketing blurb I think the new one, Foreign Fields), all manage to cover only a year in time. If each book from now on is only going to take us through twelve months, and the author writes one a year, then I will be pushing up daisies long before we reach 2009 and will never know the contemporary Morland family - nor indeed will the author, whatever her current age!

My point in all of this is that these three (and I imagine four) books are covering too little time. I am interested in history, and I appreciate the need to create an atmosphere (which the author does superbly); in many places I found myself moved to tears, so real do the characters seem. Unfortunately, I did also find that I was almost unconsciously glazing over in on e or two long passages of detailed description about battle formations and planning which in most instances didn't have very much to do with either the story of the Morland family's many scions or, indeed, creating the atmosphere needed for the book; that has already been done by other techniques.

Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent book; it's just a tad more detailed historical information than Morland family story (although this one is an improvement on the previous two in that respect).

I really feel that World War I could have been covered in one good, thick volume; we could then be well into the roaring twenties or even have reached the second World War by now.

So, sadly, I have to ask myself if, despite the promises, we will ever see the Morlands of the twenty-first century?
on 2 February 2009
This is the latest in the Cynthia Harrod Eagles Morland Dynasty series. I have been reading this series for the past 15 years and look forward to the next chapter each year. Although, the story is fictional the historical facts are all accurate and the writing captures the imagination of the reader, leaving you always wanting to know what will happen next.
on 13 April 2009
Just finished 'The Measure of Days' - I am huge fan of the Morland series, they are my favourite books ever, and this one didn't disappoint. Unfortunately, I can't physically manage hardbacks so will have to wait for the next one to come out in paperback, which is really annoying. My only slight moan is that there was a lot of battle detail, which I found a bit irritating, as I know some other readers have. I am very interested in the history, but I think Ms Harrod-Eagles could ease up a bit on the battle formations!
on 2 March 2013
My wife absolutely loves the Morland dynasty series. She began way back at number one and has followed CHE throughout. She assures me that this is an excellent volume in keeping with the brilliance of the series as a whole. Highly recommended.
on 8 December 2012
This series has been absolutely enthralling and I've enjoyed it immensely. The historical details of the time periods that we travel through on this journey is accurate and detailed, but most of all its the characters the authors creates that grab and keep you interested, they drive the story along like a steam train.

My only criticism is that at times the political detail is too long and blocks the flow of the main story and I've felt that its been used as a tool to fill the pages more than part of the story. That aside the series as a whole and this book in particular is a wonderful read.
on 5 July 2009
cynthia harrod eagles does it again with this book as the morland saga continues.It left me wanting to read the next one in the series immediately.
on 7 April 2011
Some parts of the story seemed a little slow but overall it gave a realistic picture of life during the 1WW.
on 18 February 2010
THE DYNASTY SERIES IS MOSTLY A TOUR DE FORCE, AND I THINK THE AUTHOR REALLY CONVEYS THE LIFE LIVED AT THE VARIOUS TIMES OF HER BOOKS, AND ALSO THERE IS AN INTERESTING RANGE OF CHARACTERS. SHE HAS ACHIEVED A CREDIBLE ACCOUNT OF A FAMILY AND YOU CAN SEE THE INFLUENCES OF THEIR HISTORY AND THE VARIOUS SPLENDID OR APPALLING MEMBERS OF THAT FAMILY, AND THEIR EFFECT ON THE FORTUNES OF THEIR LINE. PERSONALLY I FIND THEM ALL A GREAT READ, IF OF COURSE YOU LIKE HISTORICAL, WELL RESEARCHED, NOVELS.
on 19 May 2015
Have now read the whole series of the Dynasty books. Let them out to other people to read and all enjoy reading about one family from the 12th century to WW2. Great writer.