4.0 out of 5 stars great book!
I loved Twisted Wing (her last book), so I was really looking forward to reading this one. Twisted wing was so good this book had a lot to live up to.
I couldn't put this book down, Ruth Newman is a very talented writer. I would def recommend this book. I have given it 4 stars as although it is a great book which I really enjoyed, it wasn't quite as good as twisted...
Published on 7 Aug 2010 by nds

2.0 out of 5 stars I preferred the boxed set of The Sopranos...
Like most of the previous reviewers I thoroughly enjoyed Ruth Newman's first novel Twisted Wing. This was a genuinely clever novel with strong plotting - and was well written to boot. In fact I recall describing her as the next Ruth Rendell in my review.

The Company of Shadows is a great disappointment. It started well but rapidly turned into a preposterous...
Published on 27 Aug 2010 by Trollope & Fruitcake

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor and ridiculously far fetched, 15 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Company of Shadows (Paperback)
What a load of tripe. I've never read a Newman book before, and will steer clear in the future. The whole plot was beyond ridiculous, as was the character of "Kate" who went from a frightened wife to the hard nosed daughter of a London ganagster. Her father then hilariously goes on to merrily chat with the head of a New York family about the perils of bringing up uncooperative children who won't take part in the family business. Utter and absolute tosh.

And as far as the "twists and turns" are concerned, you could see them coming a mile off once you catch on that Newman depserately grabs at any outlandish idea that keeps this lame excuse of a story moving forward. Really, save your money and give this a wide, wide berth.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 9 Aug 2010
S. Milburn "sjm1013" (Harrogate, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Company of Shadows (Paperback)
Having read Ruth's first book, was looking forward to/bracing myself for another gruesome murder story. This was so different but I actually enjoyed it more than the first.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 11 July 2010
This review is from: The Company of Shadows (Paperback)
Ms. Newman's debut novel was really good. This second effort was not. The story was goofy, just too preposterous.

The Company of Shadows
The Company of Shadows by Ruth Newman (Paperback - 6 Jan 2011)
7.22