4.0 out of 5 stars great book!
I loved Twisted Wing (her last book), so I was really looking forward to reading this one. Twisted wing was so good this book had a lot to live up to.
Published on 7 Aug 2010 by nds

2.0 out of 5 stars I preferred the boxed set of The Sopranos...
Like most of the previous reviewers I thoroughly enjoyed Ruth Newman's first novel Twisted Wing. This was a genuinely clever novel with strong plotting - and was well written to boot. In fact I recall describing her as the next Ruth Rendell in my review.

Published on 27 Aug 2010 by Trollope & Fruitcake

4.0 out of 5 stars great book!, 7 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Company of Shadows (Paperback)
I couldn't put this book down, Ruth Newman is a very talented writer. I would def recommend this book. I have given it 4 stars as although it is a great book which I really enjoyed, it wasn't quite as good as twisted wing. But still brilliant and very easy to read. Characters were great. I dont want to write too much without ruining it.

2.0 out of 5 stars I preferred the boxed set of The Sopranos..., 27 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Company of Shadows (Paperback)

The Company of Shadows is a great disappointment. It started well but rapidly turned into a preposterous "James Bond meets the Sopranos"-style tale - liberally peppered with chick-lit type references. And it seemed quite clumsily-written to me.

Hopefully Ruth Newman will be back on form with her next novel.

Meanwhile I advise buying the complete Sopranos boxed set on DVD if organised crime is your thing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Company of Shadows (Paperback)
Like other reviewers I was also eagerly awaiting Ruth Newmans second book, having thoroughly enjoyed Twisted Angel. The book started promisingly enough but less than halfway through I was already frustrated by the unrealistic twists and turns that Kates personality, not to mention the plot, took. By the end it was just pure farce with seemingly little thought put into the writing process and plot. I was very disappointed and almost couldnt be bothered to finish the book. I probably wont buy Ruth Newmans next novel on the basis of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 28 July 2010
Jenny Tyrrell (Barnsley, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Company of Shadows (Paperback)
I bought this book based on my enjoyment of Ruth Newman's debut novel Twisted Wing, and I can certainly say I am NOT disappointed! Whilst a very different story from Twisted Wing, the plot has almost as many twists and turns and develops at just the right pace to keep you hooked but not lose you. Only my full-time job and two small children prevented me from finishing this book in one sitting - I whole-heartedly recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining and unusual read., 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Company of Shadows (Paperback)
I really enjoyed Ruth Newman's debut novel 'Twisted Wing' which I thought was brilliant. This is completely different being an entertaining and unusual read which I couldn't put down. Not quite as good as 'Twisted Wing' which was a hard act to follow but enjoyable all the same. I judge all novels the same way. If I can't put it down, can't wait to get to the end and then want to read it again then I rate the novel as brilliant and thoroughly recommend it and give it five stars.
This was not quite in that category but I would still recommend it. I think Ruth Newman is a very talented writer and I can't wait to read her next offering.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read... Starts off believable but gets a bit silly, 3 Jun 2012
The book is instantly catching, the air of mystery and suspense is thrilling. The book progresses well but the only down side is that it feels like the author swapped half way through and the very real emotions turned into somewhat of a silly tale that let the overall story down....

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious in the extreme, 7 May 2012
Amazon Customer (Leicestershire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Company of Shadows (Paperback)
This must surely be one of the worst books I have attempted to read, I actually got it from the library, so at least I haven't thrown money down the drain.

Totally implausible, and long winded in the extreme. I have actually given up on it 2/3 of the way through when the storyline took a turn that was totally unreasonable and almost laughable. I wasn't very taken with the characters, so got to a stage of not caring what happened anyway .... now I will never know! :-)

This is my first foray into the world of Ruth Newman, and I doubt that I will venture there again.

I was also irritated by the grammatical errors .... 'Off of' and 'Sat' instead of 'Sitting'

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating mystery., 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Company of Shadows (Paperback)
Today its one year - Kate Benson is still just making it through each day, having dreams every night about her dead husband. David and Samantha, her friends are supportive trying to get her interested in anything, even their holiday snaps. As Kate listlessly flips through them she sees in the background of a photograph taken in a restaurant, her husband Charlie.

Whilst her friends say they can see a likeness they say it cannot be him, but Kate is certain it is and is ready to fly out that night. Her friends urge caution and eventually Charlie's best friend Luke agrees to accompany her to Miami.

Despite being constantly told it could not possibly be him, Kate is determined to track down the man in that photograph. As she follows the trail she begins to question the circumstances of her husband's death, and also the people she trusts, or can she trust them?

This is one of those books you cannot put down. A fascinating mystery. Highly recommended.
-----
Lizzie Hayes

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly constructed plot., 16 July 2010
This review is from: The Company of Shadows (Paperback)
I read Ruth Newman's previous book - Twisted Wing - and thought it was fantastic, so when this new novel was released i immediately bought it. It's a very different type of story - but it is none the less brilliant for that.
This book keeps you guessing all the way and when it comes together - very clever.

Buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!! A Great 2nd Book from an Amazing Author!, 11 Aug 2010
Mr. J. Chiffins "J Chiff" (Portsmouth, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Company of Shadows (Paperback)
This book demonstrates the absolute talent of this wonderful author! This is a great story of mysteries and twists that will keep you guessing till the very end!

What the below 1 star reviewer does not understand the skill to write in a detailed descriptive manner - taking the reader to the streets of Miami or Sicily - helping the reader experience the sights, sounds and even tastes from the environment

I enjoyed every minute and will be happily reading this again.

Loved it!!!

ARRAY(0xa99c9594)

The Company of Shadows
The Company of Shadows by Ruth Newman (Paperback - 6 Jan 2011)
7.10