on 2 May 2000
My guess is that if you are looking up this book it is because you are familliar with Scott Peck's work and particulary with The Road Less Travelled. The Road Less Travelled had a profound impact on me in my early twenties - as I know it did millions of other people. Further Along the Road is just as good, if not better.
I read it recently in my thirties and it felt like an extraordinarily wise and more mature book. I believe the man who wrote it, has grown in wisdom and maturity and he shares that here in a style which is, as always, clear, thought-provoking and above all affecting. I felt like I was in the presence of a real truth-seeker and a man who had come a good way down the Less Travelled Road himself, and was not afraid to admit his failings and pitfalls.
I might add that after the Road less Travelled I bought a number of other Scott Peck books ( A Different Drum, A World WAiting to Be Born, People of the Lie) and was usually disappointed. Further Along on the other hand is a seriously good book. Highly recommended for all seekers of wisdom.
0Comment|99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2006
For an lapsed christian like myself this book was the first to make me do a half turn towards the ideals of christianity again, and sort the concepts of Jesus from the misinformation that surrounds them. The four stages of psycho-spiritual growth are a psychological tool that can be applied to a host of organisations, countries and individuals, and are a valuable explanation into what thoughtful, intelligent people feel instinctively about religious institutions and teachings. Definitely a good book to read if you have been let down or confused by the religious doctrine of your birth. Life changing stuff.
on 19 October 2009
If like me you purchased this book because you found 'The Road Less Travelled' wonderfully insightful, be aware that this follow-up book has a slightly different tone to it. I was quite surprised by the quite heavy references to Christianity.

It's predecessor resonated with something inside of me mainly because it managed to find a path in between Christianity and non-denominational/non-religious spirituality. If like me you are searching for spiritual support from sources which appreciate atheism or agnosticism or if you question the benevolence of a 'god' rejecting the immediate justification that 'well, God moves in mysterious ways' - or if you practice other religions - then this book might not be for you. I found that because of this the book had a far less positive impact on me than the first. I do not feel that it added anymore to my learning or development. Instead it left me feeling slightly frustrated.

I appreciate that these are highly subjective comments - and they are no way intended to offend - but no other similar comments were made and so I felt it neccessary to share my experiences.
on 28 April 2013
I bought this because the road less travelled was such a good book. However this follow up is much of the same and not really any more enlightening, not worth bothering with to be honest.
on 15 November 2013
I enjoyed the previous read ‘The Road Less Travelled’ which has become an all-time favourite. This book completely contradicts the predecessor and encompasses religious views, with a self-realisations bringing Mr Peck to a complete conversion to faith. A lot of the content is repeated from the previous book, it’s almost like a culmination of what’s been written before.

S Peck is a brilliant author in his own right, I was just disappointed that the journey in this book tuck a huge turn.
on 12 January 2010
Enjoyed The Road Less Travelled but this sequel seemed more a dissertation on authors view of Christianity and New Age in quite some detail. His maxims of life is difficult and life is complicated add little. No doubt there is a simpler more positive and beneficial approach.

The author does however give some sharp insights into problems with modern Psychiatry which may be of interest to professional clinicians and those with a general interest alike.
on 10 September 2000
This is a great book and explains the nature of problems, love, grace, etc. I'd say that the Different Drum is a tiny bit better but I think you should read this first and then the Different Drum. I read this when I found it on my parent's table about a few months ago, when I was 14. Since then I have read Further along, DD and people of the lie plus many other books of this type. It is really inspiring and if every one of my age (or any age for that matter) read this, the world would become an extraordinary place.
on 16 August 2010
Having read and enjoyed (if thats the right word!) 'The road' I was looking forward to reading this book. As I read the book I found myself getting more and more disillusioned with his logic and arguments,and closing the book at the end I will never read it again. Maybe it's something to do with him becoming a Christian in the intervening time, but many of his arguments and propositions I found one sided and incomplete, almost like he was trying to re-write 'the road'to suit his new circumstances. I will still hold the original book dear, but this one goes to the Charity Shop!
on 28 March 2010
The Road Less Travelled is amazing, but Further Along The Road Less Travelled allowed me to practically assess and improve upon my understanding of life and the point of it. The sections on Blame, Death and Growth, Stages Of Spirituality and Self-Love Versus Self-Esteem were particularly enlightening for me.
VINE VOICEon 22 April 2012
I borrowed this book from a friend as I read a little of it and loved Scott's straight forward approach to life. He is very blunt and I loved the way he started this book, so straight, no messing, very honest and upfront about how life really is. It was a wonderful read. I very much recommend it for that reason.

Sadly about halfway through the book was ruined for me. He started talking about Jesus and God a lot. To me this is a book on spiritual ways of living and I really didn't want religion dragged into it too much. I can skim over the odd mention as I'm not against an author giving their beliefs, but as the book went on it felt like I was being preached to, and like Scott was trying desperately to win me over to Christianity. I don't want religion being brought into how I look at the world, but I was suddenly being told that it was up to God as to how my life would go. I don't appreciate being told that :)

I did not read the first book but was initially tempted to, however I am less tempted now :) I do recommend people read this book as it did bring up a few issues for me that I felt I need to deal with in order to make my life better. Had it not been for his blunt approach to life, I wouldn't have noticed them. I just really wish it hadn't ended the way it did.