Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 August 2015
Having read the first book in this series Shadow Prowler I just had to read the second instalment. It is a little faster paced than its predecessor as Alexey Pehov moves the story along towards the final destination with yet more wonderful characterisations, fight scenes and twists and turns.

Shadow Harold the hero and narrator of this tale is continuing his adventures from the first book; hunting down the elusive Rainbow Horn. He and his wonderful companions enter the old capital of Valiostr, Ranneng, a move that will bode badly for the exotic crew. The city provides villains and unexpected allies, and as per usual the bickering of the dynamic duo of Hallas and Deler.

After one day in the city of learning they are attacked and this leads to all sorts of adventures from a daring undercover mission to hunt a stolen Key, an amusing infiltration of a Count's home (in which Harold has to wear the most outrageous clothes). To a tense and thrilling showdown between two Masters of the Longsword. Sadly my favourite character is killed (that's unfortunately that's what happens when you get an Orc arrow to the face) but his funeral was beautiful written. He is only one of the tragedies that we, the readers are faced with in this book. Alexey Pehov writes wonderfully pulling at our heart strings, making us laugh with Kli-Kli's jokes and screaming with frustration as a traitor is revealed.

This instalment keeps you on your toes as more characters are introduced and as more of The Master's machinations are revealed to us through the use handy prophetic dreams and flashbacks, where Harold explore what it means to be 'The Dancer in the Shadows' and uncovers the origins of some of the Master's henchmen. This second book is once again translated from it's original Russian by Andrew Bromfield who does an excellent job. Although it can be a bit hard to keep up with what enemy is doing what, after all The Nameless one is racing The Master to get to Harold first. But still the book is excellent!

I found the book to be just as good as the first one, providing a great read. I really recommend reading it!!!
VINE VOICEon 9 June 2011
This second part of the Chronicles of Saila is nearly as good as book one. Plenty of action and magic. However I found that even though it is only a few months ago that I read it, I had forgotten most of the first story. It took some time to get my bearings with this one.

IT got a bit confusing at times as the hero keeps going off into dreams and it isn't until he wakes up that you realise that it was only a dream.

I shall certainly buy the next volume but hope that there are not more. will then read all three from start ti finish as this will make it easier to keep track of all the events.
on 6 May 2012
I have waited a while before I managed to get hold of a copy of Shadow Chaser. Read and enjoyed the first book "Shadow Prowler" but had a few issues with the translation. In this book the same translator has got to grips with the language of fantasy and this book just flows... but having said that Pehov has got into his stride and well and unusually I found this book even better than the first. The plot is straight forward and along the way we learn more about Dancer and his destiny and now.... I NEED to read book 3 and I need it now!!!! EXCELLENT
on 25 January 2013
I loved Shadow Prowler and sought out the two sequels. I was a bit disappointed in this as the pace lost some momentum. Did enjoy the humour though.
on 28 April 2011
My thoughts:
It's not often these days that I read translated books, but this is one of them as it is translated from Russian, and the translator does a good job.

In the last book they all left on a long journey, and one traveller died and the loss is still felt. They all know now that they all will not make it to Hrad Spein and even fewer will make it out of there. It will not be an easy journey.

Harold the thief doesn't have the same spotlight as in book 2, in this one we get of the rest too. For example the goblin Kli-Kli, he plays the fool, but he is hiding something and he is much cleverer than what he looks. Kli-Kli is the humour in this book and that's nice. As for the rest of the characters, I do like them, and I wonder at the same time how many will remain at the end. An interesting cast, but also a cast of warriors and warriors fall.

This book is all about the journey. They are travelling, going to one city, gets into trouble, and later there is some fighting too. At the end I see a glimpse of something new and interesting. But at the same time the journey does feel a bit long, and in a way not much happen at all. The more interesting parts are the dreams Harold are having, of the Houses of Pain, Love and more, about a figure called the Master, about things passed that led to the Nameless one. And the best of all, a strange world where 3 figures wants him to come and save him. It seems worlds can be created. That whole system of magic fascinated me, and I hope we get more clues to it.

Conclusion:
A good enough fantasy novel, an epic journey, different characters and races, and the hunt for something that might lead to their death. What this book did bring me was more about the world itself. And I would read the next one, and hope he gets what he is after so that I can see the world saved.

Rating:
It was short (for fantasy) so a fast read
on 16 May 2013
Great book, can't put it down, but you need all 3 of the triology. Full of out of this world characters.
on 5 March 2015
Brill thanks a lot 😊
on 3 March 2012
It's reasonably well written at the start with the usual menagerie of goblins, gnomes and elves etc common to the genre but after a while even this can't conceal a rather feeble plot. The dream sequence, although genuinely nightmarish, compounds the plot problems. Have a thought for the poor sod who translated this from the Russian. Now there's a heroic saga worth telling!
on 19 May 2011
I like this story. Not quite like David Gemmell but who could equal him. Still a likeable rogue and companions and the story flows well.