My Single Friend
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£1.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 9 April 2010
At 28, Lucy Tyler has a good job in a PR firm, a fantastic and caring best friend in Henry and has two equally great friends in Erin and Dominique. However the only part of her life that doesn't seem to be working for Lucy is her love life. Particularly since she feels she needs to embellish everything she tells the men she dates, leading to a lot of disasters. Best friend Henry is equally as bad when it comes to dating and when he asks Lucy, Erin and Dominique to help him with an image makeover, something the girls begin with gusto. Henry emerges a completely new (and gorgeous) man and soon has girls practically falling at his feet. It's fantastic news for Henry, but Lucy wonders just what she has unleashed by making over her best friend. What's happened to the Henry she knew? And just what are these feelings she's suddenly feeling for him?...

The focus of Jane Costello's first two books were, in essence, weddings what with Bridesmaids about a girl who is constantly a bridesmaid and The Nearly-Weds being about a girl dumped at the altar so I was surprised that when I read the synopsis for My Single Friend that there appeared to be no weddings in sight! Now I'm not a huge fan of books where image is the main focus (Jemima J by Jane Green, for example), as is the case with My Single Friend, so I was interested and slightly wary of the fact that it only appeared that Lucy was attracted to Henry after his make-over. Of course that's how it may first appear but that really isn't the case at all. Jane Costello manages to balance the friendship between Lucy and Henry perfectly so, in all honesty, romance seems like the likely next step rather than it being all about Henry's new image being the only reason Lucy suddenly sees him in a new light.

The book, like Jane's other two, is written entirely from the point of view of the main character. In this case it was Lucy and I really loved her narration - she was funny and cringe-worthy but ultimately she was immensely lovely. What Costello does best, though, is being able to inject her books with so much warmth and humour. As the book hurtled towards it's conclusion I knew exactly how it would end and yet I still found myself smiling like a loon as I turned the last page. I absolutely loved the ending of My Single Friend and it reminded me of one of the endings of one of my favourite ever TV shows.

My Single Friend was just as enjoyable as Jane Costello's previous novels and it goes without saying that I fully recommend this book. Jane Costello is a huge new talent in chick lit and long may she continue writing such fantastic books. Her books are so enjoyable and definitely have the re-read factor that lots of books lack. I look forward to Jane's next book!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Lucy Tyler and Henry Fox have been best friends ever since she offered to show him around their primary school. They've spent summers together, went to college together, and now they live together. While Lucy continuously dates guys (that happen to be terribly wrong for her), Henry hasn't had many relationships at all. To remedy this, Lucy enlists her best friends Dominique and Erin to perform a proper makeover on Henry (including clothes, flirting, confidence, etc). But when they're done with Henry, they never imagined their project to be so successful - or for him to be so devastatingly attractive.

Jane Costello's new book is the perfect summer read. It has it all: the 'til-death-do-us-part friendship, an abundance of flirtations, uncomfortable-yet-hilarious moments, and a wonderful cast of characters. Admittedly, it was very predictable, but after a while I didn't care. It was a fun read.

The characters are fantastic. Lucy, who works for an PR agency, succeeds at her job, yet fails when it comes to relationships. She always tries to be someone else, hoping the act will better attract the guy. Meanwhile, Henry continuously tells her that she should just be herself. On the other side, the brilliant Henry dresses like an old man and spends more time curing diseases than meeting women. So when Lucy and her friends try to make him stop acting like himself, and start acting like an attractive, single man, he actually succeeds. He weeds through woman after woman, making up for years of inexperience, but never truly finds happiness, or himself, with any of them.

The friends, Dominique and Erin, are a fantastic backing cast. Dominique especially, with her Sex and the City Samantha like disposition with men is a powerhouse full of curves and confidence. Erin, the more normal one, is around for the ride, that is, until she gets thrown into the middle of all the action.

Costello's writing style is easy to follow and fun to read. Her picturesque words make any reader believe their walking the streets of England with Lucy and Henry.

As mentioned, it's a predictable read, but incredibly fun. I loved Lucy and Henry by the end, and wanted to hang out with them. It's a great distraction from everyday normalcies and reminds you of how much fun it is to get friends together for a night out. For a fun beach read, My Single Friend is great.
on 16 April 2010
When i got this book, i had high expectations as Jane Costello previous novels were amazing! and im happy to say this book didn't disappoint! it was sooo funny at certain points, that i had difficulty to contain my laughter (as i was reading this on the bus lol.) The book is about how Lucy is disaster at dating with telling a few white lies, she lives with her best friend Henry and decides to help her best-friend by giving him a make-over with the help of her friends Dominque and erin, and the outcome is Henry is now completely gorgeous! And Lucy starts to see henry in a new light, and not knowing how to deal with the new Henry! This book will give you everything you are looking for in Chick novel, funny, witty, romance! Lets hope her next novel is just as amazing as this!!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 April 2010
My single friend is another great book by Jane Costello.

The story follows Lucy and her unsuccessful love life and her best friend Henry who is also unlucky in love. With the help of Lucy's two friends Erin and Dominique they embark on "project Henry" where he is given a makeover, new clothes, hair and even help with flirting, but no one realises how successful this makeover will be...especially no Lucy.

Costello's writing makes you feel like your right there with the characters and her witty comments will have you laughing out loud.

A fantastic read that i would reccommend to anyone. Looking forward to her next book.
on 16 May 2010
My Single Friend is one of those rare gems that make you feel warm all over and can't wait to re-read it.

I like chick lit as much as the next girl, and you can never go wrong with a good 'ol love story. Having said that, it has to be a helluva good book for me to gush over it. Chick lit tends to be my between-reads, the one's I don't really have to pay much attention to, and one's I usually forget about after a few hours. My Single Friend could not be further from this, and is hereby shelved along with my fav reads of 2010.

Jane Costello will make you laugh at trifle, greedy chipmunks and badly timed anatomy word usage. She will make you cry at hopeless situations and the bitter agony of unrequited love. She will warm your heart, give you that beautiful good book glow and best of all - make you want to run out and grab all her other books.

I don't like to compare authors, as each are different in their own way but My Single Friend gave me the same lovely feeling as all Melissa Nathan's books did. I remember finishing The Waitress, and dying to get my hands on anything else with her name on the cover. My Single Friend provoked the same reaction.

This is an author to watch - and remember.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Having read and enjoyed Bridesmaids and The Nearlyweds, I really loved this book. I had to read it through in one go because it was so addictive (like Bridget Jones's Diary and several Jennifer Weiner books)

A reverse of the girl geek story line, with Henry, the intellectual hiding a killer body underneath all that couderoy, being given a transformation in to one hot man. Lucy, his friend, and only his friend for the last few decades has a disastrous love life and feels she can not be herself with the men she meets. Eventually, she works it out... I could almost hear Vanessa Williams' Best for Last being blasted out. Set in Liverpool and the funky world of PR, this is a really fun read. Will do well on any beach trip!
VINE VOICEon 3 June 2010
I have loved all of Jane Costello's previous books and this was no exception.

I liked all of the characters, they were very well likeable and the things they say and do actually did have me laughing out loud in places...which when on a bus makes you look a bit silly but hey lol

Henry and Lucy are so obviously meant for each other, its a wonder it isnt obvious to them. And Lucy's best friends as the secondary characters were really good and quite relatable to women who are in the "dating" scene I think.

I dont want to say too much for fear of giving it away. Yes it a basic storyline but if you love this type of book and have enjoyed Jane Costello's previous books then I say go for it, you won't be disappointed.

8/10
on 29 April 2010
I have read both of Jane Costello's previous books and enjoyed them - but this is in a different league. This isn't just chick-lit - it's a really good book in any genre. The two central characters somehow manage to be so lovable you're rooting for them from page one, despite their glaring flaws (Lucy is a compulsive liar obsessed with men and shoes, and Henry is an outright geek). The dialogue between Lucy, Henry and her friends flows so naturally it's like you're eavesdropping on their conversations, and Lucy's Liverpool family are beautifully described. Even if this isn't your normal sort of book, give it a go - anybody female is going to recognise at least a bit of themselves in it!
on 16 February 2014
What a great book!!! Loved it from the first minute onwards.

It was great to read about Henry’s transformation into a sexy and attractive man and I was only waiting for the moment, when Lucy was falling in love with her best friend, or let’s say, when she realised it.
It was clear to me, that Henry was in love with her and he almost told her.

He really sounds like the perfect man, almost to good to be true. Well, his first attempts of flirting are a bit shaky, but then he gets them all. Why does Lucy feel jealous? He starts going out with several women and becomes a real Macho. Lucy of course doesn’t like that. Then one night, the two of them decide to have a night in and she cooks for him. They cuddle up on the sofa and then they kiss... Henry stops, because he doesn’t want to ruin their friendship. Things are really awkward between them afterwards. jane found a great way to share all these moments with us, the writing is so gripping.

Lucy wants to tell him about her feelings several times, but she never does, because he has bigger news... He starts going out with one of her friends (Erin) and her other friend Dominique really thinks, that Erin is in love Henry. Out of the blue Henry announces, that he will going traveling for over a year with Erin and some of her friends. Lucy cannot believe it and is sooooooo sad. There is a lot going on in the story, but it’s never to much. Jane really understands how to create an interesting storyline and there was always some drama, which I consider very important in a novel, to make it fascinating and exciting.
When Lucy’s mom is in hospital, the day is there: Henry is leaving. Will it be too late?

The last few scenes were just so adorable and seemed so real, loved every single word and I was curious about how the characters decided to share their feelings.

Erin and Dominique were such goods friends and I loved who they were included in the story. All the characters seemed so lively and were well described.

I loved reading this book. It was so funny, romantic and full of interesting dates, talks and trips. I was waiting for them to get together, but I know there were still so many pages to read, so I had to wait! Well, it was worth it!!! ♥

Rating: 4.5
on 10 May 2013
I was given this book by a friend and told that I would really like it. You never know with that kind of book whether you are actually going to like it, or not, recommendations are difficult. I loved it. It was the first book I read by Jane Costello (and the only book I’d read by her for quite a while) and it was a very good start.

The two main characters in the book are instantly likeable, Henry and Lucy. I loved the fact that it was a male/female friendship, you don’t find that often enough in this genre of novels and I thought their relationship in general to be very realistic and something I could relate to! Lucy is a strong female lead in the book, which is something I love and yet her feelings of jealousy and the questions she has when Henry has his makeover were completely relatable! Henry is also a fun character to read about, I like the fact that his personality doesn’t really ever change, I would have loved to have known him in real life!

The idea for this storyline was truly inspired. Normally in this sort of situation, it’s the female who gets the makeover, and so making the guy get the makeover in this case was really refreshing! There were some truly laugh out loud moments and I literally couldn’t put it down-I read it over two days. There were also some fabulously unexpected moments, some real twists which only added to my enjoyment.

Given that this was my first Jane Costello novel, I definitely chose a good one! It was funny, captivating and a thoroughly enjoyable read, why this didn’t lead to me reading any more novels by Costello until now, I don’t know, but I’m definitely going to continue to work my way through everything else written by this fabulous author!