5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling journey through history
On this magical fictional journey (based on fact) through history, we get to experience Jacquetta's life by her side.

Before we begin the story there are family trees (if you read my reviews you will know I love to see a family tree!) detailing the houses of York, Lancaster and Tudor in the summer of 1430.

The story begins in a cell in Castle...
Published on 17 Sept. 2011 by Shazjera

3.0 out of 5 stars A return to something like form for Philippa Gregory
Published on 26 Sept. 2011 by EleanorB

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling journey through history, 17 Sept. 2011
Shazjera - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Lady of the Rivers (Hardcover)

The story begins in a cell in Castle Beaurevoir (1430) where we see Jacquetta become friends with Joan of Arc and then we journey with her through her marriage to John, the Duke of Bedford and on to her life as the wife of Richard Woodville and confidant to Queen Margaret.

As the Duke of Bedford's wife we see her welcomed in London and obeying his rules. Throughout her marriage to Richard we see her grow as a woman with much importance in her own relationship as well as that alongside Queen Margaret.

We see what happens in a man's world when a woman walks to the beat of her own drum and experience betrayal and deaths. The fear of living on the edge, not knowing who you can turn to is a page turner in itself!

History really does come to life in this book with the rival cousins at court ...with all the politics and alliances that are made and broken and the day-to-day living at court. We get a brief glimpse of how the peasants/commoners live and a chance to spend time at the edge of a battle.

I thought that Joan of Arc's demise was powerfully portrayed as seen from Jacquetta's perspective.

I really enjoyed our journey into alchemy and was heartbroken with Jacquetta when she heard the song of Melusina. This aspect of the gift she inherits, a song likened to that of the music of the spheres, is torture. Not enough time to do anything constructive but the knowledge that a family member will be leaving this earth.

Alongside the court intrigue and history, we watch Richard and Jaquetta's relationship spark and grow. In it's early days it survives the fact that she married beneath her and during the cousins differences, survives the distance separating them. Their relationship offsets the negativity that accompanies an unstable court.

I love it that this book is based on a real character from history. The author pieced together evidence of Jacquetta's life and has woven the fact into an absorbing world. There is a lot of truth in The Lady of the Rivers.

Anyone with a love of history, heroines who struggle to find their way in a man's world and find their power will enjoy this book. You won't be disappointed. I would love to see more women from history researched and brought into public awareness! We need a balanced view - not just the `great' men that shaped the world.

I would like to thank the publisher's for sending me a copy and enriching my world for an absorbing week!

4.0 out of 5 stars An absorbing book, a good holiday read., 17 Sept. 2011
Janet Cockerill "grandma" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lady of the Rivers (Hardcover)
Third in the Cousins' War series this novel concentrates on Jaquetta, mother of the White Queen,Elizabeth Woodville.It is not necessary to read the other two books first,they each stand alone.
This is a sweeping story covering Jaquetta's early life in France where she meets Joan of Arc, a marriage of convenience when she marries an English Duke and one for love to Richard Woodville of Grafton Manor, Northamptonshire.She has gifts which enable her see the future, and with her intellect, beauty and ambition she soon becomes a leading figure in the royal court of Margaret of Anjou and the ailing Henry VIth.
A huge amount of research has been put into the writing which supports the romantic aspects of the novel and make them credible.The rival dynasties of Lancaster and York fight for power while the people of England suffer immense poverty .If you yawned your way through the never ending Wars of the Roses at school, as I did, this book certainly puts meat on the bones . It is worth reading for the historical detail and the fascinating thread of alchemy and witchcraft which runs through this and earlier novels by Philippa Gregory.

3.0 out of 5 stars A return to something like form for Philippa Gregory, 26 Sept. 2011
EleanorB - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Lady of the Rivers (Hardcover)
Having read the first two books in the Cousins' War Trilogy, and having been desperately disappointed by them both, I sent away for this one more in hope than anticipation. However, I was pleasantly surprised as this represents a return to something like form with a tale which is character driven, historically vibrant and slightly less focussed on magic, although that element remains.

Jacquetta's arrival on the world stage into the turmoil of Joan of Arc's short lived but successful career as a king maker, is extremely well done. Even in an age accustomed to almost daily brutality, the cruelty of Joan's trial and execution was acute and shocking to its witnesses, one of whom gruesomely is Jacquetta. Joan was judicially murdered by men who could not stomach her gender and her achievements. There is no doubt that the young Jacquetta, although high born and wealthy, will also be subject to male control. Swept up by the all powerful Duke of Bedford, for reasons other than lust, her odd first marriage and early widowhood give way to what seems, historically, to have been something of a medieval coup for a woman whose marriage was a matter of state policy - a love match with Richard Woodville, paid for with no more than a hefty fine. As the fruitful Lady Rivers, she soon finds herself back in the maelstrom of royal politics when she becomes lady in waiting to young Margaret of Anjou, bride of the fragile, inadequate and easily dominated King Henry VI. Margaret's need for love, for an heir and for support to keep her ailing husband on his throne, lead inexorably to the Wars of the Roses.

In between her multiple, and amazingly uncomplicated, pregnancies, Jacquetta's role provides her with a ringside seat in the turbulent theatre of war, conquest, triumph and disaster that ended with Edward of March claiming both the throne and J's eldest daughter, Elizabeth Woodville. Jacquetta and her family move even closer to the throne, as Elizabeth becomes The White Queen, future mother of the princes in the Tower.

Jacquetta's story is overdue for telling and this book has drawn a sympathetic portait of a powerful, but little known career in pre-Tudor politics.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 16 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Lady of the Rivers (Cousins War 3) (Paperback)
I used to love Philippa Gregory. Unfortunately everything she now publishes is rushed, poorly written and badly edited. Her readers aren't stupid - the dialogue is banal and clunky in some places as she spells out who is who through it. For example, "you know Richard, Duke of York is coming." Then two pages later, "Richard, Duke of York is here". Fine a couple of times, but this goes on through the whole book - surely by the end we know who is for York and who is for Lancaster. And I'm fairly sure the characters don't need reminding that their cousin or whoever is Duke or Earl of wherever.
I enjoyed the story though - Jacquetta's life is very interesting and it's nice reading fiction about a woman who's not 'over-done' eg. Anne Boleyn, Elizabeth I. I just keep wishing every time a new PG book comes out that she will have taken her time, not been pushed by the publishers to release it, and is not just writing by numbers. Unfortunately she is a long way from her earlier (excellent) novels such as Meridon, The Boleyn Inheritance, The Queen's Fool etc.
This isn't her worst (that prize definitely goes to 'The Other Queen' which I couldn't even finish. But by no means is it her best either.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the older novels but still good, 23 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Lady of the Rivers (Hardcover)
I am a self-confessed Philippa Gregory fan. It started after I saw "The Other Boleyn Girl" in Tesco one day. I was never really into Historical Fiction but something about the cover intrigued me. One weekend of reading and I was hooked so I have a lot to thank her for! I now pre-order all her novels in Hardback and even have a signed copy of a novel from when I attended one of her book tours. With this I am always going to be biased towards her novels.

That said, I do think this is a good book. Writing about women from pre-Tudor times means Philippa Gregory does have to fill in a lot of gaps and I got that feeling when reading the novel. The inclusion of Joan of Arc for example. Also the Melusina element and fortune telling gave the book a supernatural element but she has done this before in other books (most notably The Wise Woman) and I liked it. It is after all fiction.

If you have read her other novels in " The Cousin's War" then you will have already met Jacquetta, but I liked really getting to know her as a young woman. I found her story interesting. It wasn't a time in history I was familiar with but I found it easy to get to know the main characters and found myself understanding more of the events which took place later. It wasn't one of Philippa Gregory's best books but it wasn't the worst either (sorry The Other Queen). My main criticism is that given that this was book 3 in the series but took place earlier I would rather have read this before the first two, but that is just my preference for reading books in chronological order.

This is a good books for fans of the genre and is worth a read, but I don't think it would win over new fans the way some of her other novels have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this one first!, 16 Jun. 2012
Having read the White Queen and Red Queen in order they were released I was really looking forward to enjoying this. However at times my enjoyment is hampered due to the knowledge and foresight the White and Red Queen have provided, which is a shame and I feel it spoils it slightly.

My advice read this one and then The White Queen second, with regards to The Red Queen I could've quite easily have skipped it as it was disappointing and half the time regurgitating the story of The White Queen, but from an extremely religious view point from the House of Lancaster as opposed to the House of York presented from a romantic and enchanted view.

5.0 out of 5 stars Screenplay writers will be sharpening their pens, 27 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Lady of the Rivers (Hardcover)
Philippa Gregory brings the Wars of Roses dynamically to life, weaving her compelling and moving narrative through history.

The research is impeccable and engagingly rendered. The important trends are there, e.g., the English struggling to hold on to Calais while sliding into a disastrous internecine war fuelled, at least in part, by Margaret of Anjou's hatred for the Yorks. The dimly remembered set-pieces are gorgeously dusted off, e.g., Eleanor Cobham's trial and humiliating penance for witchcraft, Jack Cade's rebellion. The legends are there, e.g., Margaret of Anjou watching her Lancastrian faction lose the battle of Blore Heath from a church tower, Eleanor's spirit returning to Peel Castle as a black dog, Jacquetta's link with the mysterious matriarch of the Luxembourg line, the water goddess Melusine.

Multiple settings confer an epic dimension, starting in Luxembourg, then moving with the love story of Jacquetta and her soldiering eventual husband Richard Woodville (later Lord Rivers) between royal palaces of Westminster and Greenwich, Penshurst Place (estate of her first husband John Duke of Bedford - brother of Henry V), Grafton near Northampton (the Woodvilles' home), the English garrison at Calais and various battlefields including St Albans and Towton.

For those who can barely sort their Lancasters from their Yorks, the noble families are presented without dullness or confusion. Au contraire, the procession of aristos is unforgettable, the Earls of Salisbury and Warwick, Richard of York and his wife Cicely Neville, the Stanleys, the Woodvilles, the Greys, the Duke of Buckingham (Staffords), the Dukes of Somerset (Beauforts), and lesser-known ones like Lord Scales and Lord Say. It certainly had me scurrying to the Web on my second read.

I loved it. Greatest tribute is to say it has stirred my interest in the 15th century. And I think it's eminently filmable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not her best work, 5 Nov. 2011
Amazon Customer (stoke-on-trent, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lady of the Rivers (Hardcover)
When I began reading this novel it was with a sense on great anticipation as I had greatly enjoyed the first two books in this 'Cousins War' series. After only 40 pages or so however I could tell I was about to be sorely disappointed.

Whilst the attention to historical detail is, as always, superb Ms Gregory seems to have fallen into a trap of over dramatising the mystical/supernatural element of this book. I wanted to read good historical fiction, not a load of drivel about mystical water goddesses and alchemy.

I was very disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating woman!, 20 Aug. 2013
This was my favourite book of this series. I really love the way Phillippa Gregory makes the characters come alive on the page. I have loved reading the different points of view of all these historical characters and watching them on screen too. This book gave more of an incite into where the characters had come from and how some of them may have spent their earlier lives. I will be trying to find out more about this period in history now.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best of the three, 8 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Lady of the Rivers (Cousins War 3) (Paperback)
Of the three books in the cousins war trilogy I enjoyed this book the most. Jacquetta is is by far the most interesting and likeable of the three central women. Perhaps because Gregory was unrestricted by the scant knowledge we have of her life, she portraited a more rounded character who led oa extrodinary life, on the periphery of important events.
The problem I had with the use of the first person in the first two books (and therefore recounting of many important events at second hand) lends itself better to someone like Jacquetta who was a bystander to the main historical events; the Melusina myth is more skillfully interwoven as well.

I personally think this is the book Gregory wanted to write and the first two were to somehow get to that point. This book for me works better as a stand alone, although obviously linked to the White Queen.

The Lady of the Rivers (Cousins War 3)
The Lady of the Rivers (Cousins War 3) by Philippa Gregory (Paperback - 29 Mar. 2012)