1,284 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars It Truly Touched Me -- what can I say?
Published on 26 Mar. 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars An insightful tale of growing up
The Perks of being a Wallflower is one of those well known teenage fiction books, ones that are beloved by many and considered `modern day classics'. I'd wanted to read Perks for a long while and I was very excited when it was let, by a friend, to me to take on holiday.

Published on 23 April 2012 by Books Worth Remembering

5.0 out of 5 stars It Truly Touched Me -- what can I say?, 26 Mar. 2004
By A Customer
In this day and age when people are so cynical and cruel, it was a pleasure to read a book from the point of view of a genuinely nice person. Charlie is a "wallflower," meaning he stands back timidly watching others live life, afraid to participate. In the course of the novel, we watch Charlie grow: make friends, go to parties, participate, even fall in love -- in other words, come out of his shell. And by the end we discover why Charlie is unable to participate in life until now; we come to understand the source of his pain. I truly loved this book; and I don't care if other people put it down! The chapters are written in letter format, and the writing is smooth and unpretentious. This is definitely the best book I've read since THE LOSERS CLUB by Richard Perez. And I discovered both books on Amazon. Anyway, if you like genuinely beautiful people, I'm sure you'll love the protagonist of this novel. You may even shed a tear for Charlie...bottom line: you'll be moved!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully insightful, 15 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this, especially as in parts it's very insightful and I like all the little things he would point out, the little observations.

I wish the ending was a little less ambiguous though! I wonder what he was suffering from, and who he was writing to. (I suspect that's deliberate, though - he could be writing to anyone of us.)

He reminded me a little of Adrian Mole, in that he is a very innocent but very honest character, who notices all the little things and says all the unsaid. I liked when he talked about his family, or when he talked about good times with his friends. I could definitely relate to that, a moment feeling infinite, for example - he describes it far better than I ever could.

Quite an angsty read, but it's more than that - a very touching, heartfelt story that felt real and I could really relate to him. And a reminder to myself too, to try and "participate" more in life, to not be so shy and awkward and invisible. (I am more the listener than the do-er these days.) To remember to take risks and do what I like, even if it may upset others.

5.0 out of 5 stars What life's like from the sidelines.., 4 Dec. 2009
M. Glenfield (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Paperback)
When I first found The Perks of Being a Wallflower in my recommendations, I was entirely skeptical - a sex and drugs book about a male, who describes why he's so out of it all the time AND who is obsessed with the Rocky Horror Picture Show (which I had never heard of)? I had my reasons down to a point. And yet I still kept on coming back to look at the intriging cover and the reviews raving about it, a coming of age novel. So I decided what the heck, I can read it on my trip to Italy.
And now I can't seem to ever not be thinking about it.
It's not about sex and drugs, but about experimentation and living. Chbosky dives into the teenage mind with such clarity that at time's I thought he was reading my mind. Charlie's trauma and perspective on the people around him is so real and alive, that they make you think so hard.
It's an amazing book, I admit that. The simple vocabulary with the deepest meanings make it that much more extraordinary, and I loved reading the ending over and over again. It was sad to finish it, but hopefully I'll find more books to compare to this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love it, 27 May 2000
By A Customer
this book is my favourite book of all time. it touched me right to the soul because i related to it on so many levels. i would recommend this book to anyone to who is deep, who doesn't all think life is peachy and who is searching for something. i find sanctuary in this book every time i read it.

3.0 out of 5 stars An insightful tale of growing up, 23 April 2012
This review is from: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Paperback)

It was definitely unique, I loved the letter styled chapters and Charlie's narration was an endearing mixture of innocence, naivety but also wisdom beyond his years. I loved Charlie so much, he was one of those characters that you wish were real so you could have a conversation - I'd love to talk books with him!

Perks is quite a short book and I found I was able to read it all in one go (admittedly I was on a ten hour flight) because it was so compulsive. It is very much emotionally driven and tackles numerous topics - One example of this is when Charlie talks about time and how it passes, I really liked that and found it rather applicable at that moment considering I was on a long haul flight and wanting it to be over but time was going very slowly. Also I loved the big reveal at the end! (It was definitely a surprise to me)

I sometimes felt like it was lacking an end goal - you know how the main character always needs to do something or get somewhere, where you can tell why they are doing the things that they are - I felt that Perks was kind of a mystery. But then again that sort of reflects Charlie, he was muddling through high school trying to find himself and see where he fitted into this new group which he was now involved in. The one downside was that I found it hard to relate to the whole drugs and drinking scene, it's something I don't find particularly interesting to read, but I found I enjoyed seeing how Charlie fit into it (for like me it really wasn't what he was into)

One of those newer classic reads that I think any teenager can empathise and enjoy. I'd definitely recommend it to others and I have as since given it to my sister!

4.0 out of 5 stars touching coming-of-age, with a twist..., 24 Sept. 2010
Els De Clercq "EDC" (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Paperback)
There used to be a day when a coming-of-age story was almost synonymous with The Catcher in the Rye. Today, I've seen The Perks of Being a Wallflower, appear on many best coming-of-age lists. The similarities between the aforementioned classic are obvious: intelligent 15-year-old Charlie needs to discover himself and the world around him during his freshman year at high school.
Even though Charlie is an introverted person - a wallflower - he's by no means unpopular at his high school and he soon has a firm set of dedicated friends, most importantly Patrick - the not so closet gay - and his stepsister Sam, who Charlie has a not so secret crush on. At the same time Charlie faces all of the high school dilemmas that any average teenager encounters: sex, drugs, weird family relationships, the Rocky Horror Picture Show and the seemingly endless search for "being infinite". Charlie's intelligence is also noticed by the almost obligatory observant teacher (Bill, in this case) who gives Charlie extra reading material (a.o. The Catcher in the Rye).

However, this novel clearly sets itself apart from the long tradition of coming-of-age stories, because Charlie really isn't your average 15-year-old. Although it is never explicitly mentioned in the book, you can clearly read that Charlie not only suffers from a past that has been haunting him, he's also clearly autistic, which adds to the awkwardness of the writing style. In this case, I don't mean bad awkward, just different awkward. The book is written as an epistolary novel (and by the way, there's a lot of crying in the book, girls, boys, men...), with Charlie writing to an anonymous `dear friend', so the language used throughout is clearly Charlie's language: strange, awkward, unconventional but always honest.

Chbosky has really created a character with a completely unique mindset, but he also succeeds in giving that character a voice and sustains that voice until the end of the novel. Stephen Chbosky hasn't written The Catcher in the Rye again, but he has succeeded in writing an honest, heartfelt story and it will be interesting to see how he will handle the movie script that he's apparently writing himself (please not another Dead Poets Society!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Touching, 26 Feb. 2011
Ms. L. J. Braisby "leigh" (Doncaster, South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Paperback)
This is probably the most poignant book I've ever read.
'Dear Friend...' starts this beautiful coming of age story of Charlie, written in a series of "Letters" to an undisclosed person, in which Charlie confides his life and emotions. At first, Charlie is a socially awkward, naive wallflower that evidently becomes more adult and aware of the world around him as the book goes on, families grow and friendships are made! Charlie comes to have a very close circle of friends who are pretty much like his own little Family, and you'll see in the book every friendship he has he personalises and makes simply beautiful in his own unique little way. As in everyday life, these Friends along with Charlies Family have ups and downs which will make you laugh, cry, and want to keep turning those pages until the very end! This is probably the most popular Wallflower you'd ever meet!
I love this story, it's a very "Indie" book which is so enjoyable I read it in about a day, which for me is goshdarn quick! It's very simply written, and written so well that Charlies vocabulary and the way he views things become more extensive with age, and very subtley which I feel for a writer must be a hard thing to do. An absolute treasure that is an essential for any book lover!
'Love Always, Charlie'

5.0 out of 5 stars honest and refreshing, 15 April 2011
I bought The Perks of Being a Wallflower yesterday and it was such a page turner that i finished the book in one sitting. I loved the diary style of writing, natural and direct to the point. Most things weren't being described in overly long details. Emotion's packed punches because they weren't hiding behind fancy words, the simplicity of this book made it easy for me to understand and at times sympathise with Charlie and seeing a little bit of myself in his character, even.
Some parts in the book such as when Charlie and his friends drove through the tunnel and feeling infinite listening to the right song were some of the best parts, I think those moments really summed up the book; what it felt like to be young, feeling and taking in everything around you.
I didn't find Charlie's character naive because i caught on quite early anyway that he was a bit different. Maybe because of my family and how i was brought up, some of the things he found out when he was 15, i too, didn't know about them till i was 15 - 16.
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is now one of my favourite books, I guess im a little bit like Charlie in this way. His favourite books are always the last one he read. (but im certain that this book will stand the test of time with me)

4.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT... BUT GOES A BIT WEIRD AT THE END, 6 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Paperback)
I loved loved loved this book. I am thirteen and the content matter might have been considered slightly unsuitable, further emphasized by the fact that the narrative depicts these events starkly and honestly, telling you pretty much everything about his life! I like the idea that each chapter is a 'letter' to a stranger who doesn't actually know Charlie; it makes you feel as if you're the stranger, depicting the reader almost as an additional character in the book. The child-like quality to Charlie revisits the old idea of a 'coming-of-age tale' by making it seem as if a child is seeing his adolescent actions; it makes you wonder how a different version of yourself, someone naive, afraid, lost, hopelessly young, would react to your 'teenage years'. Everything in the novel seems real, honest, and despite the fact that it wasn't written recently, the words have an almost timeless quality to them. The character is relatively easy to relate to until the last main event, which, although it explains a lot about Charlie's mindset, seems unrealistic and unnecessary.
'The Perks Of Being A Wallflower' is definitely worth a read, despite the somewhat bizarre conclusion, although I wouldn't recommend this for young people you are easily creeped-out! : )

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, Engrossing, MANY MANY TEARS! "Courtesy of Flare Reviews", 19 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Paperback)
It is a rare treat to find a book that once it is finished, you want to pick it up and read it all over again. For me, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is exactly that.

Telling the story of Charlie through a series of letters over the course of a school year, Perks is a beautiful story of growing up. As Charlie, a wallflower (one who sits back and doesn't participate), starts high school he doesn't have any friends after his one and only friend Michael killed himself.

That is until he meets Sam and Patrick who teach him how to live and love.

I cannot even begin to describe how much this book touched my heart. Page by page I was brought deeper into Charlie's life and the lives of these people around him. I felt such a deep connection with Charlie, some of his experiences and feelings in life mirroring my own as I was his age and, to an extent, even now.

The true beauty in this book is the discovery of self and the discovery of why Charlie is the way he is, why he can't participate. It's fascinating and engrossing and prompted so many tears that it took a while for me to get over it. The writing is simple and the voice so clear that Charlie became very real to me. Wonderful.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Paperback - 2 Feb. 2009)