1,144 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars It Truly Touched Me -- what can I say?
Published on 26 Mar 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars An insightful tale of growing up
The Perks of being a Wallflower is one of those well known teenage fiction books, ones that are beloved by many and considered `modern day classics'. I'd wanted to read Perks for a long while and I was very excited when it was let, by a friend, to me to take on holiday.

It was definitely unique, I loved the letter styled chapters and Charlie's narration was an...
Published on 23 April 2012 by Books Worth Remembering

5.0 out of 5 stars It Truly Touched Me -- what can I say?, 26 Mar 2004
By A Customer
In this day and age when people are so cynical and cruel, it was a pleasure to read a book from the point of view of a genuinely nice person. Charlie is a "wallflower," meaning he stands back timidly watching others live life, afraid to participate. In the course of the novel, we watch Charlie grow: make friends, go to parties, participate, even fall in love -- in other words, come out of his shell. And by the end we discover why Charlie is unable to participate in life until now; we come to understand the source of his pain. I truly loved this book; and I don't care if other people put it down! The chapters are written in letter format, and the writing is smooth and unpretentious. This is definitely the best book I've read since THE LOSERS CLUB by Richard Perez. And I discovered both books on Amazon. Anyway, if you like genuinely beautiful people, I'm sure you'll love the protagonist of this novel. You may even shed a tear for Charlie...bottom line: you'll be moved!

5.0 out of 5 stars i love it, 27 May 2000
By A Customer
this book is my favourite book of all time. it touched me right to the soul because i related to it on so many levels. i would recommend this book to anyone to who is deep, who doesn't all think life is peachy and who is searching for something. i find sanctuary in this book every time i read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars my favourite book- couldn't put it down and i assure you you won't!, 25 Feb 2012
M. A. Hepworth "aprilgracee" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Paperback)
THIS BOOK. I read it a couple of months back in preparation for the film (admittedly because I knew Emma Watson was going to be in the film) with no real idea of the story or anything, just a few good reviews and a pretty cover. But when I read it I was blown away. The depth of the characters, especially Charlie are amazing and he's so quirky and different. The story is so interesting too, with no boring bits at all, even though it might just be seen as another one of those books about a teenage kid at high school... it's really not. Before I read the book I never understood how people could say "This book changed my life" but it really has, it's given me a whole new perspective on things, a new love for poetry (the suicide not poem is absolutely stunning) and a new music playlist too (One Winter).
I actually read this all in one night because I didn't want to wait and have to put it down.
I'm even re-reading it, am I'm never one to re-read a book because I find it so boring, but I can't say it is because I keep finding new things in it that I couldn't see before.
If you're only on the fence about reading this book please please just do it, I promise you won't regret it.
Thank you Charlie.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perks of being a Wallflower, 21 Jun 2007
Review of The Perks of being a Wallflower"

The book "The perks of being a Wallflower" is about Charlie, a young teenager who is a very shy boy and who lost his only friend because he committed suicide.

At highshool he meets new friends who are Sam and Pat-rick.

From this moment on he goes to many parties.

And he gets in to trouble with drugs and his past.

The book is written in letter form to an unknown person who never writes back.

I think the author Stephen Chbosky wanted to make clear that everybody has to live his own life.

It is a very interesting book because you understand what is going on with the person. I had to read the book in my English class and I think it was a very good idea to do this.

I would recommend the book to people through all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Paperback)
I read the entire book in two days, that's how good this book is! This book was recommended to me by someone, and now it's my time to repay and recommend it to someone else. If you're reading this review and wondering if you should get the book, then go get it! It's amazing! you'll love it. especially if you were a misfit in your teenage years,

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 8 May 1999
By A Customer
What a surprise ending. This book will mean something to everyone who went to high school. The writing was inspiring, and so unique. Who was Charlie writing to? Not knowing this made it so much easier to read, we knew that his words were not holding back, but Charlie put his heart out into what he wrote. This was an amazing book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift for anyone who loves books, 18 Mar 2009
Ms. K. Russell "-- Kayleia" (Grantham, Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
I find this book so captivating and wonderful, I have bought several copies for my friends and annotated them so they can truly understand what it means to me & what parts I think they will love.

Perks of Being a Wallflower tells the story of Charlie, a boy who is more comfortable sitting and watching life unfold around him rather than taking part. However, he meets some friends, experiences some rites of passage and learns more about him, his family & his friends.

If you're trying to get a teenager into reading, or if you're really into books about growing up, this is for you. Beautifully written and despite it being about a teenage boy & his coming of age, it doesn't ramble & moan on. Even in the low parts you can't help but feel uplifted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, 29 Jan 2014
A beautiful book that you must read before watching the film, different from any book I've read before, absolutely beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Paperback)
"We accept the love we think we deserve".

Great book, great writing, great message. Came on time in excellent condition. Happy customer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tear to my eye, 13 Sep 2013
Start of the book was a little confusing. However when you get in to it it's such a good read and even brought a tear to my eye.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Paperback - 2 Feb 2009)
5.59