1,194 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars It Truly Touched Me -- what can I say?
Published on 26 Mar 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment..
I had heard great things about this book and was aware that it had been adapted into a film, so thought I would read the book rather than watching the film to get a true sense of the story and the characters. The book is focused around Charlie, his family and close circle of friends and the trials and tribulations of high school and adolescence in the USA. Like many...
Published 3 days ago by Charlotte

5.0 out of 5 stars It Truly Touched Me -- what can I say?, 26 Mar 2004
By A Customer
In this day and age when people are so cynical and cruel, it was a pleasure to read a book from the point of view of a genuinely nice person. Charlie is a "wallflower," meaning he stands back timidly watching others live life, afraid to participate. In the course of the novel, we watch Charlie grow: make friends, go to parties, participate, even fall in love -- in other words, come out of his shell. And by the end we discover why Charlie is unable to participate in life until now; we come to understand the source of his pain. I truly loved this book; and I don't care if other people put it down! The chapters are written in letter format, and the writing is smooth and unpretentious. This is definitely the best book I've read since THE LOSERS CLUB by Richard Perez. And I discovered both books on Amazon. Anyway, if you like genuinely beautiful people, I'm sure you'll love the protagonist of this novel. You may even shed a tear for Charlie...bottom line: you'll be moved!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully insightful, 15 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this, especially as in parts it's very insightful and I like all the little things he would point out, the little observations.

I wish the ending was a little less ambiguous though! I wonder what he was suffering from, and who he was writing to. (I suspect that's deliberate, though - he could be writing to anyone of us.)

He reminded me a little of Adrian Mole, in that he is a very innocent but very honest character, who notices all the little things and says all the unsaid. I liked when he talked about his family, or when he talked about good times with his friends. I could definitely relate to that, a moment feeling infinite, for example - he describes it far better than I ever could.

Quite an angsty read, but it's more than that - a very touching, heartfelt story that felt real and I could really relate to him. And a reminder to myself too, to try and "participate" more in life, to not be so shy and awkward and invisible. (I am more the listener than the do-er these days.) To remember to take risks and do what I like, even if it may upset others.

5.0 out of 5 stars What life's like from the sidelines.., 4 Dec 2009
M. Glenfield (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Paperback)
When I first found The Perks of Being a Wallflower in my recommendations, I was entirely skeptical - a sex and drugs book about a male, who describes why he's so out of it all the time AND who is obsessed with the Rocky Horror Picture Show (which I had never heard of)? I had my reasons down to a point. And yet I still kept on coming back to look at the intriging cover and the reviews raving about it, a coming of age novel. So I decided what the heck, I can read it on my trip to Italy.
And now I can't seem to ever not be thinking about it.
It's not about sex and drugs, but about experimentation and living. Chbosky dives into the teenage mind with such clarity that at time's I thought he was reading my mind. Charlie's trauma and perspective on the people around him is so real and alive, that they make you think so hard.
It's an amazing book, I admit that. The simple vocabulary with the deepest meanings make it that much more extraordinary, and I loved reading the ending over and over again. It was sad to finish it, but hopefully I'll find more books to compare to this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love it, 27 May 2000
By A Customer
this book is my favourite book of all time. it touched me right to the soul because i related to it on so many levels. i would recommend this book to anyone to who is deep, who doesn't all think life is peachy and who is searching for something. i find sanctuary in this book every time i read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars my favourite book- couldn't put it down and i assure you you won't!, 25 Feb 2012
M. A. Hepworth "aprilgracee" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Paperback)
THIS BOOK. I read it a couple of months back in preparation for the film (admittedly because I knew Emma Watson was going to be in the film) with no real idea of the story or anything, just a few good reviews and a pretty cover. But when I read it I was blown away. The depth of the characters, especially Charlie are amazing and he's so quirky and different. The story is so interesting too, with no boring bits at all, even though it might just be seen as another one of those books about a teenage kid at high school... it's really not. Before I read the book I never understood how people could say "This book changed my life" but it really has, it's given me a whole new perspective on things, a new love for poetry (the suicide not poem is absolutely stunning) and a new music playlist too (One Winter).
I actually read this all in one night because I didn't want to wait and have to put it down.
I'm even re-reading it, am I'm never one to re-read a book because I find it so boring, but I can't say it is because I keep finding new things in it that I couldn't see before.
If you're only on the fence about reading this book please please just do it, I promise you won't regret it.
Thank you Charlie.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Paperback)
I read the entire book in two days, that's how good this book is! This book was recommended to me by someone, and now it's my time to repay and recommend it to someone else. If you're reading this review and wondering if you should get the book, then go get it! It's amazing! you'll love it. especially if you were a misfit in your teenage years,

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 8 May 1999
By A Customer
What a surprise ending. This book will mean something to everyone who went to high school. The writing was inspiring, and so unique. Who was Charlie writing to? Not knowing this made it so much easier to read, we knew that his words were not holding back, but Charlie put his heart out into what he wrote. This was an amazing book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift for anyone who loves books, 18 Mar 2009
Ms. K. Russell "-- Kayleia" (Grantham, Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
I find this book so captivating and wonderful, I have bought several copies for my friends and annotated them so they can truly understand what it means to me & what parts I think they will love.

Perks of Being a Wallflower tells the story of Charlie, a boy who is more comfortable sitting and watching life unfold around him rather than taking part. However, he meets some friends, experiences some rites of passage and learns more about him, his family & his friends.

If you're trying to get a teenager into reading, or if you're really into books about growing up, this is for you. Beautifully written and despite it being about a teenage boy & his coming of age, it doesn't ramble & moan on. Even in the low parts you can't help but feel uplifted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, 29 Jan 2014
A beautiful book that you must read before watching the film, different from any book I've read before, absolutely beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Paperback)
"We accept the love we think we deserve".

Great book, great writing, great message. Came on time in excellent condition. Happy customer.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Paperback - 2 Feb 2009)