Format: PaperbackChange

on 25 March 2008
I bought this book in the States over Christmas and enjoyed it. Mark Levine the owner of Sprite (and Pepsi) tells the story well, but some people might find it a bit banal as it is a warts and all story and pulls no punches. It is a nice read but it's not roses round the door stuff. I would recommend it anyone who has a dog or loves reading about dogs. It won't be to everyone's taste. Rescuing Sprite was written for a reason: Sprite came from a dog rescue shelter as company for Pepsi and they had a great time together, Mark Levine wrote the book to raise money for dog shelters and wants highlight the good these people do and ask people considering wanting a dog to give dogs from shelters a chance.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
"Rescuing Sprite" another brilliant book for the dog lover, in fact any animal lover. An absolute joy and a story that really touches the soul. If only us humans could be as stoic,as brave and as loving as our canine friends. A book that once read will not be forgotten.
on 26 November 2007
This book tells the heartfelt story of the author's dog Sprite. The story begins for Levin when his family rescues Sprite from a shelter. Then goes on to tell about how he almost gave up his law practice and radio show after the death of Sprite. The loss of a beloved pet is a devastating experience. I'm sure other pet owners will relate to having had similar feelings after the loss of their pet. Levin not only tells about the grief he has suffered, but he also does a great job of connecting the vast joys that a pet can bring into your life. I recommend this for all animal lovers.
I also recommend the great philosophy book Understanding: Train of Thought.
on 4 August 2009
There had always been a dog in Mark Levin's life. Married with children he decides it's time for his own family to have a dog. They get a puppy they name Pepsi. When Pepsi is about 6 years, Mark's wife decides that it's time for Pepsi to have a companion dog. They are told their new dog is 3-6 years old, but already at first sight Mark realises that this dog is way older. Pepsi and Sprite get along great.

Sprite has only been with them for a few weeks when he collapses on the floor in a seizure. Mark rushes him to the vet, the first of many such visits for Sprite. The poor guy has artritis and more severe disease as well. All they can do for him is love him and take care of him as best they can. Sprite's condition deteriorates yet he never loses his love of life. He never gives up, despite becoming sicker. His bad days grow more numerous but he still has good days and the family puts on hold the thoughts about euthanasia. Until they realise that they can no longer defend keeping him, his life is too close to suffering. It'd be cruel.

After the death of Sprite the family, and especially Mark and Pepsi, grieve. Pepsi loses some of his zest.

This is a true story and a very touching one. Any pet lover will recognise the anguish of watching their beloved pet getting older, wondering when the time is right to do something about it, as well as the terrible grief that follows. We've all been there, there's no worse feeling in the world.

I recommend this book for any zoophile, especially dog lovers. But be prepared to cry. I did.

I only have a few problems with this title:
1. In chapter 1 Mark Levin writes about how his dog is part of his past and future, an important part of his life. "Goldfish, turtles and hamsters are pets. Dogs are family." Why do so many dog owners need to look down on other pets? I've had my share of pets, and I can assure you that the ones you really get in touch with are all equally loved, special and part of the family, no matter what species they are. You can just as easily find your best friend in a turtle, cat, horse, rodent or otherwise. In fact, one of the pets I had the best contact with was a guinea pig.

2. Why wasn't their son allowed to be with Sprite on that terrible day? I had never gone to school knowing that my 'little brother' wouldn't be there when I got home. I would've stayed with him and spent those last moments together.

3. They lied to their daughter about Sprite so that she wouldn't grieve alone. I had not been okay with that. I would've wanted to know either way.

4. How on Earth could the family go on vacation knowing that Sprite had only weeks or months left? In my family no one would even consider going away on holiday leaving such a sick animal behind. No one would've had any interest in it, no joy at all. We'd all just wish to spend that time with our beloved one. Tropical paradises will still be there afterwards.

These are the reasons I'm only giving this one 4 stars.
on 10 February 2010
I wasnt sure about this book when I bought it, I thought it might be silly. Im an animal lover but no doggy fan. I started it late one evening and I couldnt put it down, I was wizzing through it. What an entertaining little book, nothing silly about this one. Lots of doggy stuff of course and lots of happy family life stuff as well,down to earth reading and pictures too. Anyone like myself whos spent time in the states will enjoy the bits on places of interest. A must for family reading from young to old, I would even give this to my little grandson when hes older.Im certainly a doggy book fan now.If you buy this book remember the tissues.
on 17 September 2009
this is a very moving story, i read the book in two nights i couldn't put it down i would recommend it to any dog lover, but make sure you have plenty of tissures at hand, it gets very sad when it comes to the end of sprite life, i also take my hat off to mark lavin for donating some of the proceds of this book to the the dog shelters and rescue groups, they say time is a great healer, and yes it is but you never forget.
on 18 February 2011
I have read so many other dog books, marley and me, a friend like henry, oogy etc and I enjoyed them all but I didn't enjoy rescuing sprite at all. I did read the whole thing but the style in which it was written was very deep and depressing. I actually got the feeling that the author thought an awful lot of himself. I wouldn't really recommend it...
on 14 January 2013
Great book that makes you realise that a dog that has ended up in kennels,that won't win prizes for looks and most likely won't get give you years and years of companionship is still worth taking into your life for a short time it has left only to touch your heart forever.
on 10 October 2013
If you've ever lost a dog, then this story warms your heart. I found it sweet and lovely to read. I have lost a few dogs in my past due to old age or illness, but they are never truly gone as it is put in the book. A must read for dog lovers.
on 16 April 2011
What an emotional story this is, told very well. This book will bring tears to all but the most cynical of people.