5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant
Published on 28 Aug. 2008 by JM

3.0 out of 5 stars Good concept, failed by sloppy continuity
The book started out well, and was a good read until the concentration camp scenario. Even this was okayish, although anyone who has read true biographical tales of these camps would find this part a bit 'twee', despite some attempt to put in some gruesome torture by Mengels. The plot lost it for me when Alice, supposedly not letting on about her English roots, was hiding...
Published on 24 Oct. 2006 by Mrs. F. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 28 Aug. 2008
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Roots of Evil (Paperback)
This is the second book I have read by Sarah Rayne and I would just like to say that she has now become my new favourite author. I absolutely loved this book. It is totally engrossing, from the modern plotline with the hilariously prim Edmund to the wonderful tales of the past. I love the fact that Sarah Rayne writes these thrillers but there's a touch of humour in there as well. I didn't want to put it down at all. Fantastic.
The only problem with reading such a great book is that everything else falls flat afterwards, though I can't wait to read her others.

4.0 out of 5 stars ROOTS OF EVIL., 26 April 2013
This review is from: Roots of Evil (Paperback)
By no means the easiest of reads, Roots Of Evil is definitely a contender for the most confusing and possibly frustrating book I have ever read.

Flitting back and forth between present day England and 'cousins' Lucy and Edmund, 1920's Vienna and the 'birth' of the enigmatic Lucretia von Wolff, and the concentration camp of Auschwitz was difficult enough but even more confusing was that the whole novel reminded me of a jigsaw puzzle that slowly, piece by piece, is seemingly coming together to reveal the whole picture until you realise several pieces seem to be missing.

Intriguing rather then enjoyable, one of those books I feel I shouldn't have liked and yet did. Dark and yet sinister in a somewhat understated kind of way, at times, gruesomely graphic, it read like a Gothic horror novel. At others like the worst kind of 'slasher' novel though, oddly enough, with echoes of Shakespeare's King Lear.

Without a doubt a very different read and one well worth persevering with (thank goodness all of the pieces did eventually come together even if it was sometimes hundreds of pages later) despite all of the largely implausible twists and turns of the plot and fairly stereotypical characters.

Copyright: Petty Witter @ Pen and Paper.

Roots of Evil

5.0 out of 5 stars DARK AND MYSTERIOUS AND DRAMATIC. AN AMAZING TALE!, 2 Jun. 2006
R. Evans "riotgrrrlrachel" (sheffield, england.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roots of Evil (Paperback)
I have just finished reading ROOTS OF EVIL and felt compeld to let others know just what an amazing and intreaging story it is.

I was utterly mezmerised and fasinated at this twisty and whinding plot that seemlessly goes back and forth in time from a present day horrificly gory murder, to the concert halls of 1920,s Vienna and then to the concentration camps of Auschwitz.

After reading Roots of evil i can visualize every person in the cast perfectly and although the tale is compleatly far fetched it is not far fetched enough to compleatly dismiss that some thing like this could really have happend. I can not write about ROOTS of Evil without a mention to the undoudted star in this whole bizzar story, and that is the Baroness Lucritia Von Wolff, the most amazing charaterization i have ever encounted.

This beautifuly crafted plot was part gothic horror, part murder mystery, part romance and part adventure. Madness, scandal, family skeletons, "ghost children", country houses, double identity, historcal reality and Drama, Drama, Drama is waiting for the readers inside these pages. Some bits of the story made me squirm so much with horror that i had to put it down for a second, other parts were exstreamly sad, and other parts gliteringly romantic. The story just builds and builds in to a dazzleing web until you can not rest until you know the whole truth. Every thing that you read on the pages was so well crafted that it came to life as though you were whatching a film , and what a film this story would make.

This is no ordinary murder story and it certainly does not have your typical thriller caracters, it is without any doubt the most complex and exciting novel i have read. Illusions feature stronly in this story line and at times the whole plot is so convicing and vivid you almost think the fianl twist could be that it isn,t actully a work of fiction and that every thing really did happen.

I have read Tower of Silence also by Sarah Rayne and i thouht that was excellent, Roots of Evil was her third book and i am now looing falward to reading her second novel that looks to be just as promising. i can not praise this book highly enough and i am sure that any one with a panchant fot the bizzare and slightly macarbe will be just as delighted with it. Breathtaking .......a truly remarkable illusion is created, the story is an inspiration to the drama queen in us all!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Psychological Thriller, 15 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Roots of Evil (Kindle Edition)
I very much enjoy Sarah Rayne books and have read a good many. She is particularly good at weaving the past with the present and producing a psychological thriller. This book is no exception and I enjoyed it very much.
Everything you could want from a thriller is in here - changing between the past & present, intrigue, psychological drama, ghosts, scandal, some celebrity and some rather intense moments including concentration camp scenes which were almost horrific & certainly very moving.
A discovery of a dead body behind some disused studios starts of a chain of events where Lucy Trent starts to discover her family's past is not quite what she thought. As the intricate plot unravels pieces come together to produce a picture which is far from that which the reader could have imagined. My attention was gripped & this was a late night read as I rushed to see what happened.
Another excellent psychological thriller from this author which I struggled to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sarah Rayne at her best, 22 April 2009
Ms. Victoria Harvey (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roots of Evil (Paperback)
Sarah Rayne is my most recent and much find. What an amazing author. She writes with such clarity that gets you involved with each individual character and brings them vividly to life. I especially enjoy how Sarah brings history into her books and every book I read I learn a little more from the past.
A root of Evil is a tale about families dark past and present that unreels through the memories of an old lady. This book has plenty of twist and turns and has you hooked from the start to the very last pages and does keep you guessing. I even shed a tear at the end!

4.0 out of 5 stars gripping, 27 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Roots of Evil (Paperback)
About the third of her books I have read, most are excellent. This one had a gripping story, pulled you in and , as with her other novels, a byline, a story from the past, in this case 1940s Germany , the horrors of concentration camps, warning very explicit bit intertwined carefully into the story.

I have looked for her books in Waterstones after a chance find on Amazon, in recommended for you , but do not appear to have them so in this case recommended did work out well

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 26 Jun. 2008
Helen Witts (Notts UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roots of Evil (Paperback)
Bought this book on impulse in a cheap bookstore and it was marked down to £2. Didn't have time to go to one of the big bookshops in town and I can't be without something to read!
What a book!
Could not put it down from the first page. I din't see any of the twists and turns coming.Totally compelling - dont miss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Ol Sarah, 11 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Roots of Evil (Paperback)
Another scorcher by Sarah Raynew! Great psycho author however she does tend to flit between past and present in her books and I know some people find this frustrating, but her books are high pace and will keep you hooked from cover to cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars ADMITTEDLY A LOT OF `COINCIDENCES` AND `HARD TO BELIEVE` BITS.., 4 July 2008
This review is from: Roots of Evil (Paperback)
and a part of me really did want to rip this book to bits and scream -
` THIS COULD NEVER HAPPEN IN A MILLION YEARS - DO YOU THINK WE`RE STUPID ??? !!!` - but it was just so enjoyable and the twists and turns kept me riveted right up to the end ! I thoroughly enjoyed this book even though a lot of it was the most ridiculous make-believe i`ve read in a long time. It was......let`s say `different` - and i will certainly be reading more of sarah rayne. ( Well come on - it`s just a novel - not like she`s trying to pass it off as a true story is it..? )

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly gripping story, 18 Sept. 2006
Mrs. Andrea Morrison "princess-andie" (Paisley, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roots of Evil (Paperback)
Although this book is nearly 600 pages long, I read it in one day. I simply couldn't put it down!!! The author just keeps hitting the reader with one surprise after another, and keeps the intrigue going with hints and crumbs throughout the whole book. There are parts that are shocking and parts that are truly heart-breaking. However, overall, it is a great story, and I intend to read her other two books in the hope that they are as good as this one.

Roots of Evil
Roots of Evil by Sarah Rayne (Paperback - 28 Feb. 2008)