Format: PaperbackChange

on 19 June 2009
If you are looking for a book to interfere with all the housework you have to do this weekend, do yourself a favour - curl up and enjoy A Spring Affair and I am sure it will leave you with a feel good factor. However, pick any one of her books and you are sure not to be disappointed. I was lucky enough to be recommended the Yorkshire Pudding Club when I was pregnant myself. I love Milly Johnson's style of writing. I have raced through all 3 of her books and there is just one problem with them all - she is just not writing the next one quick enough!
on 20 July 2009
I had never read any of Milly Johnsons books before but this was the only light reading I could find on a holiday to Scotland (we were staying in quite a small place). From the minute I opened it I was absolutely hooked and couldnt put it down till it was finished. It is a very easy read and the characters draw you in from the beginning. I do have to warn you that time flies whilst reading this book!!
I really liked this book as unlike most romances it isnt all about the main character finding a man to sort out her problems, she does it herself, goes for her dreams and finds love at the same time. I love the way Milly Johnson writes from all of the main characters points of view so you get to understand a little why people do what they do (even if its not something you would necessarily agree with them doing). She has an amazing way of making you sympathise with people even when you arent that fond of them.
I liked this book so much I bought The Birds and Bees as soon as I got home.
on 28 April 2009
Milly Johnson's first two novels were great but this one is FANTASTIC! I tried not to read it too quickly, because I didn't want it to end, but I just couldn't help myself. This is so much more than a great story - anybody suffering bullying of any kind would do well to read this book. As Lou declutters her home and relationships, she regains her former confidence and strengths - it's inspirational. I found my own "Tom Broom" some while back, but it didn't stop me clearing out my cupboards! Well done Milly - please write some more!!
on 23 November 2009
I purchased this book based on the previous reviews submitted on Amazon. Thanks to them, I enjoyed a lovely Sunday curled up with my dogs reading this book. I enjoyed it so much that I finished it at 2am the next morning because I could not put it down! Lou Winter reminded me of a of a Shirley Valentine type character; a woman who has lost herself somewhere along the line, in Lou's case she has been ground down by the aftermath of her husband's affairs. Her husband is a ghastly man and has a real hold over Lou due to the erosion of her self confidence. Because of her lost her self-esteem, desperate to hold on to him, she has been treated like a doormat by her family especially her vile sister, husband and Mother. How she rediscovers herself after her "spring clean" is magical. I really liked Lou as a character; the book shows how often we can become ground down by "life" without really questioning why. I think this book will strike a chord with many women as there are so many pressures on them; to look good, have children, be good wives, working etc. Her relationship with her Mother is particularly poignant; in her Mother's affections she has always felt second best to her younger sister which I felt set the tone for her relationship with Phil. The death of her Father also, understandably, has had a major impact on her too. Lou is a lovely, selfless character; the sort of person who you would like as your friend. and I really rooted for her throughout the book. Her reclaiming of her "mojo" is like a chain reaction once she clears out the clutter in her life, albeit materialistically and emotionally. I won't spoil the ending but she gets all she wishes for. Additonally, Tom Broome was also a fantastic character.

A lovely, cosy book to escape into; with warm characters and an excellent plot. But be warned..make sure you have plenty of time to read it as you won't want to put it down!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I loved Lou Winter from the first chapter. At work she shows she is a force to be reckoned with but at home she is apparently auditioning for a part in the latest remake of The Stepford Wives'. But things are about to change. She picks up a magazine containing an article about de-cluttering your life and the effect it can have on you and starts to put the advice into practice.

Soon she is keeping the local skip hire firm - owned by hunky Tom Broom - in business and the home she shares with husband Phil is starting to look vaguely minimalist. Those around her such as her mother and sister, her clingy friend Michelle and even Phil are about to be startled out of their safe comfortable relationships with good old dependable Lou. Lou has buried ambitions which she is seriously considering resurrecting. Will Phil - used to home cooking and a spotless house - realise what is happening before it is too late?

I loved this book. It is well written and the dialogue is sparky as are the characters - even the horrible ones. Every reader will know someone like Phil or Michelle or the two Susans. It is a great comfort read and has that something indefinable which all good women's fiction has. I recommend it if you want a 'feel good' read.
on 1 April 2009
Lou Winter used to be a dynamic, fun-loving woman, but since her marriage, life has dragged her down. She's surrounded by people who take advantage of her: her unfaithful husband Phil, her mother, her sister, her friend and at work her office is controlled by a bully of the worst kind. But everything changes when Lou decides to start spring cleaning her life. She meets the gorgeous Tom Broom and his adorable dog Clooney, and the more she declutters, the more she realises what's really important in life - who her real friends are, and why it's important to follow your dreams. I won't give away the plot, but this is a lovely, sweet, funny and clever story with a brilliant, feel-good ending. I've loved all of Milly Johnson's books, but this is the best yet. It's the perfect read for summer.
on 5 May 2010
It was written in a multi viewpoint which I found a little difficult to follow at times. But the characters were very well drawn, and the story was simple yet left a lasting impression on me.

Sounds daft, but I thought the book was better than the "chicklit" cover suggested.

I bought this book for 20p at a car boot sale, and will now join the Milly Johnson fan club and buy the rest of her books (at a *proper*) bookstore this time!

Louise Wise author of Eden
on 30 October 2009
I really loved this book - I enjoyed every page, following the transformation of the main made me think about who might be manipulating me in my life as well! Plus it even made me think about clearing out my cupboards....
on 1 August 2009
Milly Johnson's new books come every spring and it isn't enough.

As a long time inhabitant of God's own county, I love books set in Yorkshire and I love romances. Milly satisfies me on both counts with her funny and fabulous stories set in Barnsley, which should be twinned with Venice [I'm sure there's a canal there somewhere] as the romantic capital of the North of England.

A great story with real, and down to earth folk, making mistakes and falling in love. She creates great villains and brilliant heroines. If I weren't gay, I would seek her hand in marriage...
VINE VOICEon 29 October 2013
I recently went to the Ryedale book fair to see Milly giving a talk about chick lit. She's always been a favourite author but it only made me admire her more. Anyway, this was the only book I had missing from my collection, so I got a signed copy. I eagerly got stuck into it when I got home.

The story follows Lou, who reads a spring cleaning article in a magazine and this kick starts her into cleaning out her life. I don't want to give too much away but I was totally rooting for Lou - she was a brilliant character.

Milly said at her talk that while her books deal with serious issues, you know that there will be a happy ending which is true here but I loved the journey! Milly also said I'd be reaching for the bin liners and I have spring cleaned my own house, despite the fact it's Winter!

This is the first book in the seasons collection (A Spring Affair, A Summer Fling, An Autumn Crush and A Winter Flame). I've read a winter flame but I can't wait to get stuck into the others.