5.0 out of 5 stars Not Your "Run" of the Mill Running Book

-would like to be able to run well into your old age
-would like to improve your running form and have fewer injuries
-would like to have a more philosophical approach to your running
-would like to increase your overall health

Here's how the book roughly pans out:...
Published on 26 Sep 2008 by graham78

-would like to be able to run well into your old age
-would like to improve your running form and have fewer injuries
-would like to have a more philosophical approach to your running
-would like to increase your overall health

Here's how the book roughly pans out:

-Chapter 1: compares power running to ChiRunning
-Chapter 2: goes into the 5 principles upon which TaiChi and ChiRunning are based
-Chapter 3: gets into the "inner" skills of ChiRunning

As you can see, the first 3 chapters lay out the philosopical foundation- that's so when you get to the specific techniques, they make sense.

Chaper 4: learn about the ChiRunning "focuses"- which are the specific physical and mental methods used to run more efficiently.

Chapters 5-9: covers program development, peak performance training and diet. Note: Chapter 7 also covers some info on common injuries such as muscle cramps, plantar fasciitis (also rec. The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution for more info on this), heel cord problems.

Chapter 10: how to incorporate the ChiRunning principles into your everyday life

As you can tell, ChiRunning, with its mind-body approach, is far from your typical book on running- and shouldn't be missed by any serious runner. Happy trails.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Revolutionary, but Interesting, 27 Aug 2011
Jeff Hodgson (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chirunning: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running (Paperback)
I purchased this book out of interest for a holiday read, rather than to learn a new way of running. I have been running for over 20 years and could relate to many of the things that Danny highlights in his book. There are some good tips and pointers for people new to the running game - for example the use of your arms, focussing your mind whilst running and how to run hills, but I got a little distracted by his constant references to Chi and his way of holistic living. If you are an experienced club runner, you will probably learn very little from this book that you don't already know; however, if you are taking up running after a long break, or constantly suffer with running injuries then I suggest that this may be an interesting book for you to read. That said, do not take everything that he says too literally as what works for Danny may not necessary work for you. In sum, an interesting take on what works for Danny in his holistic world of Chi. A light read rather than a complete reference/study book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 July 2011
Prior to reading this book I was having a lot of aches, pains and stiffness in my lower legs. Since adopting the form explained in this book my legs feel really good both during and after a run. The focuses that are used I have also found really useful to keep my mind in the positive. This in itself makes running easier as it stops the mind drifting into thinking about little twinges while running that get worse purely because I'm thinking about them. Highly recommended and not an expensive book so what is there to lose?

3.0 out of 5 stars good points/ bad points..., 23 May 2009
numpty (Great britain) - See all my reviews
I initially thought this book/technique was great; but the more I learned about running the shallower it became...

GOOD POINTS-
1.high cadence, low impact, 'balanced' running
(reasonably well covered, but not exactly rocket science)
2. general stuff on diet, stretching, bio-mechanics
3.Shear joy and delight of running through nature (Good!)

BAD POINTS-
1.trying to force all shapes and sizes to run in exactly the same style
2.his tedious 'can do' life story and anecdotes! (all a bit happy clappy)
3.tendency to stray into mystical pseudo science

CONCLUSION-
I too get a sort of 'spiritual high' running through nature, which this book reflects the mood of pretty well. I have tho since read far more instructive books on bio-mechanics and Heart-rate monitor training. So a decent 'mood piece' for a new runner if you want to come from that angle, but ultimately not a lot of depth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Have to admit this works, 5 Feb 2009
Stuart Durrant (Berkshire England) - See all my reviews
I'll admit I'm sceptical by nature. I bought this knowing a fair bit about tai chi and martial arts but nothing about running. The style of the first three chapters are a bit cheesy New Age/American - but essentially I know what he is getting at.

The technique discussed is excellent - I was amazed at my improvement. I was able to cover longer distances without even getting out of breath. I am sure I haven't mastered it all yet but I genuinely improved my running after taking on the basics. Surpisingly highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended book, 6 July 2006
Torben Breindahl (Denmark) - See all my reviews
I read many books about running and this is the first I have encountered that seriously discusses running posture / style and the biomechanics of running from a practical viewpoint. Don't be scared by the title "Chi Running" - there is nothing supernatural about these techniques - in fact it is as natural as it can be! However, we need to re-learn HOW to run (like we did when we were kids!) - in an effortless way, free of injuries. Danny Dreyer guides you through a system where you use the core (and core muscles) in a more effective way through a forward body lean. The idea of effective body movement through the use of core muscles is also found in Terry Laughlin: "Total immersion" - a guide on swimming.

I won't go into more detail here - I will leave that to the author of "Chi Running"!

The book is filled with additional information on running, but the instruction on the running posture is what makes it so special and worth studying. I try to put the instructions into practise, step by step, and I feel it's working. My speed has improved and I am much more aware of keeping a proper technique through the races, which makes running long distances more enjoyable.

The instructor in my gym (professional sport instructor) borrowed the book and started running again after a long break - now he is free from previous injuries that prevented him from running.

For those of us who don't have a Chi-running instructor nearby, the video instruction is necessary. It should be included with the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has helped my running technique greatly., 28 May 2013
Chi Running has helped greatly to re focus my running. I used to go for a run more as a chore as I thought I needed to be healthy and fit. Now I aim more for focused technique and feeling more body and mind which in return makes me fit and more focused in general. Nicely written. Clear to understand. I would like a DVD to get some visuals of some of the techniques mentioned. Thanks for writing the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chi running, 14 Jun 2012
For anyone who enjoys running but has regular injuries this book is well worth the money. I used to run alot until about 5 years ago when I temporarily gave up due to regular shin splints and cronic knee pain. After getting into biking instead, I returned to running in sept 2011 to train for a half ironman in july2012. Quickly the old pains returned in the knees and a new persistent calf injury.
However I had got back the old love of running and didn't want to have to quit again. I then came across chi running and barefoot running. I bought this book and 'barefoot running step by step' by barefoot ken bob.

I can honestly say that these two books (which incidentally cross over very well) have been fantastic. They both advocate a running style which involves forefoot and midfoot landing rather than the more traditional heel striking I've always done. The first 4-5 chapters of this book holds all the info you need (apart from a interesting piece on steep hill running further on in the book). Unfortunately I think the rest of the book is just unnecessary filler. However, I couldn't have asked for a better result as my calf has healed and my knee pains pretty much immediately disappeared. The change in technique is huge and takes some time to adjust and I believe using this in conjunction with the more bent knee approach used in barefoot running makes for trouble free running. Definitely worth the 4.50 I paid... Hope you find it as useful as I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars how to make running easier..., 14 Sep 2011
a bit of a big claim - "making running easier", but this book will do just that if you apply and practice what it preaches. i originally purchased this book because my knees were killing me when i ran. after practicing this methodolgy for a week or so my knees stopped hurting and i began to look forward to running. a very easy read and easy to implement...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 10 Sep 2011
Got this book as a gift but I do like a book to read about running when I'm not doing it. I love combining principles such as balance and flow (which I do in various gym classes) with my outdoor love of running, and this book, whilst not making me attend official 'chi running' courses (there are more in the US than UK), I did apply the principles in the way that I approached running, and I do think that there's a lot of valuable pieces of advice in there. Its the kind of book you'd want to read, then read again in a few months and get something different from it every time!

Chirunning: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running