5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant read!
I must disagree with other reviews of this book and say i was hooked from the minute i picked it up.
Christopher told everything exactly how it was, even down to how he still feels about eunice.
Being of the same age as him and living not too far away,
Published on 30 April 2008 by Ms. L. L. Lovegrove

3.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing but not particularly well written
Before people criticise me for not raving about this book I should add that the content was totally horrifying and made me cry on more than one occasion. The reason was simply that the treatment of these children was so appalling, so outrageously cruel and so evil that anyone not moved must have a heart of stone. As a parent myself I found Eunice Spry's behaviour deeply...
Published on 10 Oct 2008 by mark68068

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant read!, 30 April 2008
Being of the same age as him and living not too far away,
i found myself thinking of what i was doing at times when christopher reflected on his past, and i must say this boy suffered immensely but doesnt seem to have let it spill into his adult life,
i hope where ever eunice spry is, she has read this book and finally felt some remorse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truth hurts, 25 Jun 2008
Pamela Dowling (Gloucester) - See all my reviews
This is a 'must have' book. When JK Rowling wrote the Harry Potters series, you could witness the pain as she battled with depression. At times it was difficult to read those books because the dark side was coming out. In this book, Child C, there is a similarity, which is even more touching as this is not a made up story. Eunice Spry tricked the authorities for years, she persecuted her children and made mockery of the vocation of motherhood. The consequences of her actions will ripple forward in the lives of all those who know and have heard this sorry tale. Christopher (the author) has written his story in an easy to read fashion which makes digesting the difficult material easier at times. It won't put you off your food, but it will open your eyes. Too often we are unaffected by life's turmoils, books like this open up the world to us and hopefully make us all a little bit more aware. I am looking forward to reading his next book which will detail how his life has moved on since Eunice was sent to prison, I am sure that will be an even more heart moving account.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Evil !, 27 Sep 2008
Ms. P. Banks "Pam" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Child C: Surviving a Foster Mother's Reign of Terror (Paperback)
I read about this case in the newspapers , so when I saw this book being advertised, I knew I had to buy it and see if the foster mother, was as evil as they made out.
And yes she is, my only dissapointment was that she only got 14 years in prison. She should have been hung !!! pity the death sentance is no longer used !
Good Luck to Chris, Karen and Lulu in whatever you do. x

5.0 out of 5 stars How on earth could this have happened???, 14 May 2008
I feel compelled to write a review of this book. I recieved it yesterday and had read its entirety in just a few hours, couldn't put it down. Page after page just gripped me with horror and sadness at the life this poor young guy was made to live at the hands of this evil, evil woman. Eunice Spry apparently smiled that day as she was led away from the court to start her 14 year sentence to pay for the abuse and trauma she put these 3 innocent children through almost every day up until their 'rescue/escape' Is this what religion can do to some people?? Was she just plain evil? Did it stem from a fateful childhood of her own? We shall never truly know what drove this woman to hurt these kids so viciously as she denies it anyway. To Chris, you are a very VERY brave and strong person for not only enduring the relentless torture, but also for standing up against Eunice in court. It upset me to read that you didn't really feel you should be doing this to her, but she NEEDS to be punished for what she did to you and your foster sisters. I wish you all the very best of luck in coming to terms with your horrendous past and making a happy life for yourself and the people around you.
Personally, I believe prison is too good for people like Eunice Spry. Prison is where she will recieve substantial meals EVERY DAY (No starvation punishments), she will have a clean comfortable bed every night. There will be no bleach or sticks or tcp or excrement being forced into HER mouth...and there will be officers there 99% of the time for her protection from other inmates. Did these 3 children get ANYTHING like that from the person that was left in charge to care for them? She won't have to worry about baked bean cans or tuna cans being thrown at her, or cricket bats whacked against her legs or chair legs beating her feet. She will have NONE of this...they got it all. They were innocent...she was found guilty of horrendous abuse...yet who's being punished?? Social services may have a hard job to do, and i appreciate that, but just reading Chris' book, and also his foster sister's book "Deliver Me From Evil", you can't blame anybody from thinking somebody wasn't doing their job. There were signs that trained people that had contact with the family should have spotted a mile off. And let's not forget how recent this was...this wasn't back in the 60's & 70's when things seemed to be 'acceptable' or just swept under the carpet. Has everybody forgotten about little Ricky Nieve???

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional page-turner, 11 April 2008
I remember the story of Eunice Spry in the news, so picked this up hoping to go `behind the headlines'. I wasn't disappointed. This is the story of the world's most horrifically, dysfunctional family, ruled by Eunice, a mixture of religious zealot and evil tyrant. The pain she inflicts on the children, and especially on the narrator, is horrific, and I won't repeat any of it here. But what is incredible is that Christopher has survived to tell the tale with heart and even humour (I loved his `lists') making this a page-turning, occasionally tear-jerking read. Good luck, Christopher, if you're reading this, you certainly deserve it.

5.0 out of 5 stars People should hang their heads in shame, 6 April 2009
A lot of people should hang their heads in shame at this, how could this in this day and age be allowed to happen! this wasnt in the 60's or 70's this was only very recent. Social services had 12 enquiries into the welfare of the children but because no one was jumping up and down they declined to intervene even though there were still officially in their care from the foster arrangements!.

I know i will get shot down for this but i think Christophers parents have a lot to answer for no matter how young/ill/vunerable you are if you were determined about being a parent then you would make sure your child was safe - they were still a two parent family as well they had each other for support. I suppose it was just easier for them to carry on with their own lives than it was to try and get to see their own children? The children were only fostered by Eunice Spry not adopted the natural parents had every right to see them. I know people will say that they didnt know how to approach Eunice etc but then if she was that slippery why on earth would you let her near your own children!!!

Also this was recent Social Services should have kept the parents in touch with the children and tried to arrange contact this never happened either which makes me think there are things the reader doesnt know. In all i think Christopher is a remarkable individual to even be functioning at a rational human level i think this kind of trauma would be enough to send most people into a permament depression, yet he is working and managing to get his life together which is a great big poke in the eye for that spiteful witch Eunice. I hope she never gets released from prison.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking, 12 Jan 2009
Contrary to some other readers, I actually found this book to be extremely well written, and particularly taking into account Christopher's youth and total lack of formal education, I paused to wonder if it had been written on his behalf at times.

It is shocking to discover how attached a child can be to an abuser, and I wish young Christopher all the very best in his future.

Definitely a worthwhile purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars An insight into pure madness., 15 Mar 2009
Ms. S. Mckenna (Swindon, UK.) - See all my reviews
I have recently finished this book and I have to say, even though it does give the reader a first hand view of child abuse it is disappointing when you discover there are things which Christopher Spry does not want to reveal. I couldn't help but feel slightly cheated. That may sound very abnoxious because here we have a young man who has gone through a terrible ordeal. However, I found myself thinking 'if you are going to hide things that were done to you by Eurnice Spry then don't say; there's things that I can not talk about.' I believe that if he was not going to tell the reader some elements of the abuse he suffered...then he should not have highlighted this fact. I believe this is a crucial part to review on as I did actually find myself getting quite annoyed as he mentioned this twice. Other than that niggling point I cannot fault the read as I found I could not put it down. It is an area of the world that I could not, and still can not understand and I believe I never will as a mother myself. He gives you his story in a 'face value' kind of style that really works. I would recommend this to everyone who does not turn there nose up at stories of abuse when it is on the news. Curiousity didn't kill the cat...it helped him to understand the world in a different light.

5.0 out of 5 stars not for the squeamish, 30 Jun 2009
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I remember this case and in particular, I remember Eunice's face in the news so I felt compelled to read this story.

However, this story is not for the squeamish, it is appalling in that a human being can actually inflict such harm on children. I think that she needs to be institutionalised for life, she is evil personified.

I actually like the style in which the book has been written although other reviewers have criticised it. I really got the feeling that Christopher was telling me his story straight from his lips, sadly, that made the content of the book only too real.

I can't believe that the horrific abuse went on undetected for so long or that she was only given 14 years.

One reviewer criticisd the book for leaving parts of the abuse out but I think that the views of the author should be respected. He needed us (the readers) to know that what he wrote about was possibly not the worst or only type of abuse he and his siblings suffered but is unable to talk about it. He is still overcoming his ordeal and coming to terms with what he has gone through, I think it is acceptable to not wish to face certain acts.

A good read but not for the feint hearted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking Glimpse into Survival, 6 Jan 2013
From the very first page, I was hooked on Christopher Spry's story of survival. The physical scars are bad enough, but the emotional scars are worse. It's amazing this young man even survived to adulthood. In so many aspects Christopher should be dead - ingesting toxic cleaning fluids, starved, being dragged by a car and then just the many blows to his head. His foster mother was pure evil as she hid behind her religious views. As hard as a book like this is to read - sometimes it's necessary so that maybe somewhere else another child in the same situation might be saved. Perhaps social workers will do their jobs more efficiently and people will pay closer heed to the warning signs that are often overlooked. As hard as it seemed for Christopher to share his story, I can only hope that his future will be brighter as he makes peace with his demons. A highly recommend read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Child C: Surviving a Foster Mother's Reign of Terror
Child C: Surviving a Foster Mother's Reign of Terror by Christopher Spry (Paperback - 4 Aug 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01