Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 February 2013
One Man and his Dig - Valentine Low **

I have held an allotment for over 15 years and after the dismal winter I fancied reading a book that would get me into the mood to dust off my wellys and get back out into the fresh air. With this in mind I purchased One Man and his Dig.

To be honest I found the whole book a disappointment. The author seems to go off on various ego trips about his plot and family that the reader (or at least myself) couldn't really give a care about. At times (particularly at the beginning or the book) I found his attitude condescending and was not surprised to find out that he was a journalist for a broadsheet newspaper.

Anyone looking to read this book and also learn a few golden snippets of advice will be left wishing they had made an alternative purchase. Although there are a few facts there, the majority of them are not proven and often found to not be beneficial at all.

Maybe I didn't enjoy this book because I am not all that new to the allotment way of life, and it is more suited to someone who has just received a plot and are looking to follow another novices trials.

Other reviewers have loved this book so I am sure that I am in the minority, maybe the anecdotes fly over my head, I'm not sure.

The books saving grace for me was the well written history of the allotment movement and the strange and various rules that can be found throughout history and over the country.

I would recommend reading "Digger's Diary: Tales from the Allotment by Victor Osbourne" if you are a fan of allotment tales.
on 4 September 2008
I have had an allotment for 2 years and still learn something new everyday.I found this book to be a bit of a slow starter but once it got going it really did make me laugh out loud.You share the ups and Downs, success and disasters with the author as you read,described in great detail.It was a book i couldn't put down,i thoroughly enjoyed reading it,The recipes in it are great too and they really do taste as good as he made out.A must have for the book shelf.
on 15 April 2009
I have had an allotment for a year now and love it. My daughter gave me this book for Xmas. What fun it is. The tales of his fellow allotmenteers, the one liners,the advice that we get from the experienced,how to bodge this and that,battles with the allotment bods, etc. etc. The book is fun from start to finish. But is also full of useful information.
A fun and informative read.
on 19 May 2008
I've just taken on an allotment and chanced across this book...and I devoured it in one sitting. It's a wise and witty account of the author's cultivation of his London allotment, together with a light sprinkling of the history of allotments. Highly recommended - and the book is now doing the rounds on my allotment site.
on 1 December 2013
I am what is known as as allotment novice. Valentine has lead me down an easily and amusing path of my own disbelief and turned me around with infinite hope for the future of my sweet plot. I would recommend this book to any person who has recently committed themselves to this world of new beginnings. A lovely read from a man that knows his onions.
on 8 December 2009
Whether you have an allotment, are thinking of getting one, or just want a good read, this book should be on your list.
It is very well written, so easy to read; it's also amusing and informative. Hard to believe, if you do not have an allotment, that a book on this subject can be so entertaining. Highly recommended.
on 21 October 2013
Just got an allotment and wanted a gentle read about peoples experiences . This book did not disapoint, humour, advice and light reading . I would say a must if you are looking at getting an allotment
on 29 April 2009
Very good written in a quirky and easy to follow style, not quite what I was expecting but a nice relaxed informative way of writing. I have really enjoyed reading it.
on 25 February 2013
great book for all types of gardeners. you read about problems you have or will come across. witty and down to earth book, recommended
on 31 December 2012
Excellent book for anyone who has an allotment. Well written and once you start, you wont stop. Good read on a winters night.