5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written!!!
Published on 14 April 2010 by P.Vad

3.0 out of 5 stars Very readable but not as good as the Big Stone Gap series
Published on 2 Mar 2010 by Bookish

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Very readable but not as good as the Big Stone Gap series, 2 Mar 2010
Bookish (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Very Valentine (Paperback)
One of the interesting and original things about this book is that one of the primary characters is a 79 year old career woman. Teodora was one of my favourite characters and I would love to read a book about her earlier life. There are also a number of humorous moments - I particularly liked Valentine's Dad. This is an enjoyable and well written story - my only major complaint is the endless detailed descriptions of what people are wearing(other than shoes.)Personally I was more interested in the plot and the characters and all the description got in the way of this.I loved the Big Stone Gap series and unfortunately this one is not quite as good. Saying that I do look forward to seeing how the story continues in the next installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written!!!, 14 April 2010
This review is from: Very Valentine (Paperback)
When you read books like Very Valentine, you compare them to other light hearted romance books and you can tell this is no ordinary book. I found the authors descriptons like little visions of art, I almost forgot about the story and got lost in the words, Adriana is very talented and the way she writes is beautiful. I can relate to the main character and as I love italy so much I was engrossed in the book. Would recommend to anyone with a passion for creativity!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars great read, 30 Mar 2010
J. willey - See all my reviews
This review is from: Very Valentine (Paperback)
This again was a great read,Having read all the Trigiani books I was not dissapointed at all.I ccould smell the leather of all the shoes and really felt I was in Italy.Looking forward to the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars uplifting read, 9 July 2009
A. Stewart (ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Very Valentine (Paperback)
Good read. Just read there on holiday in Italy.Have read all her books and would recommend it: a little of everything: romance, culture etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Addictive!, 27 May 2009
This review is from: Very Valentine (Hardcover)
Very Valentine is about Valentine Roncalli, a 33 going on 34 year old single woman living in NY. After abandoning a long term boyfriend and career as a teacher, she decided to move in with her grandmother and help run the family custom shoe making business (open since 1902!). The store creates custom fit, beautiful shoes of pure Italian materials for brides. Although they sell easily, the business doesn't bring in enough money and, ultimately, Gram and Valentine must decide what to do. During this, Valentine meets Roman, a tall, dark, and handsome divorced Italian chef. While she tries to figure out her business problems, things start to prosper with Roman.

The book takes you from the streets of Greenwich Village to the mountains in Tuscany, Italy. As you, the reader, learn about tailored shoes and Italian meals, you watch Valentine discover herself through mistakes, drive, and, ultimately, passion. And along the way you keep up with, and care about, her ragtag, very large Italian family. You saw the family from two angles, the side they show the public, and the private side only those close know about. I liked the contrast.

Admittedly, it took me a few pages to get into the book, but once I got to know Valentine, I was hooked. Her family was so lifelike, they felt like my own (and I do have a large, loud, Italian family). Her problems were so relatable, I wanted to discuss them with her. And her trip to Italy was so amazing, I wanted to be there with her.

The book, the first in a trilogy, was overall very entertaining. There are some loose ends, but there should be, because without them there would be no sequel. It's a quick, fun read that isn't simply chick lit nor romance. It delves into deeper levels and I think, in the end, that's why I enjoyed it so much. Trigiani has a way with describing people and places so well that it's like you've been there, or know them. It made me really miss Italy. And even New York.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very looking forward to the sequel.... (3.5 stars), 2 Aug 2010
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Very Valentine (Paperback)
I adore Trigiani's novels but for some reason this took me a little longer to get into than I usually do with her books. I think the first few chapters were a little slow actually, but by the time I was a third of the way into it I was eager to read more about American-Italian shoe designer Valentine, her wacky family and her love life.

The premise of the book is pretty simple but effective: Valentine is a partner in her grandmother's customised wedding shoe business, which isn't exactly booming. Cue this with further financial troubles, family illnesses and the invitation to customise the perfect wedding shoe with the promise of saving the business-- and Valentine most certainly has her work cut out for her. Intermingled with this is romance with a hunky chef and the trip of a lifetime to beautiful Capri, but will things work out?

A must-read for fans of Trigiani and anyone who is a sucker for a good romance, though admittedly I was left a bit disappointed by the ending, which is why I've deducted half a star! Nevertheless though, the ending most certainly paves the way to the sequel, of which I am looking forward to reading. I always think Trigiani's books will make fantastic films and this is no exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars As heartwarming as a big bowl of pasta., 4 May 2009
This review is from: Very Valentine (Paperback)
A new book from Adriana Trigiani - what a great treat for a Bank Holiday weekend! It's not often that I will put everything aside to read a book over 2 days but I'm so glad I did.

Readers of previous books by Adriana Trigiani will not be disappointed. It has the same warmth and beautifully crafted characters as Rococo and Lucia Lucia.

This is the first of a trilogy about a New York Italian/American family and tells the story of Valentine the unmarried sister who is apprenticed to her grandmother's family shoe business. Romance, laughter, tears, travel, food and shoes. Heaven!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointed, 20 Jun 2009
Kay Sumpner "Kay" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Very Valentine (Paperback)
Another great read from Ms Trigiani. For me, this was one of those books that you never want to end (along with The Wedding Officer and The Various Flavours of Coffee) . It was a delight from start to finish. I respected Valentine and her decisions regarding the men in her life (although I do think she may have missed a trick with Gianluca - I'd have snapped him up!). The characters are well written, allowing you to feel as if you really know them. I hope that this is not the last we hear of Valentine. A great summer read and if you have never read any AT books before, then have a look at the Big Stone Gap series. A delight - and four books! Enough to last even the rainiest of summer holidays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Very Valentine (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoy Adriana's books, very entertaining, and love reading it on my new Kindle Paperwhite, I would defintely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent story, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Very Valentine (Kindle Edition)
Having previously read "The shoemakers wife" Very Valentine was the perfect follow up. I did not wane to put it down, my bedyime got later & later. I have now read "Encore Valentine and it was another great story to follow Ever Valentine.I'm sur there will be a further story from Adriana Trigiani to follow. I can't wait.
A truly superb pair of books,

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Very Valentine
Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani (Paperback - 4 Feb 2010)
5.59