5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must-read
Published on 8 Mar 2009 by Ms. R. Tinniswood

3.0 out of 5 stars Guilty Pleasure!
I am not a usual chick-lit reader, but I wanted something different and tried out this book. I must say, I loved it! Its got all the right elements: the bumbling, clumsy heroine, the irresistible hero, witty banter, cheeky girlfriends, spoilt-but-good-at-heart children, and an ending that leaves one dreamy and giggling. I would definitely recommend this for anyone looking...
Published on 27 Aug 2012 by Aakriti Mathur

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must-read, 8 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Nearly-Weds (Paperback)
The second book from talented writer Jane Costello, The Newly-Weds is witty, sexy, and completely unputdownable. Escapism at its best, the characters are so real you'll want to hang out with the heroine and run off with the drop-dead gorgeous hero. This author is definately the cream of the chick-lit crop, but be careful - once you start reading this you'll do anything not to put it down. (I nearly willingly missed my stop on the train just so I didn't have to stop reading a particularly gripping bit)! Let's hope we don't have to wait long for the third read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read!, 7 April 2009
L. L. Sutton "lynda6263" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Nearly-Weds (Paperback)
Jane Costello has really hit the nail on the head with this one! It's a great Chick flick and summer read.
the opening to the story is great - Zoe is ditched at her own wedding, put's on weight, gets depressed then deciedes to leave the doom and gloom of everyone talking about her.. and takes a job in Hope Falls.
The story captures your imagination straight away - the way the character Ryan is discribed (sexy) the way the kids behave - it really gets you involved in the story.

Honeslty this is going to be one of the best summer reads! You won't want to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars loving this author, 23 Mar 2009
Sian Louise (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Nearly-Weds (Paperback)
I really enjoyed Bridesmaids by this author so when I saw this one half price in WHSmith's a couple of weeks ago I just couldn't resist it.

This one in my opinion was actually better than Bridesmaids. I really liked the main characters Zoe and Ryan and actually think they were very well written and realistic. The small group of "British" nannies that were her friends was really good as well, is nice to read about people that are really friends and not pretending to be friends. There were some extremely funny parts to this as well....at one point when I was reading at lunch time, I had to face the desk cos I was trying hard not to laugh out loud.

This is complete chick lit though so if you're not into this genre then you probably wouldn't like this.

I will definately be reading more from this author in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Nearly-Weds, 6 Jun 2010
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Nearly-Weds (Paperback)
On the day of her wedding the last thing Zoe Miller expects is to be stood up, but that's exactly what her boyfriend Jason does. Unable to cope with everyone's sympathy and questions Zoe flees to America to be a nanny to a rich family. On arriving in New York, however, Zoe is told she will instead be heading to Boston to nanny R. Miller's two children, Ruby and Samuel. Zoe thinks R. Miller is a woman but he turns out to be a widowed husband named Ryan. The children love Zoe immediately but Ryan takes longer for Zoe to crack. What will happen, though, when Zoe's past catches up with her?

It's told entirely from Zoe's point-of-view and Zoe is an immensely enjoyable character. Zoe reminded me of Paige Toon's female characters; being funny and ultimately quite clumsy. The writing is also similar to Paige's - it's simple to get into and has very funny moments interspersed with more serious moments. For example, Zoe shoots Ryan in the eye with a toy bow and arrow (hilarious!) but a few pages later, Samuel has a bit of an incident which was quite scary! Jane's writing captured me immediately and I was hooked, the book really was easy to follow and I just couldn't wait to get through it to see what happened with Zoe and the Millers.

I thought Zoe was the perfect character to carry the story. She was witty but she was also human. She acknowledged her flaws which made her much more likeable. She seemed happy in her own skin and I just loved her. I thought Ryan and the kids were also great. Ryan came across a bit moody and distant but after a while he began to thaw and we saw who Ryan really was. Ruby and Samuel were great child characters. I love reading about children in books particualrly when they are written so well as Ruby and Samuel were. For me, the best part of the book was reading of Zoe and Ryan's changing relationship. Jane did that fantastically well and I had no idea what would happen next with those two. It was like being on a very enjoyable, but very topsy-turvy, rollercoaster.

I also loved the inclusion of Zoe's British nanny-friends: Trudie, Amber and Felicity. They made quite a group. Trudie was by far the most involved and I thought she was brilliant. She also had hidden depths which surprised me. Amber amused me with all of her strange ways, I have to say. We're meant to think something is up with Felicity and I admit I had an inkling of what it was. The only other main characters were Jason, of course!, whom I disliked and Zoe's parents whom I loved. I could feel why Zoe's mum Helen was worried about her as any parent would. I also hoped that whatever it was that was wrong with Helen wasn't anything serious.

The book is an incredibly easy read, with short, snappy chapters which move the book along well. There's hardly a chapter goes by without something stupid/funny happening. I loved that Jane decided to set the book in Boston rather than New York or LA as most authors do. I probably would have liked a few more descriptions of Boston itself though, but since Zoe was there to be a nanny it's to be expected she wouldn't venture too far away from the Miller household.

I thought it was an incredibly enjoyable read. Yes, some might say predictable especially with what happens in the last 30 or so pages of the book but I was fine with it, and knew that ultimately Zoe would make the right decision! Sometimes predictability is a good thing and the fact is Jane writes so well it's easy to forget how predictable it may or may not be. This is well worth a read as it's immensely enjoyable. I just wish I had Bridesmaids so I could start it right now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent chick lit, 16 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Nearly-Weds (Paperback)
I really loved this book and read it extremely quickly. I generally like most chick-lit but I don't often fall in love with that sort of book.
The story centres around Zoe and begins shortly after she has been left at the altar by her fiance, Jason. She decides to leave her job as a nursery nurse and become a nanny in America. She ends up working for a completely gorgeous single father (Ryan) with 2 children, who hasn't managed to keep hold of a nanny for longer than a couple of weeks in the past.
The books takes you through Zoe's attempts to tame the young children and crack through Ryan's tough and extremely grumpy exterior while she makes friends with the other British nannies in the area. As the story moves along, we find out more about what happened on Zoe's wedding day and her relationship with her fiance before that. It's often funny and very absorbing to read. I enjoyed the way that Zoe's feelings were so clear- still in love with Jason despite his betrayal but also trying to manage inappropriate lustful thoughts about Ryan. I also liked her personality as a character- very down-to-earth and although she had the same sort of insecurities that we all do, she was very strong-willed too. Ryan manages to be very appealing despite his gruff exterior, but then I am a bit of a sucker for "grumpy but gorgeous" men! The minor characters also had interesting storylines and were more than just extra bodies lurking around the plot. There's a certian amount of predictability to the conclusion of any of this sort of book but Jane Costello managed to inject surprises here and there throughout the plot.
I loved reading it and I would recommend it to anyone. I will definitely look out for more of Jane Costello's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly weds is a must have for the holiday!!, 29 July 2009
L. Carvill - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Nearly-Weds (Paperback)
Fab Fab Fab what more can i say! started reading this whilist on holiday and finished within 2 days was so gripped. It will have you laughing out loud, crying and hoping. A few twists and turns to keep you on egde. This is a superbly written book for all holiday makers! The Nearly-Weds

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put this down!, 8 July 2009
Zoe Thompson - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Nearly-Weds (Paperback)
This has to be one of the best stories Ive read for a while - I got so involved in the story, the character Zoe is fantastic and you really get attached to her! You can kind of work out what is going to happen but to be honest it doesn't ruin the story at all and I enjoyed it immensely - big thumbs up from me! I have recommended this book to all my girlfriends!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!! Kinsella kills again!!, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Nearly-Weds (Paperback)
Such a good book!! So impressed, took on holiday with me and it's a fab girly holiday read. Brilliant for by the pool or on a beach! Loved it!! Gripped after the first chapter!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Nearly-Weds (Kindle Edition)
Hilarious and poignant ! If you like Sophie kinsellas books you'll love this ! A lovely relaxing read for holiday!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!!, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Nearly-Weds (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant read, I couldn't put this book down, the characters in this book are easy to relate to, . Would highly recommend reading x

The Nearly-Weds
The Nearly-Weds by Jane Costello (Paperback - 2 Mar 2009)
5.59