Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 December 2009
My wife ribbed me about reading this book because she classified it as 'chick lit'. It probably is but so what? I will read most everything - so long as it's in English!

The story is about Evie and her friends from Uni who are now being bridesmaids at friends and relatives weddings. We follow Evie, who has had no serious boyfriends and has always broken off relationships for trivial offences, as she goes through this eventful year.

While this book was never going to make the Booker long list it still remains a humorous and very enjoyable book. With it's short chapters and easy writing style, it holds your attention and amuses you with simple wit and makes the experience a most pleasant read.

I would recommend this book to anyone that wants a read that is not hard work but is humorous and fun. While it would probably appeal to women most there is nothing in there that turns men off. Give it a go!
on 19 May 2008
The first book by a wonderful author. I found this book absolutly hilarious, not only the actions of our heroine but the way she was written and the sence of humor she was given. If you love a good wedding you'll love this book, a real girly, by-the-sea read. So make sure you pick up a copy for you hols!!!
on 18 December 2008
I thought this book was a hilarious - I loved the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella and was looking for something similar. I literally had tears running down my face on the train home yesterday - appeals to my sense of humour. Very easy to read and the very small chapters mean you just can't put it down - highly recommended :-)
on 5 July 2008
Just finished reading this book and it was absolutely fabulous took me 2 days to finish. I would highly recommend this to everyone!
It made me laugh in places and also brought a tear to my eye ( but i am probably a one off when it comes to the crying part I cry at anything)!!!
Can't wait for her next book but I will have to because it doesn't come out until next year!
After reading a lot of crime novels lately I fancied a break from reading about people murdering each other so opted for this book. It is a typical example of chick lit, fluffy, light hearted, predictable storyline, but also I think it's better than average in that the author is a very witty writer, lots of things in it made me laugh. Non taxing and light, very funny, better than most other chick lit writers out there at the moment, it certainly hit the spot with me. Good debut.
on 12 October 2014
This novel had a lot of potential but very meagre delivery, sadly. Its strap line is "Four Weddings without the Funeral" but actually having a funeral might have been a good idea - as it would have inserted some much-needed gravitas into the general veneer of fluff.

I think one of the main problems is I really didn't like the heroine, Evie, who's obsessed with appearances, not terribly bright and acts like a 12-year old most of the time. She's supposed to be 27.

The big motif of the book and the thing that's supposed to make it excitingly different is the fact that Evie has never been in love or been in a relationship of more than a few weeks, and wonders if she ever will. I'm sorry?? That's a key issue when one is 27 years old?? Hey ho, you can see what I mean about Evie's low intelligence rating …

Anyway, when she does finally meet Jack, who turns out to be The Man, it's really not much of a relationship and actually I found it both dull and unbelievable. Jack could very well do better. The cliched ending and the culmination of their 'love story' is teeth-grindingly bad and I groaned and skipped over it. There's also a friend Charlotte whose sole characteristic is that she's overweight, another friend Valentina, who is obsessed with money and appearances (but at least, unlike Evie, she's honest about it), and a couple of other friends whom I could never confidently differentiate between. Oh and the chapters are ridiculously short - so short that there are 121 of them, plus an epilogue! Lordy.

The only good parts of this book are Evie's wonderful mother who is a delight, and the very funny scene in the disco with the vibrator. That's it, really.

Verdict: 2 stars. Shallow nonsense.
on 15 November 2011
And no, that is not to say that the movie is based on the book. They just share the same title.

I feel like I'm starting to sound like a broken record when it comes to reviewing Jane Costello's books, but I can't help it, because - to borrow an English phrase - they're just SO BLOODY GOOD!

I love ALL the characters in her books. Like ALL of them. Yes, there's always a bad guy and a good guy - and by guy I refer here to possible male and/or female characters - but even those, you tend to love - in a love/hate sort of way.

Who couldn't love Valentina, who is self-obsessed, and hilariously charming in a Scarlett O'Hara sort of way? Or Charlotte, who I bet so many women shared a connection with as she went through her inner turmoils, ups and downs, and endured so much talk from so many people, which pushed her into committing the one mortal sin that could break the sister code? Or Georgia? Modest, funny, down-to-earth Georgia? Or last, but certainly not least, Evie? Good old Evie, who thought she suffered from commitment issues, when her only ailment was the fact that she just hadn't found the right guy yet...that is until Jack. Sigh. Jack. The embodiment of perfect male sculpted into a fictional - of course - character in a book, making it absolutely complete.

The only part I really didn't like and found unnecessarily silly was the scene when Evie felt forced to make up that boyfriend story for Jack's benefit in a moment of panic. Honestly, it seemed childish and a little immature for a twenty-seven year old. It also felt like Costello was trying to create a conflict for no reason, when the Beth thing was way better executed in my opinion.

All in all, Jane Costello has yet to disappoint me with one of her books. And my only regret is that I've finished reading all of them, and now have to wait for her next novel to come out - which won't be until 2012.
on 4 April 2010
Jane Costello is definitely an author to keep an eye out for. Her style is of a better quality than a lot of the chick lit authors out there. I read her second book "The Nearly Weds" before this and thought it was excellent, so I gave this a try too.

The title put me off slightly at first because I am not that enamoured of books focused around weddings as they can get a bit samey. However, this book doesn't really dwell upon the actual weddings, it's more about the people's relationships and the socialising around the big events.

The story is told from the point of view of Evie, a journalist who has never had a serious relationship and is wondering if she will every manage one. She is bridesmaid to all of her friends and even her mum at one point. Costello manages to make the story humourous and even though she uses quite a lot of characters, she has a skill for making you feel that you know them all well and subsequently, you can't help caring about what is happening to them all. There are the two newly marrieds; Grace and Georgia trying to get to grips with married life with their new-partners; shallow and self-centred Valentina looking for a wealthy husband and shy and self-loathing Charlotte trying to stay in the background.

I enjoyed the story, read it very quickly and found parts of it quite funny. However, it's not quite as good as her second book. The ending is a little more cheesy than it needed to be and the epilogue telling what they were all doing three years later was unecessary I thought. I would rather have had a bit more time with Evie's personal ending. That's what lost it the fifth star, but I would recommend it. It's still a very good read.
on 30 November 2009
Evie Hart is worried she'll always be the bridesmaid and never the bride, particularly since within a space of a few months she'll be attending no less than four weddings all as a bridesmaid. However during the first of those weddings, Evie meets Jack Williamson... by meet I mean her chicken fillets pop out of her dress but hey, it's one way of making an impression. As Evie and Jack keep meeting at weddings it becomes apparant they both have feelings for the other but disaster keeps striking. Will Evie finally be able to commit to a long-term relationship or is she destined to always being the bridesmaid?

We're immediately thrust into one of the four weddings Evie will be attending throughout the course of the book and I was instantly sucked in. I found myself laughing out loud when Evie first met Jack and the way in which it happened - her chick fillets popping out of her dress and from then on I found myself laughing out loud on numerous occasions. As the story progresses a lot of things get in the way of Evie and Jack which drove me to distraction and I hoped it would all work out in the end.

Reading a book entitled Bridesmaids does of course mean there's going to be weddings galore and boy, are there a lot of weddings throughout the book! I felt as if I should have read it wearing a dress and huge hat! I liked the inclusion of the weddings and the madness that ensued most of the time. There are other plots in the book, mainly about the friendship of the five girls and we see how marriage effects those we witness getting married.

Bridesmaids is well worth a read as Jane Costello is a fantastic writer which makes for a fantastic read. Jane's only had two books published but I'm a huge fan already and can't wait for her next offering. Her books are witty, warm and immensely moreish! Plus most women will have been a bridesmaid at some stage and I dare you to not laugh and nod your head at the wedding scenarios!
on 15 June 2011
The first thing i have to write about this book is it is hilarious. From chicken fillets being stuffed in a dress to emphasise Evie's Dress and from her being convinced that her friend put her curling tongs in her handbag, only to discover that it was a vibrator. To make matters worse, she makes the discovery in a bar full of people.

'Bridesmaids' tells the story of Evie as she ends up becoming Bridesmaid to four weddings in the one year. Including being Bridesmaid at her mothers wedding. Jack, the handsome charity worker ends up becoming a regular at the weddings. Although Evie and him don't have the perfect meeting when he catches sight of her chicken fillets and she ends up almost bursting his ear drum when she trys to herd the guests at her friends wedding for pictures.

Jack and Evie end up hitting it off but things become complicated when Evie discovers that Jack is her friends plus one to the wedding. Then there's the fact that all three of Evie's ex boyfriends are attending the weddings as well, only sending Evie's stress levels through the roof.

'Bridesmaids' is both heartwarming and hilarious. I read it when feeling really sick. I couldn't put this book down as it had me laughing and left me with a big smile on my face. perfect book to cheer someone up.

Would recommend this to everyone who loves reading chick lit.