Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 December 2010
Very good book. Wish I had this book when I was playing as a junior. If you are playing in the "fog" of just learning your shots, but not winning as much as you think you should be....then read this. We all talk about concentration but how do you focus...this book tells you; it gives you a game plan; it makes you think like a tennis player

Aimed at the recreational player...if you only own 1 tennis book this is it
on 1 February 1999
Through stories from the tour and club play that Brad Gilbert has observed, he provides examples of how to stay mentally "in-tune" during your matches. If you are looking for a book on the physical aspects of the game, this is not waht you want. This deals with how to mentally prepare for a match, and execute!
on 12 March 1997
After playing women's doubles in our inter-club league for such a short time and being so unsuccessful. The tennis pro at the country club where I belonged recommended Brad's book. After reading and highlighting the book I would like to say I won every match I played. Well I didn't. But it was not for a lack of trying. I tried everthing that Brad said. After a while , with book constantly at hand. I did win some matches.! I know I drove some poeple to distraction. ( a nicer way to say I DROVE THEM CRAZY ) quoting Gilbert. Well our Pro took the book off me, I thought to throw it away. Instead he went to the USopen that year and had Brad Gilbert autograph it for me. It is ONE of my prized possessions. Along with Jimmy Connors autograph on my Prince Racquet cover. Thanks Brad. I may never be famous for my tennis. But it has made tennis a lot more interesting.
on 8 December 1997
This book tells how to not only win, but to keep from losing. Everyone says change a losing game but this book actually tells you how to do just that. I play USTA league tennis and will read this book before the beginning of each season as a refresher. Bart Sullivan
on 29 June 1998
this book is a handy easy to read digest of tips, strategies and thoughts on winning from someone who did win and beat better players. this book rocks. you read--you play better---you win.
on 27 December 2010
It is just a very practical book with real tips that you can use.
It took me a long time to decide to buy it because of the title which put me off, but the title is not about winning ugly, it is about putting all the chances on your side to win.
My favourite tip: chosing to receive on the first game in most cases against standard players. Works all the time for me since my serve takes 1 set to really warm up but not my return, meaning, I win most of my first game when I use to lose them most of the time.
It is a fun book too especially if you read the biography of J. McEnroe after and cross reference the events...
on 2 October 1998
Steve Jamison offers Andre's insights and Brad broadsides in the very best book on tennis written in this decade.
Tactics par excellence.
Tom Rudwall Dayton Ohio
on 22 March 2014
Boris Becker, Andre Agassi, Jimmy Connors... The players you know (or thought you knew) are used as examples by Brad Gilbert, to illustrate how a cunning tennis player can beat a tennis-wise superior opponent. Very entertaining, easy read in a chatty style. Some nice pieces of advice are also found every here and there. These gems still feel up-to-date even if the book was originally written decades ago. Andy Murray sort of links it to today and to the pretty different tennis which is played on the same courts Brad Gilbert used to fight his matches on.
on 18 June 2014
Was pretty disappointed with book, he is obviously alot better in person. Anyone who played at a decent level in sport that was looking for some genuine insight in my opinion would be disappointed. Maybe its not meant to be a sports psychology book, so my fault for putting it in to this class in that case. For me the target audience is for beginner tennis players, again perhaps that was his intention which in that case, my bad again.

As i said im sure he is great in real life but the book didn't reach my expectations. Again just my opinion.
on 20 September 2003
I had high hopes for this book, but ultimately I didn't feel that Brad says anything that the average player shouldn't already know. His message is basically "prepare well, and use your brain". I guess some people need to have the obvious spelled out, but once you've got the message there's a lot of padding in this book that doesn't add much. The Inner Game gave me a vital new perspective on the game which helped improve my tennis. With Winning Ugly I found myself thinking too much, which only made me play worse not better. Thank you Brad for some useful tips, but I'm afraid that's as far as it went for me.