on 8 January 2005
this book is absolutely fantastic
full of eyeopening useful information and explains so much
this info should be available on a much wider scale
i suffered for years with these symptoms beating my self up and feeling a failure
i just wish my doctor knew about this, then i would have made my recovery so much sooner
on 3 March 2008
This book offers ground breaking advice for dealing with depression. Kathleen Des Maisons talks us through the background of the brain chemistry which sets us up for depression. She then thoroughly explains her 7 step eating plan, designed to heal the underlying causes of depression, food cravings and weight gain. The book is well written, and contains many testimonials from people doing the programme in the UK and Europe. The food programme is inexpensive and all natural, and there is online support through the radiantrecovery website.

If you have tried everything else to no avail, you will be pleasantly surprised that this may well be the last book you ever need concerning this issue. What a relief to stop searching and finally find the answers we need.

If you are ready to join the growing number of people who are experiencing freedom from depression, this book will help you achieve that goal.
on 16 March 2000
I bought this book because I suffered from chronic tiredness at different times of the day and it was becoming a real problem. I just couldn't function by early afternoon. After following the seven steps in this interesting book, I healed myself of the highs and lows in my blood sugar level and found vitality again. It has made a real difference to me.
on 3 March 2008
I read Kathleen Des Maisons first edition of PnP two years ago when I was looking for help with lethargy and mild depression. The book had been given to me by a friend some time before and I had sighed and added it to my already groaning bookshelves full of self help tomes.

I had also just been diagnosed with reactive psoriasis on my hands, feet, knees and elbows and told by two different consultants that diet alone could not help and cortisone creams were the only way forward. An alternative practitioner suggested that candida related problems were often at the root of psoriasis so, looking for a way to get my sweet tooth under control I picked up the book again.

I felt a bit daunted when I realized that eliminating sugar might be necessary but the first chapters of the book were describing my life so I began the first step out of desperation and with rather a lot of scepticism.

After only a couple of weeks on the first steps of the program I found I was sleeping through the night for the first time in about twelve years and much to my astonishment the psoriasis on my feet and knees began to clear. Although my hands were still very cracked the fissures were nowhere near as deep and no longer bleeding and my elbows also improved.

The science in this new edition hasn't fundamentally changed but Dr. Des Maisons has developed her self help program and her website and uses a lot of her ever expanding experience to make this new work even easier to follow and read.

Two years down the line my hands are also clear and any small sign of soreness usually means I have slipped a bit on the program. I find it surprisingly easy to follow and the cumulative effect of feeling so much better and losing my desire to binge on sugary foods has kept me on track.

As an added bonus I am clearer headed and more energetic at 58 than I was at 28 !
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 July 2008
this is the best book and the very best advice you will ever read if you are struggling to lose weight and even worse struggling to face the day, follow every step and you will never look back. This book saved my life!
on 25 January 2008
My bookshelf was groaning with self help books, I'd read them all. I'd stopped drinking alcohol & had been in therapy for over two years. So why did I still feel depressed, a failure, less than?

Reading the 1999 version of 'Potatoes not Prozac' was like coming home. 'This woman knows me' I thought! It was unbelievable to read of my feelings & behaviours on every page, & none of it was my fault.

Dr des Maisons explains the biochemistry of sugar sensitivity in accessible terms. She outlines a framework of six simple steps to recovery. Immediately there is a message of hope, & better still it works!

Two years since I discovered this book, the new edition has a lot to add. Fully updated to include all the pertinent research breakthroughs of the past ten years, it incorporates the lived experience of thousands of people like me whose lives have been transformed.

Dr des Maisons is in a class of her own when it comes to self help gurus. She has no agenda, just a wealth of experience in the field of addictive nutrition, & a gift for communicating what she knows effectively & lovingly.

Where else do you find an invitation to an online community at the back of a book? I checked it out to discover a hugely vibrant resource offering all the support & encouragement anyone could want. This is a lifes work not a rip off or a well intentioned dabbling in plagiarised wishful thinking. As I said I have all the other books too!

As for me? My life is unrecognisable from two years ago. I had been waiting to die, trapped & full of shame at my patheticness & lack of willpower. Within six months I had left depression behind, & now I have friends, a job, a life.

There is a way out! I hope you can join me.
on 13 August 2001
After reading Potatoes not Prozac I feel as if I have gained answers to questions I dared not ask. If, like me you are constantly tempted by sweet or starchy foods or are prone to binging you too could be sugar sensitive. Don't be put off by the title - this book is extremely informative while not trying to force certain diet regimes onto you. It simply gives you the facts and a guide of how to change your eating habits accordingly.
on 3 January 2008
I have been following Dr DesMaisons' plan for several months now, and it has made a remarkable difference to my life. My bingeing has stopped, I have control over what I eat, and I don't crave sugar at all. My depression has also lifted, and I feel joy for the first time in years!! It is really changing my life, and I love it!!

The new edition of Potatoes Not Prozac has been totally revamped from the old version and contains lots and lots of new information which is great to see. It is really easy to read and very comforting. The program has a great scientific base but Dr DesMaisons explains it so its easy for everyone to understand and apply.

I would highly recommend the book to anyone dealing with food issues, depression, and any kind of addiction. It sounds so simple, but it works, and its amazing :)
on 27 February 2005
Kathleen DesMaisons' theory is that, in some people, sugar acts like an addictive drug on certain parts of the brain, interfering with serotonin and beta-endorphin regulation. You can control mood swings and depression by learning to control sugar intake. I think she has a point.
What I most liked about the book is that it doesn't preach. Rather, it helps you become aware of the effects of foods on your mental and emotional state. The author says "you will learn to pay attention to your body in a consistent way and make a connection between how you are feeling and what you are eating." It is an empowering book, not a set of thou-shalt-not's.
It's all very American, though. A lot of the foods that DesMaisons mentions are not available here. All the recipes (there aren't many) use American units (what is a "cup of cheese"?). Her statistics tend to refer to incidence in "the country" (and I don't think she means the countryside) - a regrettably short-sighted view.
I don't agree with everything DesMaisons says. For one thing, she says she does not approve of "megavitamins" but then goes on the suggest taking up to 5000mg of vitamin C per day. That's about eighty times the UK recommended daily allowance, and more than double the recommended maximum.
The main problem I have, though, is the theory that there are two quite different kinds of people. Some (according to this book) are "sugar sensitive" and react to sugar the way an alcoholic reacts to drink; the rest of us are not, and presumably have nothing to learn. In reality I believe the situation is less black and white. Some of us may be more sensitive than others, but everyone can benefit from understanding their food intake.
By the way, the general dietary recommendations here are similar to those of the "GI" (glycemic index) diet, though for totally different reasons. So although your motive for following the "Potatoes not Prozac" guidelines may be to control depression, you might also find it helps you lose weight and reduce the risk of diabetes.
The book is well written. There is just the right balance of (simplified) science, explanation and anecdote, and it's a pleasure to read.
on 4 March 2000
After years of trying to control food cravings and bingeing, this very practical approach has helped me stabilise my food and moods. I am not a scientist, and was sceptical about the theory behind the book, but I cant argue with the results. Desmaisons offers a very gentle approach to learning how you respond to certain foods. You then choose whether to eat them, based on your observations of how they effect you. She encourages you to change your food very slowly, rather than give everything up, feel great for a few weeks, then go back to how you were eating before. This is very different to dieting and feeling that certain foods are "forbidden" - which in my experience sets me up to crave them even more. There is a huge amount of on line support available as well. A really good buy if you are struggling with chaotic eating, depression and mood swings.