4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling
Firstly, I should confess to not being a teenager being in my early 30s, so I am not, strictly speaking, the intended audience for this book. However, I really enjoy this type of fiction and I am glad that I was persuaded by the reviews, to buy it.

Published on 22 Dec 2009 by daisyduck1976

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice cover, shame about the story
I read this book in one sitting but not because it was good. I read it in one sitting because I knew that if I put it down I would have no interest in picking it back up.

Published on 9 Jun 2011 by A. Chippindall-higgin

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 22 Dec 2009
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Hardcover)

The story is compelling with plenty of mystery and action to keep you interested. I liked the characters and I thought that they were believable and engaging. I read the book very quickly in 2 sittings because I couldn't wait to see where it was all leading.

My only criticisms are: 1) lack of description- I never had a clear picture in my head of where it was all happening. I also don't have any sort of image of what the characters look like. If you asked me now, I could tell you that Nora had wild curly hair, Vee was curvy, Patch had black hair and Jules was tall. That is it. It would have been much easier to really get absorbed in the story if the characters and the setting had been more vividly described. 2) Maybe a little more guidance on the whole nephil/fallen angel history would have been helpful. I know there are a lot of fiction books in this genre and some people might be well-aquainted with it, but if this is your first foray into the genre, you might find it lacking in detail.

Don't let any of that put you off though! It's well-worth reading and I expect I will want to read it again soon. I hope there are going to be follow up books too, because I would like to know more about Nora and Patch's future.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice cover, shame about the story, 9 Jun 2011
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Paperback)

I was really looking forward to reading this book. Aside from the beautiful cover, the book comes with the tantalising tagline 'A Fallen Angel...A Forbidden Love'. In no way did I feel that this book lived up to what it promised.

The book focuses on sixteen-year-old Nora Grey, a normal girl who finds her life turned upside down when she is partnered in bio lab with the dangerous, sexy anti-hero type boy that no one really knows much about? Sound familiar? Yes, the basic premise of this book could have been copied straight from Stephenie Meyer's 'novels' ( I use this word generously) I did enjoy it far more than Twilight but that's not saying a lot. Though at least in Hush, Hush, Nora does more than sit around moping about her not-quite boyfriend. Credit where credit's due.

I think one of the main problems with this book is that we, the readers, know from the very start what Patch - the archetypal anti-hero - is. It is spelled out for us in no small detail. Therefore it is annoying and frankly quite painful to watch Nora stumbling through three hundred odd pages of the book, trying to work out what Patch is. We all know so to watch her floundering through two-thirds of the book is just annoying. I kept hoping she'd just discover the truth about Patch and get on with the story but she didnt. Instead we get subjected to her embarrassing amateur sleuthing and that gets old very quickly.

Patch is barely even a character. He is painfully undeveloped. All he does is stand around looking supposedly cryptic and sexy and saying irritating, enigmatic things that would make most people want to punch him. There is never any detail about who he is - besides being an angel - or any real backstory about why he has fallen. It is vaguely touched upon but left frustratingly underdeveloped. The same goes for the entire angel storyline. The whole fallen angel arc is not that original. I was hoping for an original spin on the biblical story, a well-thought out mythology that would serve as the backdrop to the story. If that's what you're looking for, forget it. The fact that Patch is an angel is supposed to be the pivotal point of the book but, like his character, it is left frustratingly underdeveloped. The tagline promised a forbidden love. The only thing that should have made it forbidden is that Nora is stupid and Patch is creepy. Not sexy. Stalkers are not sexy!

The blurb on the back of the book promised an ancient war between immortals and the fallen. Did the book fulfil that promise? Not a bit of it. Instead we get Nora making increasingly stupid decisions that lead her into increasingly stupid situations. There was no sense of anything bigger and at no point did I feel any sense of danger. There was no emotion.

The 'twist' was pitiful. One villain was so obvious from the word go that it is an insult to the reader and the second villain cannot be called a character. For most of the book he is nothing but a name and in infrequently mentioned one at that.

And as an aside note, if Patch is an angel then surely he is several thousand years old. Would someone of that age really fall for a teenager? Hmm, I have my doubts. (Though Hugh Hefner might disagree!)

Frankly, the whole read was a massive disappointment. Pages and pages of an increasingly dim heroine do nothing at the 'climax' than sputter and die. It was like being promised a firework and being given a candle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 6 Nov 2009
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Nora Grey isn't your typical high school student in the sense that she spends a lot of time on her own and yet concentrates on her studies and has her head on straight. She is that good girl that doesn't want any trouble and, slightly reminding me of Rory from my beloved Gilmore Girls in the "has her sights set on Yale and nothing will stand in her way" attitude (and yes, I know Rory was Harvard-bound, but you get where I'm going). But trouble seems to find her in the form of that mysteriously gorgeous bad boy, Patch.

And Patch...how can I describe Patch without turning into a puddle of mush? Well, he's trouble, plain and simple. But he's that good kind of trouble that just about anyone with the XX chromosome is attracted to. He's got the sarcasm down to an art and there's also the fact there's something about him that's not quite right.

Becca Fitzpatrick has done a beautiful job with not only the characters in HUSH, HUSH, but also the imagery is phenomenal. There are moments when she describes the scenery and it feels as if you are walking through places they frequented. And yet even in what should be the most innocent of events, there seemed to be this undertone that something dangerous was near.

And one thing that makes me over the moon is the fact that every character serves a purpose. There's not all these extra characters thrown in there along the way, with no explanation of why. I like that. The only thing about the entire story that got me was Vee, but just a little. I found Vee to be one of those friends that you have to take care of and keep an eye on like you do a child. A bit reckless and self-absorbed, but she still plays her role.

There were times when I found myself literally laughing out loud, like for this particular gem: "I scribbled Jerk on the first line. On the line beneath it I added, Smokes cigars, Will die of lung cancer. Hopefully soon. Excellent physical shape." The above was from Nora, shortly after her first couple of encounters with Patch.

Despite the many humorous gems I found throughout the entire book, this is also a dark novel, and in saying that, there are moments when I would gasp in shock or surprise. It seemed that over the course of 400 pages, I went through every emotion possible, and that's a good thing! Few authors can create a world and a cast of characters that sticks in your head like these do.

Of course, there are already a few different comparisons going on throughout the blogosphere. One being the comparison between HUSH, HUSH and TWILIGHT. Now, of course there are similarities, but they are far from the same novel, or even in the same ballpark for that matter, and the majority of similarities (bad boy/good girl, bad boy has some sort of "different" attribute, fall in love) are similar in books with just about any form of romance over the last couple hundred years. Then there are those (the Biology room as a beginning) that are clearly similar, but they don't make the stories the same.

Then there's the comparison of Edward from said TWILIGHT and Patch. And there's also this comparison of Spike and Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and later Angel) and Patch. As someone who was never a fan of either of these shows, I can't comment on that side of the argument because I have no insight on either of those characters. But I can comment on the Edward comparison; and boy, let me tell you, Edward ain't got nothing on Patch! The only thing that Edward has over Patch is those sparkles, but Patch has scars, and scars beat sparkles hands down!

HUSH, HUSH seemed to captivate me in a way that no other book has since...I don't quite remember. I haven't stayed up until 2am reading anything in a long while, much less a 400 page book in one sitting! And if my review can't convince you to read this awesomeness, then just look at the cover! It's haunting, beautiful, memorable, and drop dead sexy...just like the story within.

This is the hardest review I've written and I mean that in a good way. HUSH, HUSH is a title that for the most part receives automatic squeals and excitement simply from its name alone, and there is a reason for all of this commotion. That reason, in short, is because it is fantastically amazing!

Reviewed by: Samantha Clanton, aka Harlequin Twilight

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 10 Feb 2010
A. M. Degerland (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Hardcover)
I REALLY wanted to like this book. After reading Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments trilogy (which i really enjoyed) I was excited that a new book was out following the mythology of angels, the fallen and nephilim. Unfortunately Hush Hush just didn't live up to my hopes.

The pacing of the story is awful, with the first two thirds of the book reiterating how the lead character Nora, and the reader's narrator, really likes this guy Patch..but shouldn't because she senses he's dangerous...but still does; apart from this almost constant repetition little else happens in the plot. After over 200 hundred pages of 'should she, shouldn't she' and 'is this attraction or fear' (both infuriating and boring), the story finally starts to pick up a bit, but not much.

Finally, after all the build up, the entirety of what Patch is and why he is in Nora's life etc spills out in a total of about 4 pages.

What made this so disappointing was that the premise of the story is great, the characters have a lot of potential to develop and the mythology could be explored with a fresh approach, unfortunately none of this happens and on finishing the book i just had the feeling of 'oh, was that it?'.
The author barely scratched the surface of any depth that could have made this book good and instead rambled on incessantly about whether or not Nora does in fact fancy or fear the bloke only ever described as being dark, with dark eyes, wearing dark jeans and dark boots (and an occasionally changing t-shirt).

For other fans of YA fantasy/romance who are craving a bit of supernatural escapism, buy the Cassandra Clare trilogy, Kristen Cashore's 'Graceling' and 'Fire' duo or Maggie Stiefvater's 'Shiver' instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hush, Hush. it... was not good., 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Kindle Edition)
Ignoring for the moment the problematic nature of the main love story, which other reviews I've read have touched on at length... this just wasn't very good.

Very little happens for the first 3/4 of the book, then there's a massive exposition dump and an overly long climax. That's about it. The relationships in no way ring true, logic of any kind is absent and characters are instead rewarded for ridiculous leaps of logic with being right, and most damningly for this type of genre fiction the supernatural element receives almost no real exploration. One could take it out entirely and only have to make a few small changes to character motivation for the story to make just as much sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's Not Compare It To Twilight Please, 5 Nov 2009
Rosie McCaffrey (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Hardcover)
First off, this is an absolutely amazing book. I was lucky enough to spot it in Sydney Airport a couple weeks ago and the cover was just so... alluring, shall we say? that I couldn't NOT buy it. The blurb on the back was enough to get me cavorting to the check out desk - the mere mention of angels, good or bad, promises a good read. I was in love with this book from cover to cover and it even provoked a couple of all-nighters because I simply could not put it down. The relationship between Nora and Patch is frustrating and terrifying and heart-wrenching - but in a good way. Becca Fitzpatrick manages with skill and ease to build up tangible tension until you yourself are sitting there, biting your lip in apprehension and terror, with your heart pounding so loud you can practically hear it... and then she pulls it all away from under you again. The plot is exceptional - I never could guess what was coming next - and at times you didn't even have time to recover from one shock before another jumped out of nowhere. The characters are beautifully written and feel real. Nora is headstrong and intelligent, but still relatable, while Patch is always two steps ahead and infuriatingly addictive. Just when you think he won't really do/say something, he does. He has the perfect amount of mystery surrounding him - enough to keep you on your toes, but not too much that you lose interest. Vee is the comic relief - because, believe me, you need it - she had me laughing out loud the whole way through, and she's the kind of best friend every girl wants. As if all of this wasn't enough, Becca Fitzpatrick is one of those authors who loves to interact with and hear from her fans - send her an email telling her how much you loved the book, and anything else, your own points of view, and she'll get right back to you, showing genuine interest in what you have to say.

Now, what I don't get is that this book is written in a different style, with different themes, characters and everything else, and still people are comparing it to Twilight. Stephenie Meyer's vampire saga was amazing - until they made it into films. And really, how stupid was that? Hollywood is probably the farthest away place culturally you could get from Forks, Washington, so why they even attempted to make a convincing portrayal of these books I will never know. They've become a total gimmick, caricatures of themselves, and as far as I'm concerned, have lost any dignity they ever had. If you are going to let somebody make your books into films, at least make sure you have a lot of control and say over how it all happens before you sign the contracts. Stephenie Meyer's books and Becca Fitzpatrick's new novel have absolutely nothing in common, so why is everybody starting to use Twilight as a benchmark for what makes a good teen novel? Can't anybody's book just be left alone to be ITSELF and not have anything to do with Edward Cullen and Bella Swan and Jacob Black? Does everything have to be comparable to those books? I think not.

So, don't buy this book if you're looking for something to replace the Twilight saga, because you will be buying it for the wrong reasons. Buy it to read it for what it is - a debut novel by a fantastic writer about entirely new characters and plots you've never come across before. Open the first page, clear your mind, and enjoy the book for what it is.

Also, just a heads up, there is a sequel due out sometime next autumn, so don't feel too sad when you come to the end of Hush, Hush :)!

1.0 out of 5 stars Does nobody realise how troubling this book is and how it glorifies sexual harassment?, 6 Dec 2011
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Paperback)
I'm surprised to see so many gushing reviews about this book. Fallen angel malarkey aside, if Patch was simply an ordinary boy with no 'magically justifiable love/lust/murderous intent (because all three are synonymous in this book)' for Nora, and if he wasn't 'smoulderingly good looking' (because as we've seen with Twilight, sex appeal TOTALLY makes up for stalking!), then this book would read out to be one of those court cases in which Nora should be filing a restraining order against this creepo whackjob like an episode of Law and Order: SVU.

She was clearly uncomfortable with his advances at first and she darn well should have been! Too bad no one else seems to think his stalkerish behaviour of her is worth noting and protecting her from, not even her so-called best friend. Patch and Nora sit in Bio class together 'learning' sex ed (in quote marks because they learn absolute cuss about nothing) where he proceeds to humiliate her in front of her class by listing all the reasons she's 'game' for him. Uh, how is this okay? The class was inappropriate enough as it is, but this just took the cake. When Nora sensibly decided she'd rather not get harassed by the whacko and went to the teacher to move seats, her teacher even decided "Hey, you're not REALLY uncomfortable with this guy's inappropriate actions towards you! I know, I'll have you tutor him!" FOR GOD'S SAKE. Then later on Patch /chased her around a deserted parking garage at night/. And instead of doing the right thing (kick him in the nuts then run like hell and call the police) she decides she'd rather get on his motorcycle, because "Ooooh, mysterious smouldering eyes!" *swoon*

In fact, the entire book is full of women who think of nothing but sex and 'bad boys' while all the men are utter, complete, CREEPY JERKS. Not a single person in this entire book is redeemable in any way, shape, or form. They are all either shallow, stalkers, idiots, sex-obsessed or premeditating murder.

I understand the thrill of a little dominance from a partner every now and then between consenting participants, but this is taking the idea and throwing it to the sharks of threats, intimidation, stalking, and /actually, honest to god talking about killing her/. How many times must I say that THIS IS NOT OKAY, GIRLS. NO MATTER HOW TINGLY YOUR NETHERBITS MAY BE FEELING, THIS IS A CLASSIC CASE OF ABUSE AND RAPE. For cryin' out loud the book is actually 'Hush, Hush' which basically translates to 'Shut up while I sexually harass you'.

NOT OKAY NOT OKAY NOT OKAY. I cannot stress this enough! This book is teaching or at the very least idealising rape/sexual harassment as something that is romantic and sexy. IT IS NOT. I didn't want to give this waste of paper a star at all! If I could get this crap banned I would, and possibly a court order for Fitzpatrick to never write again. I don't care if it's all fictional and Patch is just a character. This tells girls that when a man tries to rape you, instead of running for the hills and the cops, she should consider him 'misunderstood' instead and let him get away with it like the most cussed up case of Stockholm Syndrome.

1.0 out of 5 stars I just don't understand....., 8 Sep 2010
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Paperback)
I just don't understand how this book is so popular. The characters are unloveble and unbelievable. I decided to keep going like the trooper I am in order to finish this book thinkin... "oh it'll kick in soon" but it never did, by the end I felt robbed of both my money and my time. completely nonsensical and boring... would NOT reccomend

1.0 out of 5 stars Deeply disappointed, 19 Jun 2012
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Paperback)
There is so much gushing about Hush, Hush that I feel bad writing this! However, as an avid reader of this genre, I think I have an obligation to say that I think this book is drastically overrated.

It took me 3 tries to get passed the first chapter. It just failed to interest me.. the writing is horribly lack-luster.. the descriptions we are given of the characters are general at best. I found it hard to picture any one of them clearly in my head, and we are not given much insight to any of their personalities either. Without this I cannot get attached to the characters and in turn, feel indifferent about them. I dragged myself through the first few chapters thinking, 'It will get better.. it has such great reviews. Maybe its just a slow start.' Well, it never got any better. I didn't even realize until I was half way through the final 'fight' scene, that I was IN the final fight scene. There just isn't any climax or excitement whatsoever.

I got the feeling (and I think there were some references towards this as well) that the author meant Nora to be a somewhat intelligent, level headed girl - and yet many of the decisions she makes throughout the book are unbelievably stupid. An example that comes to mind is how, when looking for the party that Vee is at (with Elliot and Jules), even though she is in an unfamiliar neighborhood that is an obviously bad part of town, Nora fails to remember that her phone is in the coat she gives without thought to the homeless lady. When reading that I was just thinking Oh, come on! It was so stupid that it was unrealistic. There are a couple of scenarios in this book that are like that, where the decision Nora makes is just too dumb to be realistic - especially when its made by a supposedly intelligent character.

I found a lot of things in this book to be cliche, or really, really obvious. Maybe there was a good storyline there somewhere, but the writing let me down a lot. Overuse of the same phrases and words and descriptions, and even similarity in names as well (Elliots dead girlfriend and one of the policeman's names) - readers pick up on these things really easily!

I have always enjoyed YA fantasy and I would chalk up not liking this book to me FINALLY growing out of them (I will be 30 soon!), but the books I read (and thoroughly enjoyed) just before Hush, Hush were Before I Fall, Delirium and Uglies. So that can't be it. I could go on and on about all the things I did not like, but I think my point here is made!

I am deeply disappointed and will not be purchasing the sequel. This is the first time in a long time that I feel like I wasted my money on a book =(

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my thing, 9 July 2011
Manda Moo (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Paperback)
I was given this book by a friend, and thought it might be interesting to read some different genres. I don't think this is a good example of young adult fiction, and only made it to 30 pages before reading some of the reviews on Amazon, which said the characters remain self-obsessed throughout, neadless to say I gave up.

ARRAY(0xa3d349b4)

Hush, Hush
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (Paperback - 27 May 2010)
4.66