4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling
Firstly, I should confess to not being a teenager being in my early 30s, so I am not, strictly speaking, the intended audience for this book. However, I really enjoy this type of fiction and I am glad that I was persuaded by the reviews, to buy it.

Published on 22 Dec 2009 by daisyduck1976

Published on 6 Dec 2011 by aestheticmuse

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 22 Dec 2009
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Hardcover)

The story is compelling with plenty of mystery and action to keep you interested. I liked the characters and I thought that they were believable and engaging. I read the book very quickly in 2 sittings because I couldn't wait to see where it was all leading.

My only criticisms are: 1) lack of description- I never had a clear picture in my head of where it was all happening. I also don't have any sort of image of what the characters look like. If you asked me now, I could tell you that Nora had wild curly hair, Vee was curvy, Patch had black hair and Jules was tall. That is it. It would have been much easier to really get absorbed in the story if the characters and the setting had been more vividly described. 2) Maybe a little more guidance on the whole nephil/fallen angel history would have been helpful. I know there are a lot of fiction books in this genre and some people might be well-aquainted with it, but if this is your first foray into the genre, you might find it lacking in detail.

Don't let any of that put you off though! It's well-worth reading and I expect I will want to read it again soon. I hope there are going to be follow up books too, because I would like to know more about Nora and Patch's future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does nobody realise how troubling this book is and how it glorifies sexual harassment?, 6 Dec 2011
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Paperback)
I'm surprised to see so many gushing reviews about this book. Fallen angel malarkey aside, if Patch was simply an ordinary boy with no 'magically justifiable love/lust/murderous intent (because all three are synonymous in this book)' for Nora, and if he wasn't 'smoulderingly good looking' (because as we've seen with Twilight, sex appeal TOTALLY makes up for stalking!), then this book would read out to be one of those court cases in which Nora should be filing a restraining order against this creepo whackjob like an episode of Law and Order: SVU.

She was clearly uncomfortable with his advances at first and she darn well should have been! Too bad no one else seems to think his stalkerish behaviour of her is worth noting and protecting her from, not even her so-called best friend. Patch and Nora sit in Bio class together 'learning' sex ed (in quote marks because they learn absolute cuss about nothing) where he proceeds to humiliate her in front of her class by listing all the reasons she's 'game' for him. Uh, how is this okay? The class was inappropriate enough as it is, but this just took the cake. When Nora sensibly decided she'd rather not get harassed by the whacko and went to the teacher to move seats, her teacher even decided "Hey, you're not REALLY uncomfortable with this guy's inappropriate actions towards you! I know, I'll have you tutor him!" FOR GOD'S SAKE. Then later on Patch /chased her around a deserted parking garage at night/. And instead of doing the right thing (kick him in the nuts then run like hell and call the police) she decides she'd rather get on his motorcycle, because "Ooooh, mysterious smouldering eyes!" *swoon*

In fact, the entire book is full of women who think of nothing but sex and 'bad boys' while all the men are utter, complete, CREEPY JERKS. Not a single person in this entire book is redeemable in any way, shape, or form. They are all either shallow, stalkers, idiots, sex-obsessed or premeditating murder.

I understand the thrill of a little dominance from a partner every now and then between consenting participants, but this is taking the idea and throwing it to the sharks of threats, intimidation, stalking, and /actually, honest to god talking about killing her/. How many times must I say that THIS IS NOT OKAY, GIRLS. NO MATTER HOW TINGLY YOUR NETHERBITS MAY BE FEELING, THIS IS A CLASSIC CASE OF ABUSE AND RAPE. For cryin' out loud the book is actually 'Hush, Hush' which basically translates to 'Shut up while I sexually harass you'.

NOT OKAY NOT OKAY NOT OKAY. I cannot stress this enough! This book is teaching or at the very least idealising rape/sexual harassment as something that is romantic and sexy. IT IS NOT. I didn't want to give this waste of paper a star at all! If I could get this crap banned I would, and possibly a court order for Fitzpatrick to never write again. I don't care if it's all fictional and Patch is just a character. This tells girls that when a man tries to rape you, instead of running for the hills and the cops, she should consider him 'misunderstood' instead and let him get away with it like the most cussed up case of Stockholm Syndrome.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disapppinting, 29 Nov 2010
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Paperback)
Loving all types of urban fantasy, both adult and young teens ( and I am not a teenager, but a woman in her fifties). I was totally disappointed with this book , especially after reading the glowing reviews. The characters were one dimensional and I felt no connection with them at all. Lack of description was also a problem. But the most annoying thing about the book was how long before anything happened. I was almost three quarters of the way through before I got a real sense of what the book was about. So why did I stay with the book if it was so boring ? Because I kept thinking that maybe the next chapter would be a turning point.

Maybe this book would be suitable for a young teen, but if you love urban fantasy and are an adult, forget it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, shame about the ending., 4 April 2010
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Hardcover)
I really liked this book. But that's the point, I 'liked' it, I didn't 'love' it. IT's a good read and I certainly found it compelling enough that I read it in two sittings. However the ending was lacking for me. Such an anti-climax when there had been so much sexual tension and bristling emoting between the two main protagonists.
I have to say, it is well written, and I think the concept of the Nephilim and the fallen angels brilliant. It definetly put a different spin on the usual 'fallen from grace' idea.
Younger teens will enjoy this I'm sure. It practically screams high school romance and angst. But like I said, I found the ending to be so weak and left me wanting.
But I would read it again because it is safe and does spur the imagination.
It's worth a read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice cover, shame about the story, 9 Jun 2011
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Paperback)
I read this book in one sitting but not because it was good. I read it in one sitting because I knew that if I put it down I would have no interest in picking it back up.

I was really looking forward to reading this book. Aside from the beautiful cover, the book comes with the tantalising tagline 'A Fallen Angel...A Forbidden Love'. In no way did I feel that this book lived up to what it promised.

The book focuses on sixteen-year-old Nora Grey, a normal girl who finds her life turned upside down when she is partnered in bio lab with the dangerous, sexy anti-hero type boy that no one really knows much about? Sound familiar? Yes, the basic premise of this book could have been copied straight from Stephenie Meyer's 'novels' ( I use this word generously) I did enjoy it far more than Twilight but that's not saying a lot. Though at least in Hush, Hush, Nora does more than sit around moping about her not-quite boyfriend. Credit where credit's due.

I think one of the main problems with this book is that we, the readers, know from the very start what Patch - the archetypal anti-hero - is. It is spelled out for us in no small detail. Therefore it is annoying and frankly quite painful to watch Nora stumbling through three hundred odd pages of the book, trying to work out what Patch is. We all know so to watch her floundering through two-thirds of the book is just annoying. I kept hoping she'd just discover the truth about Patch and get on with the story but she didnt. Instead we get subjected to her embarrassing amateur sleuthing and that gets old very quickly.

Patch is barely even a character. He is painfully undeveloped. All he does is stand around looking supposedly cryptic and sexy and saying irritating, enigmatic things that would make most people want to punch him. There is never any detail about who he is - besides being an angel - or any real backstory about why he has fallen. It is vaguely touched upon but left frustratingly underdeveloped. The same goes for the entire angel storyline. The whole fallen angel arc is not that original. I was hoping for an original spin on the biblical story, a well-thought out mythology that would serve as the backdrop to the story. If that's what you're looking for, forget it. The fact that Patch is an angel is supposed to be the pivotal point of the book but, like his character, it is left frustratingly underdeveloped. The tagline promised a forbidden love. The only thing that should have made it forbidden is that Nora is stupid and Patch is creepy. Not sexy. Stalkers are not sexy!

The blurb on the back of the book promised an ancient war between immortals and the fallen. Did the book fulfil that promise? Not a bit of it. Instead we get Nora making increasingly stupid decisions that lead her into increasingly stupid situations. There was no sense of anything bigger and at no point did I feel any sense of danger. There was no emotion.

The 'twist' was pitiful. One villain was so obvious from the word go that it is an insult to the reader and the second villain cannot be called a character. For most of the book he is nothing but a name and in infrequently mentioned one at that.

And as an aside note, if Patch is an angel then surely he is several thousand years old. Would someone of that age really fall for a teenager? Hmm, I have my doubts. (Though Hugh Hefner might disagree!)

Frankly, the whole read was a massive disappointment. Pages and pages of an increasingly dim heroine do nothing at the 'climax' than sputter and die. It was like being promised a firework and being given a candle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's Not Compare It To Twilight Please, 5 Nov 2009
Rosie McCaffrey (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Hardcover)
First off, this is an absolutely amazing book. I was lucky enough to spot it in Sydney Airport a couple weeks ago and the cover was just so... alluring, shall we say? that I couldn't NOT buy it. The blurb on the back was enough to get me cavorting to the check out desk - the mere mention of angels, good or bad, promises a good read. I was in love with this book from cover to cover and it even provoked a couple of all-nighters because I simply could not put it down. The relationship between Nora and Patch is frustrating and terrifying and heart-wrenching - but in a good way. Becca Fitzpatrick manages with skill and ease to build up tangible tension until you yourself are sitting there, biting your lip in apprehension and terror, with your heart pounding so loud you can practically hear it... and then she pulls it all away from under you again. The plot is exceptional - I never could guess what was coming next - and at times you didn't even have time to recover from one shock before another jumped out of nowhere. The characters are beautifully written and feel real. Nora is headstrong and intelligent, but still relatable, while Patch is always two steps ahead and infuriatingly addictive. Just when you think he won't really do/say something, he does. He has the perfect amount of mystery surrounding him - enough to keep you on your toes, but not too much that you lose interest. Vee is the comic relief - because, believe me, you need it - she had me laughing out loud the whole way through, and she's the kind of best friend every girl wants. As if all of this wasn't enough, Becca Fitzpatrick is one of those authors who loves to interact with and hear from her fans - send her an email telling her how much you loved the book, and anything else, your own points of view, and she'll get right back to you, showing genuine interest in what you have to say.

Now, what I don't get is that this book is written in a different style, with different themes, characters and everything else, and still people are comparing it to Twilight. Stephenie Meyer's vampire saga was amazing - until they made it into films. And really, how stupid was that? Hollywood is probably the farthest away place culturally you could get from Forks, Washington, so why they even attempted to make a convincing portrayal of these books I will never know. They've become a total gimmick, caricatures of themselves, and as far as I'm concerned, have lost any dignity they ever had. If you are going to let somebody make your books into films, at least make sure you have a lot of control and say over how it all happens before you sign the contracts. Stephenie Meyer's books and Becca Fitzpatrick's new novel have absolutely nothing in common, so why is everybody starting to use Twilight as a benchmark for what makes a good teen novel? Can't anybody's book just be left alone to be ITSELF and not have anything to do with Edward Cullen and Bella Swan and Jacob Black? Does everything have to be comparable to those books? I think not.

So, don't buy this book if you're looking for something to replace the Twilight saga, because you will be buying it for the wrong reasons. Buy it to read it for what it is - a debut novel by a fantastic writer about entirely new characters and plots you've never come across before. Open the first page, clear your mind, and enjoy the book for what it is.

Also, just a heads up, there is a sequel due out sometime next autumn, so don't feel too sad when you come to the end of Hush, Hush :)!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hooked right from the start!, 22 April 2010
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Hardcover)
Hush Hush is about Nora, a smart and responsible girl, who, during her bio class(ring any bells?),teams up with Patch, the mysterious transfer.After that day, weird things started happening to her,like seeing things that aren't there or hearing voices inside her head.Her life is forever changed.

Character development,in my opinion,is this book's only weakness.For starters,Vee,Nora's best friend is all kinds of annoying and stupid.As for Patch, well let's just say I'm not 16 any more!Nothing bad about being 16 or liking Patch,and I like them as mysterious and dangerous as the next girl, but I think he overdid it with the bad assness a bit.Also,he seemed a bit mean to everyone else, except Nora.That's not something I like in a guy.
Nora, on the other hand, I liked, which I still can't believe because I am not into gullible or weak characters at all.But I took a liking to Nora because she seemed very down to earth and real.Her scenes with Patch were hot, their undeniable chemistry more than apparent.But still, in the end, you know deep down, that she deserves much better.
Story development was not bad at all.Who is Patch and what has happened to him is explained in full detail,not a shadow of a doubt, no questions asked.Stories about angels never, ever fail to impress.Adding Miss Greene (Darbria) to the story was also an excellent idea.Furthermore, it doesn't have an apparent conclusion(don't worry, it doesn't end with a cliffhanger),so it' doesn't feel weird going into the second book, feeling you already know everything.Fitzpatrick could have numerous additions to the story and still not look flat. What failed to impress me though was the revelation at the end, which was both obvious and far fetched.

Overall, I liked Hush Hush a lot, because despite its flaws, it still had me hooked till 3am this morning and craving for more.When a book does that, you know you hit gold!Plus,best cover of the year,hands down!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Key Word Here Is PO-TEN-TIAL!, 1 Feb 2010
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Hardcover)
Right off the bat I'm telling you if your looking for decent plot and none obvious twists and turns your not going to find it in this book.

The plot is your basic normal high school girl who isn't really, meets the new boy who is a mysterious tall, dark stranger type. yeah they fall in love, yeah he's not human, yeah she thinks right off that he's trying to kill her and yeah theirs reason's they shouldn't be together. the tension is minimal and the plot like I said it pretty predictable BUT their is potential. the leading man Patch IS an interesting charter that you wont to know more about and Nora isn't that bad either, a little bland perhaps but theirs that thing again, potential.

The book reads like a prequel to something better and greater and as their is another book in the work's I'm hoping that it will indeed be better, the charter's more involved and better written and more of a plot device.

Their are allot of plot's hinted at but not resolved or tied up and this gives me hope. the Hush, Hush verse as a whole seems allot bigger, but it's that whole potential thing again. The book is slow going and it takes quite a few chapter's to get into but I'll say it's worth it just to get to know the charters a little. Nora's best friend Vee is a force of nature and I would have liked to have read more about her and Patches Irish friend who only makes a minimal appearance is also another charter I'd like to get to know but like I said the book is under written and so are the charter's.

It's almost like the author isn't sure where she's going half the time and the plot flounders because of this. The story line of Patch and the fallen Angels is a really interesting one but it's only barely hinted at. the book is bogged down in the romance aspect and it just doesn't work. Not enough attention was given to the plot of the story and it fails horribly because of that. the mystery aspect of the story is a side thought, wrapped up too quickly and the charter's actions are at best clumsy and comical.

With that said I did enjoy it for the most part and I'm looking foreword to the next book, if only to here more about Patch and his past and the Angels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good read!, 23 Dec 2009
D. Markham "Calmarsi" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Hardcover)
I picked this book after being drawn to the front cover xD It was unusual and cool looking, so I decided to buy it xD I'm very glad that I judged the book for it's cover, otherwise I might not have got it and read this fantastic book!

What can I say about this? Well, the characters. The main character is likeable enough and doesn't seem too needy or overly sarcastic or whatever and she is easy to relate to but sometimes I don't get the thought process behind her thinking: 'Oh, this guy creeps me out, he's so weird, I don't like him....let's go find him!' xD or '...this is a really bad idea. Let's do it anyway!' xD I just don't get how she comes up with her reckless decisions. On her defence she did flip a coin once ;D

Patch. What can we say about him. Well, he's pretty mysterious, good looking, annoying to Nora (allegedly), sarcastic, and very interested in Nora for a some reason that she doesn't know. Even though he seems like a right git at times I find it hard not to like him xD I think that the two of them together is interesting to read, as Nora puts on the whole 'what the heck does he want, he's so annoying!' front....she loves it really xD It's pretty same old same old as far a romance goes...with a twist of course xD I won't spoil it.

While the story concept is not really a new one, the writing style and the way all characters are portrayed certainly draws you in to the story, and I found it east to picture every scene and all the characters in my mind...which I like when reading, if I can't picture it it's not described well enough xD (I hate not knowing what a character looks like!) It's funny; ever since Twilight books have all been about either Romance, vampires, or now fallen angels...I've seen 3 book on fallen angels all about romance xD Despite the obvious popularity because of Twilight and the like, this is not a trashy spin off...it's a very very good and engaging read, and I am thoroughly anticipating the sequal! ^^

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 6 Nov 2009
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Nora Grey isn't your typical high school student in the sense that she spends a lot of time on her own and yet concentrates on her studies and has her head on straight. She is that good girl that doesn't want any trouble and, slightly reminding me of Rory from my beloved Gilmore Girls in the "has her sights set on Yale and nothing will stand in her way" attitude (and yes, I know Rory was Harvard-bound, but you get where I'm going). But trouble seems to find her in the form of that mysteriously gorgeous bad boy, Patch.

And Patch...how can I describe Patch without turning into a puddle of mush? Well, he's trouble, plain and simple. But he's that good kind of trouble that just about anyone with the XX chromosome is attracted to. He's got the sarcasm down to an art and there's also the fact there's something about him that's not quite right.

Becca Fitzpatrick has done a beautiful job with not only the characters in HUSH, HUSH, but also the imagery is phenomenal. There are moments when she describes the scenery and it feels as if you are walking through places they frequented. And yet even in what should be the most innocent of events, there seemed to be this undertone that something dangerous was near.

And one thing that makes me over the moon is the fact that every character serves a purpose. There's not all these extra characters thrown in there along the way, with no explanation of why. I like that. The only thing about the entire story that got me was Vee, but just a little. I found Vee to be one of those friends that you have to take care of and keep an eye on like you do a child. A bit reckless and self-absorbed, but she still plays her role.

There were times when I found myself literally laughing out loud, like for this particular gem: "I scribbled Jerk on the first line. On the line beneath it I added, Smokes cigars, Will die of lung cancer. Hopefully soon. Excellent physical shape." The above was from Nora, shortly after her first couple of encounters with Patch.

Despite the many humorous gems I found throughout the entire book, this is also a dark novel, and in saying that, there are moments when I would gasp in shock or surprise. It seemed that over the course of 400 pages, I went through every emotion possible, and that's a good thing! Few authors can create a world and a cast of characters that sticks in your head like these do.

Of course, there are already a few different comparisons going on throughout the blogosphere. One being the comparison between HUSH, HUSH and TWILIGHT. Now, of course there are similarities, but they are far from the same novel, or even in the same ballpark for that matter, and the majority of similarities (bad boy/good girl, bad boy has some sort of "different" attribute, fall in love) are similar in books with just about any form of romance over the last couple hundred years. Then there are those (the Biology room as a beginning) that are clearly similar, but they don't make the stories the same.

Then there's the comparison of Edward from said TWILIGHT and Patch. And there's also this comparison of Spike and Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and later Angel) and Patch. As someone who was never a fan of either of these shows, I can't comment on that side of the argument because I have no insight on either of those characters. But I can comment on the Edward comparison; and boy, let me tell you, Edward ain't got nothing on Patch! The only thing that Edward has over Patch is those sparkles, but Patch has scars, and scars beat sparkles hands down!

HUSH, HUSH seemed to captivate me in a way that no other book has since...I don't quite remember. I haven't stayed up until 2am reading anything in a long while, much less a 400 page book in one sitting! And if my review can't convince you to read this awesomeness, then just look at the cover! It's haunting, beautiful, memorable, and drop dead sexy...just like the story within.

This is the hardest review I've written and I mean that in a good way. HUSH, HUSH is a title that for the most part receives automatic squeals and excitement simply from its name alone, and there is a reason for all of this commotion. That reason, in short, is because it is fantastically amazing!

Reviewed by: Samantha Clanton, aka Harlequin Twilight

Hush, Hush
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (Hardcover - 29 Oct 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01