4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
The third and final book in Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle trilogy, THE SWEET FAR THING picks up a few months after REBEL ANGELS ended.

Published on 12 Feb 2008 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars
Published on 17 Sep 2010 by Rebecca

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 12 Feb 2008
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

It's now spring, and Gemma has been unable to reenter the realms with or without her friends since the Christmas holidays, when she sealed all the magic inside herself. She has grown uneasy with dreams of the supposedly dead Circe and the absence of Kartrik, despite his pledge to support her. As Mrs. Nightwing oversees the rebuilding of Spence Academy's long destroyed East Wing, Gemma discovers a door that leads into the realms. Soon she, Felicity, and Ann have rejoined Pippa in the realms.

All is far from well, however. Within the realms, the various tribes strive to convince Gemma to share her magic, and she finds herself unable to trust any of them. Circe is not dead after all, and her warnings frighten Gemma. And what of the new visions, in which Gemma sees a former student of Spence Academy, who writes of the Tree of All Souls?

Outside the realms, there is just as much uncertainty. Gemma prepares for her debut and tries to make her peace with her father and brother. Felicity's headstrong behavior has put her on the verge of losing her inheritance and freedom. Ann must decide whether to risk everything on the chance of a career in the theatre.

As dark forces spread through the realms and the girls' debuts approach, Gemma must find more strength in herself than she ever thought possible, and decide just what kind of woman she wants to be -- for herself, not anyone else.

Fans of the trilogy will tear through this book, eager to reach its conclusion and learn the fates of all its characters. Bray's descriptions of Victorian life and the mysterious realms are as colorful as ever. Gemma makes a sympathetic if sometimes frustrating narrator, believable in her struggle to make the right decision. At over 800 pages, THE SWEET FAR THING is far longer than either of the books before it, and there is some repetition to the earlier scenes, but those who love the world will be happy to spend as much time there as they can. Toward the end, the plot picks up to a heart-pounding pace. Between cheering the happier parts of the ending, and grieving over its inevitable sadness, readers will be glad to have lived through this tale with Gemma and her friends.

Reviewed by: Lynn Crow

5.0 out of 5 stars How exciting was this trilogy?!, 28 May 2009
Z. Nichols "Zoella" (Suffolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sweet Far Thing (Paperback)
Well, it just got better and better. This is the last of the trilogy and the most satisfying. Yes, it has a lot of pages, but they were so many things that Bray had to address. What was great about this one? Even more action and plot twists, character development and transformation abound, and the final resolution for the coming-of-age of Gemma Doyle and the future of the dark and enigmatic Kartik. I can't wait for the films!

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars, 17 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Sweet Far Thing (Paperback)
This book is long and the first half takes some slogging through because that is where we see Gemma make so, so many mistakes. It gets rather tiresome to see how she continually doubts what she sees, wallows in indecision, trusts the wrong people, and has run-ins with her friends. Can't Gemma have just one confidant? Just one person who will actually understand that there is sometime serious going on in the Realms? Just one person who doesn't want the magic for her or his own gain? Ok. I guess she has Kartik, but he spends a good portion of the novel trying to avoid Gemma, and she spends a good portion of the novel angry with him. I know Gemma's isolation is a big part of her character but still.

Despite all that griping, the end of the novel turned out to be much more enjoyable because here Gemma deals with her mistakes and her friends come to her aid. I loved how things turned out with Circe. I liked the story with Pippa and the factory girls. I'm kind of still processing the whole Felicity and Pippa thing. How long was Libba Bray planning that? I can only think of clues in this last book. Felicity has so much to deal with. I guess I should have known that things wouldn't turn out happily ever after with Kartik, after all it's 1895 and he is Indian and Gemma English, but it was sad. I liked the lengthy denouement. We needed some downtime at the end. For some reason I was fearful that the book would end with Gemma losing her magic and the ability to enter the Realms, and I'm glad that wasn't the case

5.0 out of 5 stars A-MUST-READ!, 16 Oct 2009
Sophie Frost (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sweet Far Thing (Paperback)
I enjoyed The Sweet Far Thing as it was a incredible end to the trilogy.

I however think that Rebel Angels the one before was better, The Sweet Far Thing ties up the loose ends and at some parts left me speechless and utterly shocked.

If you enjoy books set in the 1800's and you like books with magic and creatures, this book is for you as it has the romance and etiquette of a 1800's novel but also has the magic and adventure of fantasy novel.

The not so good parts in this book are, I found that a lot of the book nothing was really happening and you find something out about one of the characters, I will not share that information! I found it very disappointing.

Previous Novels

A Great and Terrible BeautyRebel Angels

5.0 out of 5 stars A love story masterpiece- beautiful on so many levels, 25 Jun 2009
Sara Hunter "HUNTERESS" (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sweet Far Thing (Paperback)
I loved this third and final book to Libby Bray's masterpiece. A very gifted writer who kept me enthralled throughout the whole triology. I hope to find more great works by this very talented author.

I'm also surprised how well the author captured London living, and their mannerisms - its pretty uncanny. Don't be put off thinking its a children's story, this book has many levels to it. I'm 27 and loved it.

I hope this book gets more press- its well derserved.

5.0 out of 5 stars The sweet far thing, 3 Jun 2009
Aimee S (Coventry, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sweet Far Thing (Paperback)
I confess: I absoloutley bawled my eyes out at the end, and might have thrown a bit of a tantrum because I didn't get the ending I wanted.

This book finishes this amazing sequel brilliantly, AND still managed to leave me wondering and wanting more. Yes, its very long, and may be very heavy to hold, but its all so worth it. I love this time period and its described very vividly. Its great if you just want to escape. Also I am head over heels in love with Kartik! I was totally enthrawled and believed the idea of the realms, without even a little doubt.
please read this, you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 31 Mar 2014
I saw this in my recommendations and I have to say I am happy I purchased it, a brillaint story, brilliantly written, Serious get this book! Would recommend highly!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant Trilogy, 31 Oct 2013
Very well written. A real page turner that had me up many nights into the wee hours. I recommend this set.

4.0 out of 5 stars fantastic but should be two not three books, 24 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Sweet Far Thing (Paperback)
I've read all three now highly recommend them and they are wonderful, however... I did feel taking it to three books was stretching the material a bit too thin as 'the sweet far thing' is taken up with endless trips back to the realm to find out if pippa was really bad or not and I must admit i skimmed a lot of this, wanting to cut to the chase. Gemma is a fantastic character, the writer skillfully juggles a whole host of scenarios and characters, lovely gruesome bits, some good reveals but... its just needs a good edit!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 17 July 2011
This review is from: The Sweet Far Thing (Paperback)
This book is amazing from start to finish! Her epic adventures and forbiden romance bring the story to life. She has troubles and lifts, every day events and twisting fantasy, all set in the 19th century! Sometimes I just peep through my fingers to read it because it is so unbelievable. It's a must read for any mood that just fantastic! You do not know what you are missing!

ARRAY(0xb2864120)

The Sweet Far Thing
The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray (Paperback - 5 May 2009)
5.99