5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Imaginative Book for Kids
Published on 9 Sep 2009 by Mark Baker

2.0 out of 5 stars Cannot be read on a Kindle Fire
My wife downloaded this book onto her Kindle Fire. As a dog we assumed you could zoom to read the script but no it is not possible. This is not explained and (on a Kindle) the book is unreadable and unusable. A waste of time, effort and money.
Published 20 months ago by Mr Fergus M C Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Imaginative Book for Kids, 9 Sep 2009
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (Paperback)
After a funny accident at breakfast, Grandpa weaves a tale of the land of Chewandswallow. In this magical land, clouds don't bring rain or snow. They bring dinner (and lunch and breakfast). People just take their plates and bowls outside and catch the meal of the day. But what happens when storms brew? How do you handle pea soup fog? Will the residence survive the food weather catastrophe?

Somehow, I missed this book as a kid, but the upcoming movie version inspired me to find out what I had missed. Quite a good book, as it turns out. The writing is simple and straightforward. But the imagination behind it is impressive. This is a well thought out world about what would happen if food fell from the sky. At first it seems fine, but the consequences when things get out of hand are quite realistic.

The pictures make the book even better. In fact, some of the best jokes are in the pictures, so take the time to look at all of them closely. The pictures of the real world setting are very realistic line drawings. But once we get to the fantasy tale, red, yellow, and a yellow-green are introduced as well. It's amazing how just those two additional colors make the drawings come alive even more.

This book is perfect for older pre-school and early elementary students. They'll appreciate the creativity and silly humor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost for nearly 20 years!, 22 July 2001
G. King "gk100" (York) - See all my reviews
My sister and me loved this book, we used to get it out all the time at the local library. When it disappeared, we asked the librarians to find it. When they couldn't, we waited, and we asked again a few weeks later. They couldn't again...
That was in 1983 and we've been looking for it in childrens' bookshops ever since. Everyone with children should have a copy of this and I'm overjoyed to be able to order it for mine - nearly 20 years since I last read it. This is a truly memorable book and to this day, I still can't look at maple syrup pancakes without smiling and thinking of them smothering the ChewandSwallow school. Happy days are here again...

5.0 out of 5 stars Wacky, Fun, Creative -- all things important to a kid, 9 Feb 1998
By A Customer
My three-year-old looks up at a setting sun, and sees a sliver of butter. This inventive and funny book does that to you -- you see things as only a childlike imagination can, and it carries the whole thing off in a perfect little story. Whenever I tell my daughter to "chew and swallow" her food, she breaks into giggles. That alone makes this book worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of My Favorites and Now One My Daughter's Favorites Too, 19 Jun 2010
Kristia W. "Kurai" (Corby, Northamptonshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (Paperback)
I picked up this book as a replacement for a doubled gift my daughter got for her birthday. I chose this and Caps for Sale (Reading Rainbow Book). They were 2 of my favorites when I was a little older than she is, and I felt that she would enjoy them when she was old enough to read them, and until then, I would enjoy reading them to her.
I did worry at first that it might be a little old for her, since she's only 3, but the muted colors in the pictures didn't deter her, nor did the longish story.
At first she prefered Caps for Sale (Reading Rainbow Book), but she quickly picked up on some of the hidden jokes in the pictures and now asks me to read it nearly daily with her happily pointing out the different foods and jokes.
Having read this as a child I knew what to expect, but I'm sure many people haven't. If you're expecting anything close to the movie, then this might not be what you want. The stories are completely different.
Overall, an enoyable book for all ages. Little kids will like the humorous parts of the story and the older kids will enjoy the picutes with their hidden little jokes.
I recommend this for anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Took a while to source (sauce!) the original but worth it., 24 Mar 2013
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (Paperback)
Why did I not discover this as a child?!?! Brilliant concept, beautifully illustrated and makes me very hungry for meatballs :)
A perfect fantasy picture book for children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative, fun and full of food!, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (Paperback)
This book was voted one of the Top 100 Picture Books of all time by School Library Journal. I would probably agree with them. The story starts off in a typical family environment - grandpa and mum making breakfast while the children argue. Soon grandpa Is telling his best ever story. A tale of a town where food falls from the sky. Mmm...if only! I love thIs story. The illustrations are very imaginative and the story is fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!!!, 27 April 1999
By A Customer
My mom started reading me this book when I was 3 years old. I have loved it ever since. I am now 17. My book eventually became really beat up so we had to throw it away. I decided to find me another copy of it a few days ago so I will have one to read to my kids after I get married. I highly recommend this book for parents to give their kids or parents that would like to get in touch with their childhood again.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is one of the finest children's books available, 2 Feb 1999
By A Customer
Like some of the other reviewers I had read this book as a child. I think of now and again and just recently I was inspired to have my own copy again. My original is long gone and hopefully someone else is enjoying the wonderful story and illustrations as much as I did and still do. I can't wait to receive my new copy in the mail! I recommend this book to any child or adult. This book spurs the imagination and stays with you for years. Please recommend to anybody who will cherish it. I found out that a close friend also read the book growing up, a friend that I have known for 3 years. I will definitely read this book to my children and to my classroom. I am anxiously awaiting to read the sequel: Pickles to Pittsburgh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and speedy delivery, 4 April 2014
Ms. Cj Denney - See all my reviews
It was really quick to arrive, in perfect condition and the children loved it. Would recommend it to younger and older children

5.0 out of 5 stars super, 15 Feb 2014
Really funny book. The kids in my class really loved it. ( class 4 ) They drew picures of their own and then they wanted to act it out. The hardback form is great for so many fingers to touch. No damge done!

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judith Barrett (Paperback - 6 May 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01