Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 November 2010
I bought this book as it is by the same author as Iggy Peck Architect which has been number one favourite in our house for some time.
This is a simple story about a bear who needs a doctor and with a bit of imagination becomes one instantly. Both my husband and I spent many years at medical school and we wish we had had the sense just to "move in to the role". Ted does a great job diagnosing a broad range of conditions (common and esoteric) and naturally progresses to a selection of remedies and prescriptions.
The only person not bought in to Ted's new vocation is his headteacher with some serious consequences which Ted calmy takes in his stride.

This is a fun re-readable book which has a few Americanisms which can easily be ignored as the story and pictures are far too good. Enjoy!
on 11 December 2009
I have read this book and the follow-up - Firefighter Ted - dozens of times over now, and they never fail to make me and my kids (2 & 4) laugh. Both deserve to become picture book classics. Buy them now, you will not be disappointed.
on 29 January 2016
There's nothing like a good children's story and this is nothing like a good children's story, believe me. Age inappropriate, using words such as gingivitus, full-body cast,transplant. There is just too much explaining to do rather than read. The 'ted' seems keener on insulting the 'patients' and the adults seem to be unusually stern and stony-faced. It is far too wordy too, like the author didn't understand little kids of 2+. Tries to inject (sorry for the pun) but by this point you're so bored you don't read out the full story and end up cutting it short. My 4 year old git bored once a few big words appeared.
on 22 November 2010
This book is genius. I loved the sarcastic humour in this children's story. It was a joy to read. I've now ordered 2 other books by the same author as her style of writing is so enjoyable.