5.0 out of 5 stars AN INSTANT CLASSIC
Published on 3 April 2009 by pale rider

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure where the humour is?
I read this with my ten year old daughter. We were expecting something funny but only laughed once during the whole 401 pages - perhaps we just didn't get it? It took more than half of the book to start to get into it. Before that we didn't like or care about any of the characters and it seemed pretty depressing. The second half was definitely better but it still felt...
Published 24 months ago by Mrs. C. Mcallister

5.0 out of 5 stars AN INSTANT CLASSIC, 3 April 2009
pale rider (Truro, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ribblestrop (Paperback)
Imagine the anarchy and anti-bureaucracy of 'Dead Poets' Society' crossed with the glorious mayhem of St Trinians and you get something of the feel of this utterly compelling and upflifting first novel. My twelve year old son is not a great reader, to say the least, but I heard about this book from my local bookseller, in particular that it had the most brilliant description of a football match EVER and was likely to appeal to boys and girls equally. My son devoured all 401 pages in three days and is now asking me where the next one is. I was so curious about the book that I read it myself and I loved it just as much as he did. This is a book that is both utterly un-preachy and pro-child - in the way that Philip Pullman is - and combines a plot that is like a white-knuckle helterskelter ride with utterly memorable characterisation. Andy Mulligan is a brilliant writer by any standards - and I am told by his publisher that there is a follow-up book coming next year. Can't be soon enough for this family!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great fun, totally unpatronising with some fab on the edge moments, 4 Dec. 2009
R. Draper - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ribblestrop (Paperback)
I adored this book from start to finish. The characters were rich and original and I loved the fact that they were from a variety of social and cultural backgrounds. I particularly enjoyed the girl in the book who made a refreshing change to the usual stereotypes and would make this books not only the best book for boys that I have ever read but also great for anti-pink girls. I found this book full of humour, suspense and action and I look forward to reading his next masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real roller-coaster ride, 3 May 2009
This review is from: Ribblestrop (Paperback)
I agree with the other two reviewers, but think there's even more to it than this. Ingeniously plotted, with brilliant set-pieces ( two classic football matches like the one in Kes but brutal ) this is strong stuff - chaotic, subversive, horrid and hilarious by turns. Unlike Hogwarts, brilliant though that is, Ribblestrop is bang up-to-date with scientific experiments, robots,helicopter rides, and a great mobile phone running gag. Like all great farces, it leaves you gob-smacked and breathless at its daring, with a climax that is sweetly satisfying. But there are serious themes underlying too - not least "the demon spirit of ungovernableness" which it celebrates ( this horrid but pertinent phrase was David Rudkin's in the TV play Penda's Fen). Andy Mulligan was amongst other things a theatre Director, and his sense of pace, timing and dramatic build-up are immaculate. After reading a review in The Guardian, I bought this for my eldest grandson (I'm a retired English/Theatre Studies teacher). But I got hooked, and immediately sent off for another copy. It should be required reading for all Ministers of Education - and a few headteachers too, perhaps. Enjoy the ride!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mallory Towers it ain't, 23 Dec. 2011
malatrait (Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ribblestrop (Paperback)
It's a school story, but not Such as We Know it, Jim. The adventures of Millie, Sanchez and the others would have Health and Safety, not to mention OFSTED, horrified, but Andy Mulligan, clearly a teacher writing for the delectation of his pupils, knows how to keep 'em on the edges of their seats...I specially enjoyed the no-holds-barred football matches, and of course, though Millie is the only girl in the school, she is no shrinking violet, and takes a full part in all the hair-raising adventures. Warmly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bedtime Story?, 9 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Ribblestrop (Paperback)
Ribblestrop is a great book for 11-14 year olds. I personally don't understand why it's "hilarious" , but it seems these days people only read covers. I give Ribblestrop 5 stars!
( Review by Stickman2000)

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the funniest children's book I have ever read, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Ribblestrop (Paperback)
This is a modern boarding-school story that features many of the cruelties and injustices of evryday life, but the children's optimistic and determined outlook enable them to triumph over all the heart-stopping dangers encountered along the way. The twists and turns of the plot with cliffhangers at the end of each chapter make this a tremendously exciting read, but there are insights into character that also offer something to rereadings and to adult readers. However, the traditional way in which adults fail to perceive children's activities continues : the naive idealism of the teachers is sympathetically portrayed by the author, a teacher himself, but the children have a tougher and much more realistic take on life. Overall, it is also extremely funny.

I am really looking forward to reading the next two in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read! Funny and a little scary too, 23 April 2009
Matthew Guise (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ribblestrop (Paperback)
I really enjoyed Ribblestrop.

The weird world of Ribblestrop school leaps from the page in this hugely entertaining read. The children and adults inhabiting this world are a strange mix of colourful characters I grew very fond of over the course of the book.

All is not as it seems at Ribblestrop and there is dark secret to be uncovered by the fearless pupils - if they dare! Is there anybody they can trust to help them?

Well done to Andy Mulligan on his debut - could this be this Summer's blockbuster? I think it's definitely in with a shot...

Well worth a look - get it now and read it before your friends do!

5.0 out of 5 stars read it in one day!!!, 28 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Ribblestrop (Kindle Edition)
i found this one of the best books that i have read you even get nervous in the dangerous sections!!! :) this book is totaly gripping and it is good that there are now two more books in the series

5.0 out of 5 stars Rachel's Review, 27 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Ribblestrop (Paperback)
Ribblestrop is an exhilarating read about social misfits,orphans and children who have generally had hard lives. At the boarding school something is going on, Millie and her friends are determined to get to the bottom of it whatever the risk. Follow Ribblestrop's pupils on an exciting journey you will never forget. I thoroughly recommend this thriller to mature 9+ readers.There are moments that can make the reader anxious so be warned!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for all, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Ribblestrop (Paperback)
Grate book really enjoyed reading it and now moved on to other books buy him recommendedto eny one who like a gud laf while reading

Ribblestrop
Ribblestrop by Andy Mulligan (Paperback - 6 April 2009)