5.0 out of 5 stars Not Disappointed!
Published on 16 July 2010 by Bookaholic

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I have read all Michael Jecks books featuring Sir Baldwin & bailiff Simon Puttock and I was really looking forward to this latest one with all the historic events that happened in 1326
I found it very disappointing and in parts even boring,I kept skipping some pages to see if it was going to get any better.With the approaching army of Sir Roger Mortimer & Queen...
Published on 28 July 2010 by B. Pullan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Disappointed!, 16 July 2010
Bookaholic "prussblue" (St. Louis area, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Oath (Knights Templar Mysteries (Simon & Schuster)) (Hardcover)
I will not bother with a detailed summary, as what some consider to be a review of a book, of this most recently released of Jecks Knights Templar Series (now published by Simon & Schuster, U.K.). You can find that information elsewhere if you so desire. Suffice it to say that I had considered being patient and waiting for "The Oath" to be released outside of the U.K. Having had it delayed already to July from May, 2010, I wondered if I could wait until October or November to obtain the book. I considered cost and currency exchange rate, not to mention air mail charges. I wanted to see if I was made of sterner stuff, but caved in after a few days. Having just finished it, I can say without reservation that it was more than worth the expense! Jecks remains devoted to historical detail while weaving a superb fictional murder mystery within the historical events of October to November in England / Wales of 1326. I will say that I might have done one or two things differently myself in writing this book, but I definitely could not have done better! Some years back, I decided that I needed to get away from a heavy load of academic reading in various disciplines. I read a few authors in the historical mystery genre, but I am thankful to have found Jecks quite by accident. I found myself obtaining his earlier works in short order and have kept up with him to the present. There are but one or two others I bother to read in the genre, e.g. Bernard Knight, but I find these men the most dedicated to what they write and afford me hours of reading enjoyment.

U.K. readers I hope appreciate Michael Jecks as an author. If they do, they should take a few moments to say so to others. There are authors who exist because of good "PR" more than the quality of what they write. Jecks is a very good author who should be appreciated and given "PR" by his readers in thanks for his work in this series. I, for one, can't wait for the next in the series!

BTW, I appreciate the prompt and excellent service received from Amazon U.K. in obtaining this title.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent history read, 10 Aug 2010
The Oath gives excellent insight into the troublesome year 1326 in England.
I could empathise easily with the various representatives of people from different classes and what they went through. Of course the author used his fantasy in describing feelings of f.i. Edward II, but he used his facts and fantasy to produce a highly realistic and well written narrative. Through the entire series the returning characters become very real and respectable persons. I hope we get a follow up on the lives of Simon and Baldwin.

5.0 out of 5 stars A another cracking book, 31 July 2010
Michael Jecks series of books from The Last Templar to The Oath are all a good read. The Oath is a another fine example of historial fact and fiction mingling togetherThe Oath (Knights Templar)

5.0 out of 5 stars The oath., 9 April 2014
Mrs. Stella E. Bliss (Devon) - See all my reviews
A good piece of story tale history given from the point of view of one of the people who was alive then. Good story which helps to understand the reasons why !

5.0 out of 5 stars The Oath, 10 Oct 2013
Louise Jones (Whitstable Kent) - See all my reviews
I chose this book because of its title, I knew Sir Baldwiin would have to keep his word whatever it entailed. A most enjoyable read, unfortunately I have not read all of the books by Michael Jacks , but I have thoroughly enjoyed the ones I have read. I would urge anyone who likes 12th century history to read Michael Jacks as I think they will find them compelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as expected, 1 Sep 2013
Another book in Michael Jecks Templar Knights Series - you are missing out if you have not started reading this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good plot, 8 Aug 2013
This is the second Michael JecKs book I have bought and read. I am very impressed and while I know I am reading the Knights Templar Mysteries in the wrong order I have now bought books 1 & 2 along with 2 other books by Michael Jecks.

Good story - well worth reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Great who dun-it, 19 Jun 2013
Jecks really is the master of this genre with enough fact to put reality to the fiction. He makes history interesting. After reading his books I have to review the period of history he has written about to learn more. If only it was taught like this when I was in school all those years ago. Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Oath by Michael Jecks, 8 May 2013
Brilliant as usual! Kept me enthralled all the way through, thoroughly horrifying description of the execution of the `baddie` but wonderfully absorbing read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 10 Feb 2013
As a fan of this series I couldn't wait for the next instalment to become available. It was well worth the wait and I hated to put the book down. Simon and Baldwin take you on a journey throught turbulent times, holding your hand all of the way, leading you to the sometimes unpalateable truth. A must for all Michael Jecks fans.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Oath (Knights Templar Mysteries (Simon & Schuster))
The Oath (Knights Templar Mysteries (Simon & Schuster)) by Michael Jecks (Hardcover - 8 July 2010)