5.0 out of 5 stars AN EXCELLENT DEBUT NOVEL.............
Yet another first class novel based in Glasgow - where better. Glasgow is a city of hard men but it has a heart of gold, however, Craig Robertson does not touch on this virtue unlike Craig Russell did in "Lennox".
Published on 4 Jun 2010 by Saturnicus

2.0 out of 5 stars random
I wanted to like this book far more than I did. Crime thrillers set in Glasgow are just my cup of tea and this was told mainly from the point of view of the killer, with the only additional information coming from newspaper clippings. It was a book that just screamed 'me'. Unfortunately, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I expected.

The Cutter himself was quite...
Published on 18 July 2011 by Ali

5.0 out of 5 stars AN EXCELLENT DEBUT NOVEL............., 4 Jun 2010
Saturnicus "Saturnicus" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The story is told by the killer himself. His ramblings are bitter, but he does not come across as the psychopath that we may have encountered in books of a similar nature. I will not go into the story and spoil it for readers, but six murders are committed for no apparent motive. The city is in a state of terror and the police go round in circles looking for "The Cutter". Eventually they have to call in the big guns from Nottingham.. A clever criminal, the Cutter is always one step ahead and covers his tracks superbly.
Mr Robertson is a reporter for the "Sunday Post", one of Scotland's fabvourite newspapers, and he must have been very successful if his standard of writing is anything like that of this novel. The chapters are short and he does not keep the reader hanging on. The facts and observations contained therein are interesting and informative.
I found it very easy to read and did so in record time. To be truthful, I couldn't lay it down.
I do hope that more novels are to come from the pen of this promising newcomer to the crime genre.
I will certainly be watching out for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab!!!!!! you really need to read this book, 24 Sep 2010
This review is from: Random (Paperback)
I love this book, it is good how it is told through the killer's eye's. when I started I could not put it down. I can not wait to read what he write's next, It is hard to believe that this is his first book it is so well written. if you love a good crime book you defo need to read this

2.0 out of 5 stars random, 18 July 2011
Ali (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Random (Paperback)

The Cutter himself was quite an interesting character on paper, seemingly picking his victims at random. His methods of finding victims and killing them all differ. He even contemplates the thought of killing children, if his randomised methods happen to work out that way. However, I found him mostly unlikeable and unsympathetic, even after finding out his motives for killing. The only time I even remotely felt for him was when he was with his wife. Both of them were dealing, poorly, with personal tragedy. It was the only time he came across as human to me. Bad things happen to good people but most of them don't turn into serial killers so why did The Cutter? This was never really addressed sufficiently enough for me.

The characterisation of Glasgow was a complete cliché and didn't impress me at all. Gangsters, neds, drug dealers, addicts. All of them exist in Glasgow, as they do everywhere, but it's not what the city is all about. I do think that anyone familiar with Glasgow will get a lot more out of the story than those not. It mentions a lot of different places with little context as to where they are and I feel only a native or frequent visitor (I went to university in the city) would be able to place.

Another negative point for me was the mistakes in the book. From confusing the number of the person he was going to kill (one of his ways was to walk past people and count to a certain number, and that person would be his next victim) to misnaming a real-life murder victim that would take seconds to look up. The second was a big story in Scotland and the error jolted me right out of reading.

The novel, overall, wasn't bad. I enjoyed it enough to keep reading until the end but I was never really impatient to know what happened next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gruesome but great!, 2 April 2011
This review is from: Random (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book in Cape Town whilst on holiday - I came upon it in a bookshop and thought it looked interesting - an odd place for a Glaswegian to pick up a book about Glasgow but it was fantastic! I read it in about a day and could hardly put it down. It is gruesome and I am worried about the author's mental health (how on earth could anyone think up the methods of murder) but it is really good book. Not for the faint hearted but I am keen to read the next one. The story is complex and you never know what will happen next, (except that it will be grizzly) and despite the fact that the main character is clearly insane, there is a sense of feeling sorry for him and somehow sympathising with him in some way........
Essentially there is a madman on the loose and he is cleverly able to out fox the police and others - but for how long?

4.0 out of 5 stars Glasgow Noir, 27 Sep 2010
Crazy Bald Heid "kennyb63" (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Random (Paperback)
I held little hope for this book fearing that it would trawl through every Glasgow hardman cliche imaginable. It touches on some but in other respects it captures the city quite skilfully.

The central premise is the story of a serial killer stalking the streets of Glasgow on a revenge mission told in the first person. So far so predictable. But to Robertsons credit he pulls all of the strings together in a nice little denoument and abrupt finish. It is not for the faint hearted being both violent and written in the colourful Glasgow vernacular. Easy read in short chapters.

I enjoyed it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Serial killer novel with a difference, 22 Sep 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a dark serial killer killer novel with a difference. This is a diffrent take on the genre as you experience the world through the serial killer's eyes. Well paced and hard to put down with great characters, Ilook forward to reading more by Robertson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark? Oh yes, but what a cracking read!, 18 Sep 2010
ROROBLU'S MUM "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I haven't read anything by the author prior to this, but I shall certainly keep an eye on the shelves from now on.

The book delivers in spades. It has an arresting (no pun intended)story line and the characters are full of depth and give a real sense of anger and despair. The book paints a vivid picture of the area where it is set and one gets a sense of how it must be to exist there. I don't mean in a negative sense either. It gives the reader a feel of the place and it's people and not many books can pull that off without being over-dramatic or over-sentimental. The book gives the reader an insight into the failings of justice and what is right. It also gives the reader a sense of how things can spiral when the system fails you. One can almost feel the depths of the emotions of the main character and ulitmately the need for sheer, plain old cold revenge. I actually found myself empathising with the main character but not for the majority of the victims I'm afraid lol++.

It was quite easy to fall into the pages and visualise the writing as I went along for the journey. That doesn't happen often, sadly. The ending is sad in a way, even though it was partially expected it still gave me a wee jolt.

So, would I recommend it? Indeed I would!

Thanks to AV for the opportunity to read it and to Craig Richardson for writing it. If his next book is of the same calibre I would be more than happy to read it.

rorobluesdad

4.0 out of 5 stars Could have been fantastic, 21 Aug 2010
Rory Mercer (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a début novel, you couldn't get much better. Well, actually, you probably could.

The premise is a good one, the story is well planned out and concerningly believable. The characters are very three dimensional and, when motive is revealed, very easy to empathise with (interestingly, with both victims and killer).

It has all the makings of a five star book, but really spoilt itself for me with a plot twist (which I shall not reveal, as I would recommend this as a purchase) mid-way through. I thought it detracted from the plot just enough to leave a question mark about its enjoyment value without marring it entirely.

A good read for anyone who is a fan of the murder mystery/crime thriller genre, and may have particular appeal to the many fans of "CSI Type" shows (and their accompanying novelizations).

3.0 out of 5 stars This is unusual but I enjoyed it., 25 July 2010
Wilz "wilson9hb" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Three stars is pretty good for me.
This story is told from an unusual point of view (the killer himself) and slowly the reasons for the murders become clear leaving the reader with a lot of sympathy with the killer. As the book progressed, I found that I had less sympathy but an understanding of what catastrophe led to this series of seemingly unconnected murders.
There are twists and turns with quite a shocking ending and, all in all, a compelling book.
If there is a negative, the lack of explanation of how this ordinary man manages to study his victims so easily stretches the imagination and the methods used are also a little unbelievable.
Despite that, a good read and I suspect more will come from this Author soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gallup-Scottish Behavior, 17 April 2010
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Random (Kindle Edition)
One of the reviewers called this novel, brilliant. Yes, it is on many levels. It is one of the best crafted novels of the year. It is a novel difficult to put down, but at the same time on some levels I had to put it down to be able to breathe on a regular basis.

Craig Robertson has fashioned a novel like no others. The main character is a serial killer who has what the Scots call, gallus-an adjective meaning daring, reckless, bold, cheeky, brash, fearless and cocky. You get the picture by now. This serial killer is like no others I have read. He has a reason for his killings, not just the thrill, though there must be some of that. His life has been violated, and now he is lonely and alone, though he lives with his wife. He has thought through what must occur and why. This is a man of intellect and cunning. This is a man that elicits empathy. I like him in a funny sort of way. I identify with him. He has convinced me in some sort of illogical manner that what he is doing, must be done. He has a need so urgent that there is no alternative. He wants and needs, yes, he so needs to tell someone, that he finds himself on the edge of telling one of the Detectives what he is doing and why. He has a need for everyone to understand or at least acknowledge the crimes he has committed. He wants everyone to know and wonder and talk. His crime needs to mean something.

I have a lot of questions for Craig Robertson. How did he get inside the head of this serial killer? Each killing is so well thought through and deliberated. How did he live with this serial killer. He says at one point that he tried to write the novel from the point of view of a Detective Sergeant, but he found it much too easy to get inside the mind of 'The Cutter' as the killer is known. This is a view that is exceptional, and the novel deserving of a wide readership.

Craig Robertson in an interview is described as " part of the new 'Tartan Noir' generation. That Scottish crime-writing conveyor belt is showing no signs of slowing down. "I'm sure that ability to reach the darker side of the human psyche is in all of us but Scots do seem to be better at doing it than most," he says. "We live in what is a relatively violent and aggressive culture fuelled by alcohol, ginger genes and too much rain and the obvious thing is to write about what's around you. Many Scots also have a fondness for black humour that lends itself well to crime writing." Amen, and as someone of Scottish derivation I feel free to agree.

The difficult part of this novel was the end. I needed to know more. The final chapter was brilliant, yes, there is that word again. There is no other word to describe the finish. Kudos to Craig Robertson.

Recommended. prisrob 05-24-13

Random
Random by Craig Robertson (Paperback - 1 April 2010)
8.83