5.0 out of 5 stars Very poignant especially now...
I pre-ordered this book having spotted its imminent release on the day of Patrick Swayze's untimely death from pancreatic cancer. I devoured it in one sitting, as it's a well written story of a man who despite his own (admitted) faults loved his wife and was passionate about everything he did. The foreward paticularly was very poignant to read as he spoke so positively...
Published on 30 Sep 2009 by Avid Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Was hoping for more
I have just finsihed this book and have to agree with previous reviewers. I was hoping to read more about him but felt we weren't getting the real deal. I too agree that telling the reader constantly what he is very good at, which seems to be absolutely everything, got annoying and I started to skip pages (something I never normally do).

His constant promotion...
Published on 25 Aug 2011 by P. Holmes

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars I was hoping to see the real Patrick Swayze..., 6 Jan 2010
C. Rucroft "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Time of My Life (Hardcover)
I had high expectations for this book, having loved all his iconic movies, I wanted to know more about the man himself. At the start, I loved it. I couldn't put it down and devoured 100 pages in the first sitting. He described his childhood and being a gymnast/dancer perfectly.

But then it changed. When we got to the movie parts, I know this sounds awful, but I just didn't believe him about many things. He re-wrote the 'Dirty Dancing' script? He just knew that Whoopi Goldberg was perfect for that part in Ghost, and surprise, surprise, she got it? It just didn't add up. Then he'd quote things people had said, when he wasn't even there. How can he have known?

In this book, I wanted him to speak to me. To get to know the real Patrick Swayze. But, I don't think I did. I got to know the Patrick, he wanted me to. I know many of you will disagree. He'll always be an amazing actor, who I'll remember, but I doubt I'll remember this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Oct 2009
Mrs. P. Ross (U K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Time of My Life (Hardcover)
Received this book today just finished reading it. It is beautifully written with a great passion that you can almost feel. It tells the story of Patrick & Lisa warts and all. RIP Patrick and Thankyou Lisa for sharing this part of your life with us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply excellent, 1 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Time of My Life (Hardcover)
This book lived up to all expectation.I do not normally like autobiographys but this was simple, to the point and from the heart.The courage that this couple have shown over the years and the total belief that they would go far is well documented down to earth and admirable.

Athough Patrick's illness must have been devastating for them to discover the book does not linger on this, it talks of a life filled with dreams, touched by reality and highlights not only the good times but also the troubled ones.

I have always loved Patrick Swayze but this clearly defined what I have always belived, he was just a Texan guy who did good.

I would recommend anyone to buy this book and take away from it lessons that we can all learn from.

3.0 out of 5 stars SWAYZE FANS, 14 July 2010
This review is from: The Time of My Life (Paperback)
An easy to read book about the life of Patrick Swayze. It is not very indepth, and only a very short passage at the front is written by his wife Lisa, had she written more it would of been a much more interesting read. I think you need to be quite a fan to enjoy this book as it's 'all' about Patrick, his emotions and feelings from early life to superstar. There is very little about the battle he fought with cancer at the end of his life. Saying that, I enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 22 Oct 2009
The Time of My Life]

What a fantastic book! I read it cover to cover in 3 days and now feel lost because there's no more to read! It's such a shame he didn't start writing years ago as he had a real talent for it.

It's an honest, warts and all, reflection of the life of a very normal, human guy who worked hard to get recognised in the entertainment business and who had a fantastic relationship with friends and family. He was lucky enough to find his soul mate at an early age and the obvious connection between the two of them is refreshing to read about. Gives us singles hope that there are still decent relationships out there to be had.

The world is a much poorer place without Patrick Swayze in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars IT REALLY WAS THE TIME OF HIS LIFE, 8 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Time of My Life (Hardcover)
THIS WAS AN EXCELLENT READ IT EVEN BROUGHT A LUMP TO MY THROAT AS I WAS READING THIS, IT IS EVEN MORE HEART TOUCHING WHEN YOU ALSO LISTEN TO THIS IN THE AUDIO BOOK AS PATRICK READS TO YOU AND LISA ALSO READS SOME PARTS TO AND THIS BRINGS THE STORY SO MUCH MORE TO LIFE.
THIS WAS TRULY WRITTEN FROM THE HEART BY BOTH OF THEM REALLY OPENING THEIR SOULS UP TO YOU THE ROUGH TIMES AND THE BEST TIMES THEY CAPTURE IT ALL SO BRILLIANTLY.
THEY SEEM TO HAVE BEEN SUCH HARD WORKING PEOPLE WHO I BELIEVE DESERVED SO MUCH MORE TIME TOGETHER AS THEY HAD JUST GOT THEMSELVES ON TRACK AGAIN AND THEN THIS AWFUL CANCER DESTROYS THEIR WONDERFUL LIFE TOGETHER LIKE A THUNDERBOLT HITTING THEM.
A GREAT BOOK TO READ AND A LOVELY BOOK TO LISTEN TO IF YOU GET AUDIO VERSION. BRILLIANT ABOUT A WONDERFUL COUPLE.JULIE

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!, 25 May 2010
Gypsy (Northumberland, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Time of My Life (Hardcover)
I've been a big fan of Patrick Swayze ever since I saw North and South. I bought this book based on the reviewer's recommendations and I have to say, I was very disappointed. I'm not disputing he was obviously a kind person and his love of animals touched me. However, I completely agree with a previous reviewer when they said they didn't see the real Patrick Swayze. For the first few chapters I felt slightly irritated by his 'I'm good at everything' attitude. And the descriptions of his films and set antics were positively boring. I didn't find this book in any way emotional, I felt like Patrick was holding back, letting the reader see the Patrick Swayze he wanted us to see. Which is probably a reflection of his deep-seated insecurities, he just couldn't show the real Patrick. I felt he briefly skimmed over life-altering events such as the death of his father and the suicide of his sister and spent more time describing external things, including the many near misses he had. If was difficult to form an opinion of Lisa, thought she lived in his shadow a bit. I'm not a big fan of autobiography's in the first place and books such as this are the reason why. Overall, I liked Patrick Swayze as an actor and was incredibly sad to hear the news of his prognosis and later his death. But if your purpose for buying this book is to know Patrick Swayze better as a person and how he ticked don't bother!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nobody puts Patrick in a corner!, 27 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Time of My Life (Paperback)
This could so easy have been a desperately sad and emotional account of Swayze's battle with pancreatic cancer and indeed that was pretty much what I expected when I bought it. Instead what I got was a book that tells of a life incredibly full and well-lived. The Time of My Life shows that Swayze went to his grave having squeezed every last drop of experience out of his fifty-something years. His love for wife Lisa Niemi is one of the most extraordinary tales of fidelity and closeness and is undoubtedly rare for a man who, as one of the sexiest men of his era, must have had plenty of opportunity to fool around but never did.

The book is fast paced and you can't help thinking it's an attempt to capture his life and achievements without dwelling too long on any particular period in his life. I knew little about Swayze outside a few of his key films. Like women everywhere I fell in love with his character in Dirty Dancing but I had no idea of what he'd done before or after. Each time his body let him down after injury and more injury, Swayze picked himself up and started again. From football, to gymnastics, to ballet and eventually to acting, he was a survivor and a man willing to start over and give everything his best.

Although both Patrick and Lisa are credited with writing this, it's very much Patrick's story. I believe Lisa has a book coming out early in 2012 that tells about life after Patrick - I for one will want to get a copy. I assume the book has been ghost written but it's very well done. I enjoyed this far more than I expected for a book which could so easily have been about a death instead of a fantastic life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving. It shows Patrick Swayze, warts and all, 21 Jan 2010
ROROBLU'S MUM "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Time of My Life (Hardcover)
I've loved Patrick Swayze ever since his North & South days, playing the dashing Southern plantation owner Orry Maine, being a knight in shining armour to his lady love Madeleine, and loved both Dirty Dancing and Ghost.

I found this book quite by fluke in a local library that I only rarely visit, but as this was so soon after his death, it made me want to read more about his happy marriage and successful career. What I found was a man who had great ambitions, demons, loves and who was a fighter. It tells us how he had to play hard and fight hard for everything he achieved, be it in sports, ballet & dance and even for film roles after being cast as the romantic hero in DD and G.

I loved how long and successful his marriage to Lisa, his childhood sweetheart, was, despite their separation for a year not so long back, whilst he battled drink, bereavement and depression. I hadn't, and seemingly neither had anyone else, even realised that they'd been apart at all, and had always thought how close they seemed to be, especially after they lost the one and only baby that Lisa had become pregnant with. They portrayed being devoted to one another in public, and this comes across as God's Honest Truth in this book. Yes, like all young free and single men, he dallied a bit in his younger days, but from the time he met Lisa when she was only 15, he knew she was the one for him, but that they'd have to wait for their time - which came a couple of years later, and lasted 35/36 years til his premature death.

This book is not about I'M THE GREAT PATRICK SWAYZE, READ ALL ABOUT WHAT I HAVE, WHAT I'VE DONE, WHAT I'VE EARNED WITH MY SUCCESS ETC. ETC., but about the actual person behind the movie star, i.e. his values, experiences, loves and family and how many times he had to battle personal issues and disappointments, and I was glad that whilst the cancer made him write his biography, it was not the be-all-and-end-all of the book. In fact, as the book ends (it was written in summer 2009), Patrick was still battling the cancer that was to take him shortly thereafter.

For me this was an emotional read, that made me appreciate even more the films he made, the person that he was, and rejoice in the beauty and happiness of his marriage to his beloved Lisa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely and moving book, 30 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Time of My Life (Hardcover)
What more can I say, its a book from the heart, beautifully written and very moving.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

The Time of My Life
The Time of My Life by Lisa Niemi (Hardcover - 29 Sep 2009)