Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 27 December 2010
Vince Flynn has written a series of books featuring undercover CIA counter-terrorism agent Mitch Rapp. "American Assassin" is a prequel to the series which explains how Rapp started his career. I have not read any of the other books in this series, but this seemed a good place to start.

The story is set in the late 1980s. The CIA want to form a team of black ops agents who will operate independently from the CIA and who can carry out assassinations of US enemies. They recruit a half dozen likely prospects. Most are ex-military, but one (Mitch Rapp) is a 23 year old college graduate and star athlete, who has his own personal motivations for choosing this career. The course is gruelling and all but two of the applicants fail or drop out. Over the next year, Rapp and another agent are taught the tricks of the trade: how to approach a safe house, how to communicate with your handlers, how to react when you are being fired upon, how to kill efficiently. Only when Rapp's training is complete is he despatched on his first assignment: to kill a Turkish arms dealer who sold the explosives used in the Pan Am bombing over Lockerbie. From here the story moves between Germany, Switzerland, Moscow and Beirut.

This is an accomplished thriller. The pace throughout is steady, the characters are well developed and the storyline feels plausible. It builds to an explosive climax and left me wanting more. Recommended.
on 14 January 2011
I love all the books in this series. This one fills in some gaps about the start of Mitch's life as an assassin. It has great pace to it and I could not put it down. My one reservation is the ending. It's almost as though Vince Flynn was rushing off to a football match or had some other deadline because I think that he could have done much better with the finale. Still, I look forward to the next volume in this saga!
on 23 October 2011
This is my first Vinc Flynn book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It tells the story of a boyfriend of one of the victims of the Lockerbie bombing. The death of his loved one spurs him on to start training as a black ops assassin - targeted at the new breed of terrorists. I know this is part of a series, and I found it a good starter as I got to know the main character and see how he develops from a rookie to assassin. I have no idea how 'true to life' it all is, but I found it entertaining, nicely paced and well written.
on 26 July 2011
The idea of who made mitch rapp is a good one but the book doesn't really flow well as its hard to make super assassin rapp sound human and the last third of the book where he does all the killing is very weak. Part of what makes Vince Flynns books so good is that he includes lots of politics and often shows that the politicians at the hill are more of a danger to america than the terrorist mitch kills but in this book there are no corrupt liberal senators at all. Also mentioned in other books there are no cliff hangers or shocks, we all know that mitch rapp gets into the cia, we all know he doesn't die so no thrills at all.

I think the book should have started with mitch still in uni, training to do the ironman and with his love. I would love to see how the pan am terrorist attack turned mitch rapp from a great sportsman to a great killer but vince flynn has nothing about that :(

If this is your first mitch rapp book then i would recommend one of the other books.
on 25 June 2011
Book 11, in the Mitch Rapp series

This latest political thriller brings us back to 1980 after Pam Am flight 103 disaster took the life of Mitch Rapp`s fiancée over Lockerbie Scotland. Mitch was then a 23 year old college student, a mere shell of what he later became. As in all the previous Flynn novels, the writing style is intense, very character and plot driven.

The story starts with Mitch, a new recruit being trained for a special covert program within the CIA. The author goes into great details describing the type of training needed to succeed in the program. As the plot thickens Mitch is sent on a special operation to Beirut where his skills and intelligence are put to the test to help rescue fellow CIA operatives held captive. The real action starts (what we seen previously was just a teaser) when a fight breaks out and our heart rate goes into high gear, we soon find ourselves page deep in the middle of a blood and guts, torture and murder scenario. Mitch's past skills and his ability to improvise under duress are put to the test to complete his mission and survive what turns out to be a well laid trap.

All the favourite characters are back: Director Thomas Stanfield, Dr. Irene Kennedy, and Stan Hurley, all heads of the terrorist squad confronting the war on terror. Mitch Rapp is the perilous hero who furnishes all the action and brutality needed to satisfy any thriller novel junkie. Once more, Mr. Flynn has created a fictional story with explosive scenes based on a Westerner's perception of modern day terrorism, he emphasizes their ideologies and mindset and how they use kidnapping to make a point.

The timing for this novel is excellent although it may have been rushed in its publication: some mistakes have slipped through that may annoy some readers....All that said and done, I am hooked on this series and this is one of the best instalments to date. The action is fast and furious, very engaging, an adrenaline rush from start to finish.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
"Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless," -- Isaiah 1:17 (NKJV)

Among the many heroic thriller characters that excite us, few authors give us much of a sense of how the person got to be whatever way he is. Vince Flynn takes two giant steps in that direction with American Assassin by showing us Mitch Rapp entering assassin training under Stan Hurley through Mitch's first three field assignments . . . including one that appears to be going bad.

A strength of the story is how Flynn demonstrates the ways that Rapp's potential faith in his superiors and colleagues is undermined during the training process. A weakness of the story is that the action parts are toned down to reflect what an inexperienced Rapp might have been able to handle. There's a curious ambiguity in the plot development that has Rapp operating at an exceptional level in hand-to-hand combat from the beginning. This detail didn't quite ring true with me.

All in all, American Assassin was an above-average thriller read for me, and I raced through it. Although it's not essential to read this story if you are a Mitch Rapp fan, I think you will probably be glad when you do.

I, too, am shocked to see how high the electronic price is. I read the hardcover version so whatever weaknesses the electronic edition has are invisible to me.
on 24 July 2013
Good read and intriguing going back to the start and reading about how Rapp became Rapp.

I didn't enjoy this as much as the original series but it does fill in nice gaps in the story of Rapp just a shame we won't get the read the final book in the trilogy. Flynn was a gifted writer and one that will be missed.

Disappointing thing is and it's the same in all of Flynn's books is that the proof reading is embarrassing. I've never read a book with as many mistakes in it as the series of Rapp book has. Twice in the same page it refers to Hurley when it should be Ridley. It's amateur and since it's gone through all of the books it should have been rectified. How can flat out wrong names not be picked up?
on 1 June 2011
I don't normally read books like this, but after stumbling across Vince Flynn and his Mitch Rapp series, I decided to have a read of one of his books. I did look a little into which one I should read first and several people recommended I started with this one, even though this is his latest novel.

This book details how Mitch Rapp (character from several books written by Vince Flynn that continue on from one another) was actually recruited into being a badass assassin. His days at the academy where he learns the ropes to the days on his first few missions. What Mitch does is off the radar...he's not supposed to be where he is, and nobody will claim they have heard of him - he is a ghost.

I actually found myself comparing this book to an entire season of the TV show 24. Mitch Rapp, and his older 'mentor' Stan Hurley remind me very much of Jack Bauer which is a positive aspect for me because I am a huge fan of 24. I found this book really easy to read and have now ordered afew more of Vince's books so I can follow the Mitch Rapp series.

It's very interesting, and extremely well written (although I did stumble across afew typo errors, and at one point the book refers to a particular character incorrectly - but I can live with that) and I do recommend this for people looking to read a great fictional novel about being an assassin for the CIA, or anyone who loved the tv show 24.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
After a couple of weaker novels, Flynn returns to form by taking us back to Mitch Rapp's origins and training. It is a well structured novel with a number of interesting characters, Rapp of course but also Stan Hurley, Rapp's original mentor and training officer.

Luckily this book did not contain the many typos on the first issues in the US so there were no distractions in tearing through the pages and seeing the early Mitch Rapp and his first assignments. There are still a few gaps that the author does not share with us (how Rapp became so good at martial arts, other then to have him described as a natural) but is it still great stuff. Set at the time of the troubles and kidnapping culture in Beirut the US are losing both assets and influence in the area when one of their agents is captured and it may fall to the new unofficial 'black ops' team to try and get him out.

So we see the tensions starting to bubble up in the Middle East, we see the mistrust between all parties and a frustration within elements of the CIA that their hands are ties and a new approach may be needed - the perfect time for someone like Rapp...

It's a great thriller and one of Flynn's best in my opinion. Oh and the stand out bit is a torture scene featuring Jack Hurley, humour of the blackest sort.

11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 July 2011
A pre-quel sounds a good idea but after writing a series of, generally good stories featuring Mitch Rapp, Vince Flynn has disappointed and not lived up to his usual quality. First impression was 'a good idea and should be an interesting read' but final impression was ' good idea but no real thought and structure'. It read as if Vince got bored towards the end. Hopefully in future he will revert to his usual steady standard.