4.0 out of 5 stars Great reference
Published on 18 Aug 2007 by S. L. Bradley

3.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly as good as 'what to expect, the first year'
'What to expect the first year' was THE most useful book we found when we had our first child, so we bought this follow up expecting the same valuable info.

Published on 16 July 2007 by BB999

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reference, 18 Aug 2007
S. L. Bradley (UK) - See all my reviews
I refer to this monthly and periodically search for specific advice on issues. I wouldn't say it's the only book you need - it's fairly clinical in style and some issues are dealt with in an agony aunt style (quite briefly). I use it in conjunction with Pocket Parent and Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers. Between the 3 books I feel like a well informed and confident parent!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly as good as 'what to expect, the first year', 16 July 2007

I don't know whether it's a reflection on how weak this second book is (or whether we're just more confident now that we've gained some parental experience) but we've barely dipped into this book. When we HAVE wanted to find out something, the book hasn't provided the information we've been looking for and to be honest we just look up things on the web instead.

I also think that during the toddler years, each child is so unique that there isn't a 'one size fits all' instruction book... whereas for the first year all babies are pretty similar on the whole.

I wouldn't bother with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars As ever, a really useful book by Eisenberg, 25 April 2001
By A Customer
I love this series. The books deal with most of the questions that I ask myself but the authors are never patronizing or militant in trying to force parents to take a set course. They are also not afraid to say when they do not have definitive answers, but always give solid advice in a non-biased way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best series of baby books ever!, 21 Feb 2011
This review is from: What to Expect: the Toddler Years (Paperback)
The 'What to expect books' are the best in the market. Given the 100's of books on the subject of pregnancy, babies & toddlers, these books are easy to read, full of invaluable advice, you can pick them up, read a particular paragraph & put it back down again.

This is my third one! (the Toddler series) (I already have the pregnancy & the baby ones). I read mine over & over again. They are laid out very well. An initial synopsis of what to expect, month by month, then a series of questions from parents, very well answered.....the advice is practical too. No judgements made, no 'you def should do this & that'....there are other sections at the back of the book about illness, special needs, to name but a few.

Def well worth the money - you will use them again & again.......

5.0 out of 5 stars What to expect: The toddler years., 12 May 2010
Ms. E. L. Davies "yello-crumpet" (Newport, S.Wales.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What to Expect: the Toddler Years (Paperback)
I bought the first book, What to expect, The First Year and it was brilliant. Very informative. This book looks to be the same. Of all the books I've bought this series is by far the best. Its format is easy to use and it is easy to dip into it when problems or quiries arise. Highly recommended by this first time Mum!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for first time parents, 19 Jun 2003
By A Customer
I found this book to be an excellent reference for toddler development. I also think this book is great for first time parents as it clues us in on what our children should be doing at a particular age, as well as gives sound advice about handling some common issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative with no nonsense advice, 5 Aug 2001
By A Customer
I have followed the What to expect series (First Year and Toddler) books and have found them excellent. I like their subtle tone as most of it is like my attitude to parenting (parenting is an important job and it should be taken seriously) although it's not patronising. If all parents even contemplated half of the advice in this book we'd see much better behaved and happier children. I have just ordered the What to expect when you're expecting as I hadn't found this series first timeround.

2.0 out of 5 stars Preachy and prescriptive, 8 July 2009
This review is from: What to Expect: the Toddler Years (Paperback)
I think you have to understand (as the tone makes all too clear) that the authors of this book are American moms, and therefore have a demonic energy and capacity for hard work that is quite beyond the reach of us British parents. But honestly, if you took all the instructions in this book seriously (e.g. the obsession with hygiene: washing anything your toddler might touch in hot water with a scrubbing brush, as well as being endlessly available, entertaining and stimulating to them) there simply wouldn't be enough hours in the day and you would end up with a nervous breakdown. Which would be no good to the toddler or you.
In fact it is a good example of the kind of parenting manual Libby Purves sent up in her book How Not to Be a Perfect Mother. The important thing is knowing what you can leave out, and keep your sanity. Purves's book was the only one I took with me and my 8-week-old daughter when we went to Colombia for two months, and it worked just fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Guranteed to make you neurotic and insecure, 1 Oct 2012
This review is from: What to Expect: the Toddler Years (Paperback)
I borrowed this book from the library. It's so awful I feel compelled to warn other parents. (Bear in mind, I have an earlier edition, so there will be some changes in this newer one, but it won't have been re-written from cover to cover, which is what it needs.) The first half of the book is done on a month-by-month basis, like most pregnancy books, and the second half deals with more general issues. The advices is so unrealistic and impractical, it's guaranteed to make anyone who takes it seriously feel like a failure. The best way to explain is with excerpts:

On p. 170, The Twentieth Month: "By the end of this month your toddler should be able to dump an object in imitation (by 19 1/2 months), use a spoon/fork (but not exclusively), run. Note: If your toddler has not reached thsese milesstones or doesn't use symbolic play and words, consult the doctor or health visitor. This rate of development may well be normal for your child, but it needs to be evaluated."

ARE YOU KIDDING!??? If your child doesn't dump and object in imitation (whatever that means) by 19 1/2 months, see a doctor??? Good gravy. Here's another:

p. 478, Safe Food, Safe Water: "Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly." Fair enough. "Wash the rind of a cantaloupe with washing-up liquid, hot water and a brush when you bring it into the house (the rind can harbour salmonella, which can harbour serious illness). Wash an surface that the melon touched before it was washed and be sure it's been washed before you cut into it. Also wash the brush you used to clean it in hot soapy water or the dishwasher."

You've GOT to be kidding me. And I could go on. If there were space here I could type example after example of paranoid, neurotic, guilt-inducing advice, because no one could physically follow all the guidelines laid out in this book, nor should they try. The section on eating lists weights and measures of every food known to man so you can have a religious experience with your scale weighing out every grain of brown rice your toddler eats and then panic when half of it ends up under the dining room table anyway, which is inevitable. It's just bonkers.

For a good text on child development I recommend Penelope Leach's "Your Baby And Child."
For advice on eating I HIGHLY recommend Gill Rapely's "Baby-led Weaning." (Still applies to toddlers.)
And for advice on toddler behaviour I recommend Dr. Christoper Green's "Toddler Taming" which is lighthearted, realistic, and encouraging, everything What To Expect is NOT.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Follow-up, 8 Jan 2011
This book is one of my parenting bibles.
I refer to it often & don't know what I'd do without it.

ARRAY(0xa50b7c24)

What to Expect: the Toddler Years
What to Expect: the Toddler Years by Heidi E. Murkoff (Paperback - 6 July 2009)
10.04