As soon as my copy arrived I sat down to leaf through the pages to see which recipes I would like to bake and found myself exclaiming: I want to try that one and that one with every page I turned. There are so many appealing recipes in this book that it's hard to know where to start.

The chapters include: Sponge cakes, Muffin and Cup Cakes, Chocolate Cakes,...
Published on 28 Oct 2009 by isabel in the kitchen

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!
Bought this book based on all the positive reviews. When it arrived I was disappointed. The book seems rather old fashioned to me: most of the recipes use margarine (which I would never use myself), one substitutes cream cheese frosting on carrot cake with butter icing, and many of the recipes don't have pictures.
Sadly uninspiring, but useful beginner-type stuff...
Published on 27 May 2010 by Marysia Bogacz

5.0 out of 5 stars full of bake-me now treats for all those who love cakes and baking, 28 Oct 2009
This review is from: Women's Institute: Cakes (Hardcover)

The chapters include: Sponge cakes, Muffin and Cup Cakes, Chocolate Cakes, Fruity Cakes and Cakes for Puddings. A few of the cakes are gluten-free and these are clearly marked.

There are the perennial British favourites such as Victoria Sponge, Madeira Cake, Gingerbread, Parkin, Sultana Cake and Cherry Almond Cake. Then there are favourites with-a-twist- such as Cup Cake Madeleines, Orchard Teabread and Coffee Battenberg. There are lots of innovative new flavours too such as Sticky Toffee Cake a riff on the ever popular pudding and the first recipe I tried -with utterly delectable results. Latin American Milk Ring was another winner( a slightly less rich version of the Tres Leches Cake), Dark Chocolate Stem Ginger Cake,Spiced Parsnip and Raisin Cake and Pear, Marzipan and Chocolate Chunk Cake to name just a few. And among the Small Cakes and Muffins chapter I enjoyed the Lemon Poppy Seed Cakes and Fudge Cupcakes.

There are lovely full-page illustrations of some of the cakes and an introductory section on methods of cake making and trouble-shooting tips.

I highly recommend this book to all bakers and would-be bakers; there are plenty of new ideas for the experienced and the clear and easy recipes will propel even a reluctant novice to start baking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A present for my Grandaughter!, 29 Nov 2009
This review is from: Women's Institute: Cakes (Hardcover)
My grandaughter,aged 15,likes to cook,and for her birthday received a muffin cakestand. I am a WI member and saw the cake book advertised in WI Life which is our national magazine. I was thrilled to see it on Amazon, and thrilled at the price! It is a beautifully illustrated book, with good simple instructions in the recipes. I know we will have great fun using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Women's Institute Cakes, 5 Nov 2009
Mrs. J. M. Baker (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Women's Institute: Cakes (Hardcover)
This book is grate .It starts with an Introduction about all the methods of cake making. Then each recipe tells you what size tin to use. There are tips with most recipes, a novice can't go wrong.I like it so much I am going to get a second one for a Christmas gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Oct 2009
J. Wakefield (Newcastle) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Women's Institute: Cakes (Hardcover)
I have to agree with the previous reviewer this book is excellent. flicking through the book all the recipes were ones i wanted to make. There are lovely. What i found extreamly helpful is that there is a section in the book explain what you may have done wrong if your cakes don't turn out well. This is something that most books don't have. Having changed from cooking in a gas oven to an fan assissted oven i found the advise in this book to be ideal for my needs. This is one of the best cake books I have and will stay on my kitchen shelf along with the bero book. Timeless!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, 27 May 2010
Marysia Bogacz "Foodie" (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Women's Institute: Cakes (Hardcover)
Sadly uninspiring, but useful beginner-type stuff at the front...

5.0 out of 5 stars You can trust the WI, 26 May 2012
There are lots of excellent recipes in this book and when it comes to baking you know that you can trust the WI. If you like a picture to go with each recipe then this is not the book for you but it is well written and easy to follow. It has helped me to move on from making basic sponges and shortbreads to be more adventurous. It was recommended to me so now I am recommending it to you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great baking book, 27 Jun 2011
J. Williamson "Cookie maker" (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
A friend recommended this as she has never had a disaster yet from making anything from it. Likewise. Very easy to follow recipes and so far very tasty results. Only complaint is that there is not a photo of what it is supposed to look like - might sound daft but I prefer books that have a picture of the finished cake somewhere. My friend bought the hardback I bought this one. Not really any difference. The cranberry and pumpkin seed muffins are delicious!

5.0 out of 5 stars Womens institute Cakes, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Women's Institute: Cakes (Hardcover)
I really like this recipe book. The recipes are easy to follow, I also have the Womens institute Bread. Really worth having . The book was ordered second hand and it looked almost new to me. So I am very happy with that as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Variety, 22 Oct 2013
Gorbyirl "Gorbyirl" (Salford, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Women's Institute: Cakes (Hardcover)
easy to follow recipes, some more time consuming than others, but all a great baking success. Also bought the bread book too

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 15 July 2013
Mrs. S. Oakden (UK) - See all my reviews
So many great recipes in this book, too many to mention. I was really spoilt for choice over what to bake for our event. What i did bake was very good. Would buy for present.

Women's Institute: Cakes
Women's Institute: Cakes by Liz Herbert (Hardcover - 3 Sep 2009)