5.0 out of 5 stars AAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH WE'RE PREGNANT !!!!!!
After the initial shock of learning that in almost no time at all there's going to be a mini me squawking up at me for food, nappy change, cuddles,etc. I realised just how unprepared I was and how little I knew. So being a bit of an informationaholic the quest began. This book happily was the second one I picked up and it does not disappoint.

It's broken into...
Published on 8 Jun. 2009 by Foxylock

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good info but unbearably cheesy, cringe-worthy style.
I was really looking forward to reading this book, after a very long ttc journey. People had commented on its friendly tone and no-jargon, user-friendly style, so it sounded perfect.

Published 7 months ago by hayley

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good info but unbearably cheesy, cringe-worthy style., 6 Sept. 2014

However, I hated it. Absolutely hated it. I know it's supposed to cover everything, but some of the advice....do people actually not know these things? Like in the diet section, this diamond piece of advice...'Looking for healthy alternatives to your not-so-healthy favourite foods? Instead of full fat crisps, try low fat crisps' or 'Don't eat raw or under-cooked meat'. REALLY? It really does cover a lot of but much of it, unless you've been raised on junk food, smoking like a chimney, drinking like a fish with no idea of anything about a balanced diet, it's stuff that really is common sense. And I'm not writing this as a knowledgeable, eighth-time pregnant female. I'm brand new to pregnancy with (so I thought!) not a clue of what to expect or do. I also found much of it re-hashed. You get part way through the book and very similar phrases pop up from earlier.

As for the tone, that's what I hated the most. It was just cringe-worthy. I'm all for friendly, but it was honestly like reading a print version of BBC day time TV, like Bargain Hunt or Cash in the Attic. "Humorous" quips like 'Are you ready to junk junk food?' and 'Looking for a way to breathe easier about the air you're breathing at home?', 'Are the dips in the hot tub now all washed up?', 'Serve that brownie up without a side of remorse', using words like 'yucky', 'achy breaky back' and 'off-the-chart yummy'... to me, well, it just reads like a either a cheesy American housewives meeting (where the girls are all 'Oh darling! Sweetie!') or perhaps it's aimed at teenagers who will appreciate the cutesy language. I'm not saying I want a medical journal style, but it very much felt like I had an over-familiar female acquaintance trying to almost cuddle up to me on the sofa, and want 'sleep-over' talk...ugh. Awful.

That said, the section describing month by month was reasonably informative and the bit detailing the amount on the amounts of caffeine in certain drinks was helpful. I think it would work better in print, rather than Kindle format (which is what I bought it in) - it's very bitty.

Overall, I'd say there's some good info, but if you want a book that tells you what you need to know (not re-hashing the basics your own parents should've taught you about basic nutrition, for example), without feeling like you have an over-attentive female friend trying to snuggle up and be all girly with you, don't get this book.

I'm now on the hunt for a new book. Any recommendations?

5.0 out of 5 stars AAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH WE'RE PREGNANT !!!!!!, 8 Jun. 2009
This review is from: What to Expect When You're Expecting (Paperback)

It's broken into seven fairly substantial parts :

1 First things first.
This contains all things pre-conceptual and preparation for both mums and dads with information on gynecological,obstetrical and medical history and also ante-natal diagnosis.

2 Nine months and counting.
This is a fantastic section containing month by month and week by week descriptions of the baby's growth and progress. Also the range of symptoms of pregnancy is so diverse it can be almost impossible to remember everything on a brief doctors visit. This book is excellent in the fact that it's sheer detail will go some way towards allaying a nervous mums fears and assure her that everything is normal. It certainly helped us on numerous occasions. This section contains detail on labour and childbirth and again is extremely pragmatic and helpful.

3 Twins, triplets and more.
The heading says it all but don't panic, count slowly backwards from ten, then panic.

4 After the baby is born.
This contains a lot of information on breast feeding and focuses on what the mother may be feeling after the initial buzz has died down. Also contained is a brief piece on getting back into shape and post natal depression.

5 For dads.
Sometimes we get forgotten about but thankfully this book acknowledges the important role played by the dad to be and this section explores some of the issues the arise.

6 Staying healthy when you're expecting.
This is a very important section and really helped us grasp an understanding of the facts when we had a little scare ourselves. Very detailed and it doesn't baffle the reader with needless medical jargon.

7 The complicated pregnancy.
Not a section one feels a strong desire to read however the reality of life being sometimes harsh this is a necessary and informative section.

So that's it basically I guess that if you're reading this you're either expecting or plan to be soon so all thats left for me to say is best of luck and enjoy the journey......

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of information - it's everything you need, 17 Jun. 2010
J. Moat (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What to Expect When You're Expecting (Paperback)
I bought this book when I was about 4 weeks pregnant, so a lot of the information in the first chapter (all about how to prepare your body to conceive) wasn't needed and I skipped a lot of it and went straight to the month by month 'what to expect". I have to say that a lot of the information about scans and tests freaked me out a little bit, so I skipped a lot of that too; I figured I would go back to it when I was about to have those tests and only read the ones that were relevant. I found all of the month by month detail really fascinating though and really useful to find out that a lot of the stuff going on in my body, things I didn't realise were related to the pregnancy, were all inter-linked.

Unfortunately I miscarried a month later, but while it was happening (it took 3 days of waiting to see whether I actually was miscarrying) the book had all of the information I needed and which I'd been searching for on the internet without much luck; I knew what to look out for (i.e. pregnancy symptoms that had suddenly stopped), and it helped me to gradually come to terms with the fact that I was losing my baby. The book also has a chapter on how to cope with the loss of a pregnancy, which really helped me to realise that I wasn't alone, it wasn't my fault and it won't necessarily happen next time we try, it's just one of those things that just happens sometimes. It also helped me to get everything straight in my head so I felt ready to talk it through with my partner, because it was all happening to him as well.

We're planning to try again now and so I'll be reading through all of the first chapter about how best to prepare my body for this miracle of creating a life, and I'll be doing everything I can (including following the menu planner) to grow that little bundle of cells into a healthy baby.

I think this is a brilliant book, it's matter of fact without being too complicated, it's fun and friendly without coming across as patronising, and it's full of all of the information you need, which you can read right through or jump around between the chapters that you feel are relevant to yourself and your pregnancy. I fully recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too American to be helpful, 29 July 2013
F. Bartlett (London) - See all my reviews
I knew this book was "the" pregnancy book long before i was pregnant, so i was really disappointed to be so underwhelmed.

Firstly, the book is very American - the author has clearly had some tips from a Brit to anglicise some of the processes on the pregnancy production line (e.g. References to your "practitioner") but it seems apparent that the author doesn't really "get" British healthcare. Equally, so many of the references are American (who drinks grape juice? Or uses a pda? Or the verb "to scrapbook"?) it's hard to trust that the book is in keeping with nhs advice - and often the parts about "what to expect" were just plain wrong. E.g. Your midwife is really unlikely to give you a bimanual exam at your booking appointment. So that all made me feel uncomfortable using it as my primary source of information and i quickly found Zita West to be a much better manual for any mother embarking on an nhs pregnancy.

Secondly, the book is soo sooo sooo boring. The level of detail is patronising in the extreme - super-tedious and inane in the level of advice it gives (aimed at pregnant 5 year olds?). Worse, it's contradictory, "like OMG never do this, it's like crazy bad for you". And two pages later the same thing is fine if it "helps you feel at one with your beautiful condition" blah blah.

Also, the book has tried to cover too much, so there's no real structure or logical progression of topics and you feel like you're bouncing from 5 months to pre-conception to 6 weeks as you read along. It's not helpful.

Lastly, it's preachy. It says it's not, but that doesn't make it true, and there are value judgements the whole way through.

What to expect is awful. There, i said it. Zita West is amazingly good and put my mind at ease whilst informing me of everything i needed to know in an adult-to-adult way.

3.0 out of 5 stars Generally okay, but sometimes confusing., 20 Feb. 2013
This review is from: What to Expect When You're Expecting (Paperback)
Generally speaking, this is a useful and helpful book. Jokey comments aside (which will begin to grate after a few pages), the book handles a lot of 'is it normal?' questions well, and I'm sure as my pregnacy progresses I will find the book invaluable to have around.

However, as a first time mother-to-be, I did find it frustrating that information about antenatal appointments (what happens and when) appears out of sync with the NHS system and is somewhat out of date. For instance, p.19 talks about making an appointment to see your GP right away. I rang my GP surgery as soon as I had a bfp. They said that there was no need to see a GP as home pregnancy tests are so accurate confirmation of the pregnancy is not required anymore, and, that the first appointment would be the booking appointment with the midwife at 8 weeks. Having spoken with other ladies, this was their experience also and seems to be the norm, regardless of which NHS authority you are under, unless you have a pre-existing medical condition which would require monitoring. Also, the 'What you can expect at your first antenatal visit' (p.122) must be out of date as 'complete physical examinations' are no longer carried out - much to my relief I might add having just had my booking appointment, but talk about causing unnecessary anxiety! In the end I decided to stop reading about the appointments side of things in the book and went straight to the NHS Choices website. Much clearer and up to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book that is truthful, informative and not off putting., 3 Dec. 2014
This review is from: What to Expect When You're Expecting (Paperback)
Great book that is truthful, informative and not off putting. There are so many books out there and I do own a few but this is my favourite one that I kept referring to. It is funny at times, blunt, straight to the point but light hearted when it needs to be. I have brought the next two in the series as I found it very useul, encouraging and the style of it suited me and who I am as a parent. I would definately recomend it. Ultimately you should go with your own heart and gut but sometimes it is helpful to refer to something for advice.

2.0 out of 5 stars I dont like this book, 18 July 2013
This review is from: What to Expect When You're Expecting (Paperback)
I don't doubt that the info in this book is good, but like another reviewer said its cringe worthy. I hate the tone in which its written and I dont like the format, this information doesn't flow and I feel like its giving me a headache. There is a whole host of topics I want to read about but I just feel like sticking my fingers up at the author, sorry Heidi, maybe its my hormones, perhaps you wrote a patronising paragraph about that too.

5.0 out of 5 stars So informative! Superb buy!, 25 Feb. 2012
This review is from: What to Expect When You're Expecting (Paperback)
This book has been so good at letting me know everything to expect during pregnancy. I'm expecting my first child and this book has told me so much about so many different things I didn't know. It's the best book by far that I have bought. It even has a section on complicated pregnancies and miscarriages and thats so informative as to how you'd know if you're losing and what to do..
I look how its broken down into month by month chapters and in each one it tells you whats happening to your body, how you might be feeling, what to expect at scans and appointments etc..
This is like a bible of information that is so important.
I think one of the best chapters for me was about the healthy eating. I didnt eat great before I knew I was pregnant and the few weeks after I found out I still didnt eat wekk. But once I got and read this book I changed. You learn the importance of nutrition during pregnancy and it tells you all the things that could happen or will happen.
Best book ever, and its laid out in such an easy way to read that you can just pick up where you left off.
Highly recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent companion!, 24 Jun. 2010
This review is from: What to Expect When You're Expecting (Paperback)
I bought this book when I was around 10 weeks pregnant and I have to say that it has been a constant source of reference for me throughout pregnancy. It is split into months and tells you what to expect at each week of development as well as healthy eating tips, exercises, maternity wear, work issues etc. I especially like the style of writing, it feels as though you have a friend talking through all the various topics in a down to earth and 'real' way. The book also covers things that you may be feeling both physically and mentally as well as things that are nothing to worry about, and what is normal and when to call the doctor. This i feel is a refreshing change from other pregnancy books that I have read which seem to be more focused on the clinical side of pregnancy, such as size of baby, how the body is changing etc. Although this is also interesting in its own right, I have referred much more to 'what to expect' for advice and reassurance. This book does not contain any glossy colour pictures but I don't think this lessens the book in any way and all in all its an excellent book and highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 29 May 2013
I bought this book as its always been flagged as essential reading for my first and much longed for pregnancy and I'm really so disappointed and can't really think of anything good to say about it when compared to any of the other books I've bought.

Yes, there is a lot of information in it but the way it has been presented and arranged makes it practically inaccessible.

It is solid blocks of grey text in a tiny and dull format and is set out like a question and answer session. Unknown people, are they even real?, pose questions and then they are answered in a very opinion based context with a lot of unnecessary play on words to almost make it conversational.

The questions aren't things that's I'd ask 90% of the time and then of course they are subject to interpretation and some of the answers don't even seem to address whati feel the main issue within the question was.

I've tried picking the book up and flicking to whatever my issue might be as I have seen others suggest but the book is redudunant.

Looking through my month's section and there is a question about someone being told they have a large uterus and the author attempts to suggest why... How many people are actually going to encounter that? My sonographere didnt even mention my uterus size. Maybe they should just ask the sonographer rather than guess?

Another question about if they'll get their shape back after pregnancy... They haven't even got a bump yet!!!

I think this books popularly is fuelled purely by its name. Its complete rubbish.

What to Expect When You're Expecting
What to Expect When You're Expecting by Sharon Mazel (Paperback - 6 April 2009)