5.0 out of 5 stars AAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH WE'RE PREGNANT !!!!!!
After the initial shock of learning that in almost no time at all there's going to be a mini me squawking up at me for food, nappy change, cuddles,etc. I realised just how unprepared I was and how little I knew. So being a bit of an informationaholic the quest began. This book happily was the second one I picked up and it does not disappoint.

It's broken into...
Published on 8 Jun 2009 by Foxylock

1.0 out of 5 stars Too American to be helpful
I knew this book was "the" pregnancy book long before i was pregnant, so i was really disappointed to be so underwhelmed.

Published 16 months ago by F. Bartlett

5.0 out of 5 stars AAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH WE'RE PREGNANT !!!!!!, 8 Jun 2009
This review is from: What to Expect When You're Expecting (Paperback)

It's broken into seven fairly substantial parts :

1 First things first.
This contains all things pre-conceptual and preparation for both mums and dads with information on gynecological,obstetrical and medical history and also ante-natal diagnosis.

2 Nine months and counting.
This is a fantastic section containing month by month and week by week descriptions of the baby's growth and progress. Also the range of symptoms of pregnancy is so diverse it can be almost impossible to remember everything on a brief doctors visit. This book is excellent in the fact that it's sheer detail will go some way towards allaying a nervous mums fears and assure her that everything is normal. It certainly helped us on numerous occasions. This section contains detail on labour and childbirth and again is extremely pragmatic and helpful.

3 Twins, triplets and more.
The heading says it all but don't panic, count slowly backwards from ten, then panic.

4 After the baby is born.
This contains a lot of information on breast feeding and focuses on what the mother may be feeling after the initial buzz has died down. Also contained is a brief piece on getting back into shape and post natal depression.

5 For dads.
Sometimes we get forgotten about but thankfully this book acknowledges the important role played by the dad to be and this section explores some of the issues the arise.

6 Staying healthy when you're expecting.
This is a very important section and really helped us grasp an understanding of the facts when we had a little scare ourselves. Very detailed and it doesn't baffle the reader with needless medical jargon.

7 The complicated pregnancy.
Not a section one feels a strong desire to read however the reality of life being sometimes harsh this is a necessary and informative section.

So that's it basically I guess that if you're reading this you're either expecting or plan to be soon so all thats left for me to say is best of luck and enjoy the journey......

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of information - it's everything you need, 17 Jun 2010
J. Moat (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What to Expect When You're Expecting (Paperback)
I bought this book when I was about 4 weeks pregnant, so a lot of the information in the first chapter (all about how to prepare your body to conceive) wasn't needed and I skipped a lot of it and went straight to the month by month 'what to expect". I have to say that a lot of the information about scans and tests freaked me out a little bit, so I skipped a lot of that too; I figured I would go back to it when I was about to have those tests and only read the ones that were relevant. I found all of the month by month detail really fascinating though and really useful to find out that a lot of the stuff going on in my body, things I didn't realise were related to the pregnancy, were all inter-linked.

Unfortunately I miscarried a month later, but while it was happening (it took 3 days of waiting to see whether I actually was miscarrying) the book had all of the information I needed and which I'd been searching for on the internet without much luck; I knew what to look out for (i.e. pregnancy symptoms that had suddenly stopped), and it helped me to gradually come to terms with the fact that I was losing my baby. The book also has a chapter on how to cope with the loss of a pregnancy, which really helped me to realise that I wasn't alone, it wasn't my fault and it won't necessarily happen next time we try, it's just one of those things that just happens sometimes. It also helped me to get everything straight in my head so I felt ready to talk it through with my partner, because it was all happening to him as well.

We're planning to try again now and so I'll be reading through all of the first chapter about how best to prepare my body for this miracle of creating a life, and I'll be doing everything I can (including following the menu planner) to grow that little bundle of cells into a healthy baby.

I think this is a brilliant book, it's matter of fact without being too complicated, it's fun and friendly without coming across as patronising, and it's full of all of the information you need, which you can read right through or jump around between the chapters that you feel are relevant to yourself and your pregnancy. I fully recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too American to be helpful, 29 July 2013
F. Bartlett (London) - See all my reviews

Firstly, the book is very American - the author has clearly had some tips from a Brit to anglicise some of the processes on the pregnancy production line (e.g. References to your "practitioner") but it seems apparent that the author doesn't really "get" British healthcare. Equally, so many of the references are American (who drinks grape juice? Or uses a pda? Or the verb "to scrapbook"?) it's hard to trust that the book is in keeping with nhs advice - and often the parts about "what to expect" were just plain wrong. E.g. Your midwife is really unlikely to give you a bimanual exam at your booking appointment. So that all made me feel uncomfortable using it as my primary source of information and i quickly found Zita West to be a much better manual for any mother embarking on an nhs pregnancy.

Secondly, the book is soo sooo sooo boring. The level of detail is patronising in the extreme - super-tedious and inane in the level of advice it gives (aimed at pregnant 5 year olds?). Worse, it's contradictory, "like OMG never do this, it's like crazy bad for you". And two pages later the same thing is fine if it "helps you feel at one with your beautiful condition" blah blah.

Also, the book has tried to cover too much, so there's no real structure or logical progression of topics and you feel like you're bouncing from 5 months to pre-conception to 6 weeks as you read along. It's not helpful.

Lastly, it's preachy. It says it's not, but that doesn't make it true, and there are value judgements the whole way through.

What to expect is awful. There, i said it. Zita West is amazingly good and put my mind at ease whilst informing me of everything i needed to know in an adult-to-adult way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Original and best!, 12 July 2014
This review is from: What to Expect When You're Expecting (Paperback)
I was given this during my pregnancy and recently bought it for a friend. First pregnancies are so exciting and terrifying that this book was a great comfort. It has a guide to what symptoms you should expect at different stages and then the bit at the end that you can't possibly imagine during your pregnancy; the labour bit and taking a new baby home bit! A must for first-time mums.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 29 May 2013
I bought this book as its always been flagged as essential reading for my first and much longed for pregnancy and I'm really so disappointed and can't really think of anything good to say about it when compared to any of the other books I've bought.

Yes, there is a lot of information in it but the way it has been presented and arranged makes it practically inaccessible.

It is solid blocks of grey text in a tiny and dull format and is set out like a question and answer session. Unknown people, are they even real?, pose questions and then they are answered in a very opinion based context with a lot of unnecessary play on words to almost make it conversational.

The questions aren't things that's I'd ask 90% of the time and then of course they are subject to interpretation and some of the answers don't even seem to address whati feel the main issue within the question was.

I've tried picking the book up and flicking to whatever my issue might be as I have seen others suggest but the book is redudunant.

Looking through my month's section and there is a question about someone being told they have a large uterus and the author attempts to suggest why... How many people are actually going to encounter that? My sonographere didnt even mention my uterus size. Maybe they should just ask the sonographer rather than guess?

Another question about if they'll get their shape back after pregnancy... They haven't even got a bump yet!!!

I think this books popularly is fuelled purely by its name. Its complete rubbish.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheesy and patronising, 12 Nov 2013
The book contains a lot of the information I wanted to know, yet the style it uses is so patronising that I had to keep putting the book down. I would only recommend this book to people who don't mind being talked down to while they're learning about pregnancy.

2.0 out of 5 stars I dont like this book, 18 July 2013
This review is from: What to Expect When You're Expecting (Paperback)
I don't doubt that the info in this book is good, but like another reviewer said its cringe worthy. I hate the tone in which its written and I dont like the format, this information doesn't flow and I feel like its giving me a headache. There is a whole host of topics I want to read about but I just feel like sticking my fingers up at the author, sorry Heidi, maybe its my hormones, perhaps you wrote a patronising paragraph about that too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Pregnancy bible., 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: What to Expect When You're Expecting (Paperback)
Absolutely loved this book. Was recommended by a family member as a must have when we announced our pregnancy. Its saw us through very step of the way and has loads of really helpful advice. I've had mine for almost 4 months now and don't think I would have got this far stress free without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative, 14 May 2009
This review is from: What to Expect When You're Expecting (Paperback)
The book is very informative for first time parents. I and my husband were all at sea as to how to go about things since I discovered that I was expecting but this book has given us good bearing and information about how we should approach the coming months. We think all expecting parents should own a copy!

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent info, but doesn't always reflect NHS practice, 8 May 2010
This review is from: What to Expect When You're Expecting (Paperback)
This book is jam packed with all the information you need and especially helpful for answering those niggling doubts and questions.

The only problem is it doesn't match NHS services, at least in the early stages. To say you should have had rubella testing before you started trying has made me quite worried, especially when I asked for it but was told it wasn't necessary or available. And when you can't get your first antenatal appointment until between 9 and 12 weeks it's a bit pointless telling you what they will cover and what you need to ask them for the first 2 months...

I'd still say it's an excellent book though, and by far the best on the market.

What to Expect When You're Expecting
What to Expect When You're Expecting by Sharon Mazel (Paperback - 6 April 2009)