5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! loved it!
I loved this book, it was an amazing story!

It was a compelling read and very gripping, I couldn't put it down and became thoroughly absorbed by it. I even shed a tear at the end not that it was a sad ending but I felt emotionally drawn into the plot.

Published on 27 Nov 2011 by Free Spirit

3.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking thriller
Writer, Theo Kendal inherits a country house, when his cousin is murdered. He sees it as the perfect place to spend the winter, while he writes his latest book. However, strange things begin to happen in the old house, and even more bizarre, his book starts writing itself. Theo finds himself writing about children living in Ceauesceau era Romania.

I felt this...
Published on 13 May 2010 by J.Flood

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! loved it!, 27 Nov 2011
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: House of the Lost (Paperback)
I loved this book, it was an amazing story!

The characters were extremely well formed and the story itself was a murder, mystery, adventure - everything I would want from a story.

I have not read anything by Sarah Rayne before but I will definately be seeking out more of her books!

5.0 out of 5 stars just fantastic, 30 Jan 2011
Mrs. T. SALMON "upstreamers" (streatham london) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: House of the Lost (Kindle Edition)
This book is so sensational,I really was unable to put it down and even had to take the Kindle into the bath with me. Also it has made me think about the horrors that people of my age were going through while I was living a very safe life. Surely someone must see this as a film (just as long as they stick to the book) All I can say is read it and i hope you will beas moved as I was

3.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking thriller, 13 May 2010
J.Flood (Dublin,Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House of the Lost (Paperback)

I felt this story took a bit of time to get going. It was not until about 100 pages in, that it started to really grab my attention. The story is split between the present day, and pre-revolution Romania. I have to say I found the parts set in Romania the most interesting, as the paranoia and brutality of the Ceauesceau era is brought shockingly back to life.

Overall, it is a pretty good thriller, with a few decent twists, but I have read better books by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars atmospheric, and utterly gripping, 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: House of the Lost (Paperback)
When Theo Kendal inherits Fenn House, following the death of his beloved cousin Charmery, he believes it will be the perfect place to write his new book and maybe to discover the truth about Charmery's murder.

Fenn House is set in a remote part of Norfolk, and appears to be as dingy on the inside as the outside - musty and dusty. After unpacking some provisions Theo settles down to write, but finds himself writing a different book from the planned one, he is writing the story of a child called Matthew, who lives in constant fear.

As the story progresses Theo makes enquiries and discovers that Matthew and his family actually existed, and that the answers to the many questions raised by Matthew's story relate back to the past and to Romania. Could they also be the key to Charmery's murder?

This book is atmospheric, and utterly gripping, I forgot to eat, just devoured the book. When I looked up from the book I had to readjust to where I was, so absorbing is the narrative

I cannot recommend this book too highly. I would like to give it ten stars but I am limited to five.
------
Lizzie Hayes

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from this author., 9 Aug 2010
A. Lucas "bookworm" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: House of the Lost (Paperback)
I am such a fan of Sarah Rayne! I love her books - the way there are always two storylines going on, set in different times and the intricate, yet believable, way the characters are intertwined.

This is a great book - although often very sad. Perhaps because the 'storyline in the past' is set in quite recent history, so makes it more powerful and upsetting. That said, I don't want to put anyone off of buying it.

Sarah Rayne is such a gifted author - she has the ability to make you really feel you are in the story. Her character descriptions and the scene setting are just perfect - you know exactly what everyone looks like, their personalities, the locations..... and all of this is done without you realising it's happening, so no lengthy page after boring page of time wasting descriptions.

I really don't want to give any of the plot away, but will just urge you to buy this book and lose yourself in a fantastic story, beautifully told.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!!!, 2 Sep 2012
This review is from: House of the Lost (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book, I couldn't put it down. The different characters painful stories relating to the cruel past in Romania was truly gripping. Sarah Rayne has a talent of drawing you into her stories and not letting you go until the books final page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent thriller, 21 April 2012
Mrs. J. R. Neeld "kareteko" (cambridgeshire, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House of the Lost (Paperback)
The was the first book I have read by Sarah Rayne and I was surprised that one fan felt that House of the Lost was not as good as the rest because for me it is one of the most riveting and interesting thrillers I have read in a long time. I shall definitely be reading her other books now.

The recent history of Romania was compelling and still shocking that it all happened so recently. One minor criticism of the plot detail I think is when one of the characters is said to have taken Diazepam 10mg out of a hospital stock bottle and replaced it with paracetamol to avoid the theft being noticed. I don't think Diazepam looks the slightest bit like Paracetamol as it is smaller and a different colour!

5.0 out of 5 stars house of the losyt, 21 April 2012
This review is from: House of the Lost (Paperback)
Loved the book. Sarah rayne is a brilliant author. I thought the story was lovely, at times sad but that's what you need in a book. Very moving and deep. Makes you think.

3.0 out of 5 stars not my taste, 2 Mar 2011
This review is from: House of the Lost (Paperback)
Too much padding and not enough substance. Maybe it's just me but I don't want to spend time reading " I walked to the door and went into the kitchen.I wanted something to drink "blah blah blah.I have only once before abandoned a book halfway but this one really tempted me!

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read but not as good as her previous books, 22 Oct 2010
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: House of the Lost (Paperback)
As a huge fan of Sarah Rayne I couldn't wait to get my hands on her latest book. And while I enjoyed it, I have to say it wasn't just as good as some of her previous ones, A Dark Dividing and Roots of Evil being my favourite.
It's not quite what I expected, from the synopsis I imagined a mystery set in Norfolk, while most of the book was actually set in Romania. It follows a similar formula that this author's books all do, a clever weaving of past and present, generally set around a spooky building though I thought this was the least atmospheric of all her novels, she normally gives lots of spine chilling moments, they were a bit lacking in this one. Nor was the plot as complex as her previous ones.
All in all, a lot less impressive than her other books, though still an enjoyable read.

House of the Lost
House of the Lost by Sarah Rayne (Paperback - 4 Feb 2010)
9.36