5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, 14 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Mum Stuff: Because Mum Knows Best (Hardcover)
I LOVE this book, and feel compelled to write my first ever review.

It would make a brilliant Mother's Day present actually.

As a mother myself, I have found this book inexhaustible for ideas on rainy or sunny days. It has taken me back to my childhood a bit which is nice, but also made me suddenly feel like SUPERMUM! I am never out of an idea for something to do, say, make or cook with my son.

I have read lots of books for mums, but this is an inspiration as I did not feel told off, stupid, lazy or just rubbish after reading it. It is empowering to have lots of answers to those kids questions you inevitably get as Mum. I found it empowering, fun, amusing, nostalgic and well worth the 6 quid I invested!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath of fresh air, 6 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Mum Stuff: Because Mum Knows Best (Hardcover)
I gave the dad's version of this to my own dad (now a grandad) and saw this had come out so got it for a friend's birthday. Naturally I read it first! It reminded me of so many things I did with my mum as a kid. I had a real nostalgia trip. I didn't realise that all those times we'd made paper mache with wallpaper paste we could have poisoned ourselves! Really liked the old wives tales and magic bit too. That was fun just as a bit of a read on its own.

The book's a real change from the other 'parenting' manuals out there. It doesn't preach or tell you the supposedly best way to bring your kids up. And it positively insists that kids do stuff for themselves which is a first. It's nice to know that being a mum isn't all about telling-off and being a glorified taxi service. The book made it actually seem like fun and really took me back. For a fun, quick read and some good ideas for a rainy day I'd really recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, 5 April 2007
This review is from: Mum Stuff: Because Mum Knows Best (Hardcover)
I have given this book to a number of friends with young children and it has been a real hit. The comprehensive guide to amusing activities for kids brings back all the cool stuff from my own seventies childhood. The emphasis is on having fun and learning to be a well rounded individual at the same time. Although it is called Mum's stuff it is not remotely mumsy - rather it is a witty read that provides a straightforward guide to giving kids and their parents lots of inspiration for what to do with spare time come rain or shine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't keep Mum about Mum Stuff - a must buy!, 21 Aug. 2011
Got kids?

Want to offer them a stimulating and entertaining alternative to Nintendo and children's TV?

Grab yourself a copy of Mum Stuff, an easy-to-read book that is jam-packed with tons of ideas to keep the young ones amused on a rainy day.

Choose from chinese lanterns and buzzing loops, to tea leaf reading and costume making, to mention but a few.

Clever little sections on first aid and remedies include tips on how to tackle everything from nosebleeds and tummy aches to toothache and blisters and the food sections are a treat with how-to walkthroughs on gingerbread men, peppermint creams, butterscotch and treacle toffee.

Last week my eldest son when offered his 20 minute computer game slot said:

"Could we have a game from 'that book' instead?"

'That book' is Mum Stuff, which in my opinion, is the best value investment I have ever spent on my kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars really good, really relevant and really funny, 20 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Mum Stuff: Because Mum Knows Best (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book. It has great ideas for entertaining children and quality family time on a budget.
It includes activities such as making costumes, foraging for wild food, how to tell if your child is faking an illness to get out of school, bribing your child to do chores (not as bad as it sounds, and it does work) basic sewing, cooking and making costumes. It cover almost everything.

I have really enjoyed using this book and as well as mums and dads it is also suitable for grandparents, aunts and uncles, those who work with children and anyone who cares for children.

Update at 30-10-2010
I have just made the fairy cake recipe in this book. It is wonderful. Throw everything into a bowl, whisk up and 10 mins later put in oven. After 20 mins it's all cooked. Really quick and tastes great.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas cracker!, 22 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Mum Stuff: Because Mum Knows Best (Hardcover)
Just been wracking my brains for Christmas gifts and going through in my head the books I've loved lately that I'd like to share with friends.
Spotted this one on my bookshelf which was a bit of a favourite when I first had it - immediately reminded me of a few ideas for Christmas hols activities that won't break the bank or create chaos... so it's ticked off present choices for several friends who I reckon will appreciate the tips for their kids too. It's quite funny and not patronising, which sets it apart from plenty of other mum advisory books too.
Sounds like the previous reviewer had the same thought - snap! And it's a really lovely retro-ish cover, hardback too so more durable and looks good as a pressie :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Would make a good mothers day/new mums present., 12 July 2011
This review is from: Mum Stuff: Because Mum Knows Best (Hardcover)
Over all this is a good book. Many of the ideas are things that I did as a child but had forgotten about or had forgotten how to make, such as the paper fortune teller, and the home made play-dough. It is written in an easy and amusing style but doesn't have any new or amazingly clever ideas in it, just simple, cheap ideas that mums have been doing for years in one handy book. I would give this book as a gift to any new mum.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mum Revitaliser!, 22 Nov. 2011
C (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mum Stuff: Because Mum Knows Best (Hardcover)
Great fun and full of ideas to entertain both children and parents on those long winter afternoons! Got me out of my parenting rut. I will be giving this to several friends for Christmas.

Mum Stuff: Because Mum Knows Best
Mum Stuff: Because Mum Knows Best by Morag Cuddeford-Jones (Hardcover - 5 Feb. 2007)