5.0 out of 5 stars User friendly, yet fully detailed and functional
Published on 6 Nov. 2012 by Tango

3.0 out of 5 stars I believe is a fantastic book especially for the newbies
I believe is a fantastic book especially for the newbies, easily readable, nice fonts etc. however, if the author could cut the long story short, and get to the facts, the book size would ofcourse be reduced, become portable and have fast access to the repairs you need to do.

Some chapters are 1 page long and takes ages to read. If you look to start repair...
Published 7 months ago by Taxandria

5.0 out of 5 stars User friendly, yet fully detailed and functional, 6 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Total Bike Maintenance Book: DIY Repairs Made Easy (Paperback)
This excellent book will please both new, as well as the more seasoned cyclist. It walks the reader through a very diverse and inclusive "cycling journey", from what clothes one may consider (anything from and between wind-proofing and jacket material to cleats and glasses for light relief) to all sorts of comprehensive hardware and ways of adjusting and servicing information(from various types of brakes to fitting new reducers and bushings). I particularly appreciated the sections with both every day practical tips, as well as the more detailed in depth advice (e.g. lazy way of keeping the chain clean and healthy versus chain deep-cleaning).

You'll find information on all main types of bicycles, from road, hybrid or mountain bikes, and also all sorts of background information that help the reader make a complete sense of why things are designed as they are, or work as they work.

Easy to understand, not extremely technically worded, detailed photos along very clearly explained guiding text of how to proceed to repair, replace, tune up anything from your derailleur, to roadside repairs. And just in case, a very helpful glossary is included at the end of the book.

The much more detailed information of this book (The Total Bike Maintenance Book, 304 pages) compared to the Haynes' equivalent (The Bike Book, 192 pages) also weighed seriously in my decision, you get some 50% more information.

I would unreservedly recommend this book and since finding all I needed in it after owing it for over a month, it gets my full 5 star vote.

Thanks go to author (Mel Allwood) for such top-shelf work but also to Amazon for great pricing, great service and free postage.

Last but not least, since a preview doesn't seem to be available for this book, here is a list of the Contents chapters:
1) Kitting out
7) Suspension
8) Bottom brackets and headsets
9) Components
10)Conclusion

You will enjoy using this book for many a year to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Repairs made simple, 24 Dec. 2012
Have just received this book from Walterstones who have price matched Amazon. Having in the past been an engineer I am very impressed by the way this book explaines procedures involved in the maintenance of cycles. It is both suitable for simple repaires or even more complex work on your cycle. Some of the components on cycles are now getting quite complex to adjust. This book helps to solve the the mysteries surrounding those components. Highly recommended and of course by buying it at Walterstones you know that some of the proceeds are going to support the infrastructure of the UK as I suspect they are paying there taxes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A much needed book, 31 July 2012
This is a very useful book, explaining clearly how to repair each part of a bicycle which has become more advanced over the years. I bought this bike because my daughter's bike had problems with the gears and because it is vastly different from the levers on my bike. I needed a book to explain how to sort the problem out and with the clear instructions and photos. I will soon have the problem sorted.
This book is clearly laid out, so you can easily find the part of the bike that you need and has great troubleshooting parts and very good advice about every aspect of cycling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive bike repair and maintenance manual, 29 Jun. 2012
David Higgins (UK) - See all my reviews
The Total Bike Maintenance Book: DIY Repairs Made Easy

The most I normally do is ride my bike and clean it and repair the odd puncture, not knowing too much about the mechanics of bikes. However I decided to learn a bit more with a view to carrying out my own maintenance, repairs and even minor additions to my bike. I am really pleased with this book. It is well written in an easy to read manner, contains a number of useful tips and covers everything that I could possibly want to know about bike maintenance.

The book is well illustrated with very nice colour photographs and is split into complete logical sections covering just about every aspect of maintenance or repair that I would want to do.

An excellent purchase and I absolutely recommend it to both amateurs like me and the more accomplished cycle mechanic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total Bike Maintenance Book., 17 April 2012
Save yourself a lot of money and "do it yourself". Follow this book it's great, everything you need for the backyard mechanic. This volume pays for itself the first time you work on your bike.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, 22 Aug. 2012
I purchased this book on the reviews shown and haven't been let down.
Yes you can go through the internet and get help that way but this is a lot quicker and clearer than some of the steps shown on you tube.
I have purchased books before and this is at the top of the tree.
There are clear photos of every step and with the right tools you can save yourself an expensive trip to the bike shop for repairs.
I have just saved myself £50 already yso that has already paid for itself.
We all tend to not bother giving our bikes a regular service and this book provides a simple full service for your bike.
I commute everyday on my bike and rely on it totally.
Having this book will get the best performance from your trusty stead and hopefully if not very rarely any break downs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 29 Sept. 2012
The book is well thought out, written in a way that is easy to follow. It covers all aspects of cycling maintenance and repair, including advice on accessories and safety equipment. I think this is a must for any level of experience in cycling, as I'm sure even an experienced cyclist will find areas that are useful as a referral or reminder point, in order to maintain or repair their cycle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book very comprehensive, 27 Nov. 2012
I am very pleased with this book and would certainly recommend it to anyone serious about wanting to work on their bike.

The book is very comprehensive covering all aspects of running and maintaining a bike. It covers all the different areas well and most importantly does so with lots of good quality colour photographs instead of diagrams. The text is clear and easy to follow.

I have just bought a new mountain bike and want the book to allow me to do as much myself as possible to keep it running well and fix and repair it as things wear or break. A lot of the parts and bike used in the book seem identical to my bike so should cover everything I need.

i have started to read the book cover to cover and have learnt a lot already.

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin, 18 Nov. 2012
Simon Cunningham (uk) - See all my reviews
Okay, this was waiting for me after I got back from a one day bike maintenance course. Its the perfect aide memoir for me. Lots of pics. Well laid out as they try to put each job on either a page across a two page spread. Intuitive with excellent light footnotes and tips in the margins re tools, techniques and pitfalls. Im not sure how much sense any of the books would make without the course to bring abstract concepts off the page but I did get the chance to compare this one to others. At under £15 I don't feel honour bound to say that I picked the best one but if I had to put it in order of merit against two other well known ones....no contest. It worked the best for me because its extremely visual in its advice. The photo story style repair topics really shine. Other useful bits: doing a service/cleaning routine/quick checks to extend the life of your love child, fixing those weird creaking noises, general trouble shooting and key chapters on suspension and disc brakes. In short it really lays into the nitty gritty of sorting all of this maintenance stuff out. Knock out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb book., 25 Oct. 2014
Damian (London, UK) - See all my reviews
A superb book.

Those of us who grew up with Haynes manuals will recall (painfully) how an innocent sounding phrase such as "Release splunge grommet housing from offset lever assembly" could conceal an hour's painful struggle, skinned knuckles, swearing-like-a-trooper fury, then welling tears before the task in hand was finally accomplished. This book isn't like that. It gives you forewarning of where the tricky bits might be, and guides us past the pitfalls and frustrations. It's also written with a wry sense of humour, in a way that often brings a smile. I never expected a repair manual to be entertaining.

If you have a bicycle, buy this book. You will not regret it. If you don't have a bicycle, buy a bicycle, then buy this book. You won't regret either.

The Total Bike Maintenance Book: DIY Repairs Made Easy
The Total Bike Maintenance Book: DIY Repairs Made Easy by Mel Allwood (Paperback - 1 Mar. 2012)